Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Half Awards

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

First Half Awards

N.L. MVP
    Prince Fielder- he's first in homeruns and second in RBI. He has been the driving force of the Brewers this year.

Runner up- Matt Holliday, the Rockies wouldn't be anywhere without him.

A.L. MVP
    Magglio Ordonez- leads the league in BA and is 4th in RBI for the first place Tigers. Surprisingly he has played good defense as well.

Runner up-Vlad Guerrero, carrying the first place Angels on is back.

N.L. Cy Young
    Jake Peavy- 1st in strike outs and WHIP, 2nd in ERA and has been dominant all season with a 9-3 record. There's a reason he is starting the ASG.

Runner up- Brad Penny, 10-1 with a 2.39 ERA

A.L. Cy Young
    Dan Haren- 1st in ERA at 2.30 and has a 10-3 record. He's been the leader of the A's rotation and has 101 strike outs with a 1.00 WHIP.

Runner up- John Lackey, 11-5 with a 2.91 ERA

N.L. ROY
    Hunter Pence- without a doubt it's Pence. He's the league leader with a .342 BA, 4th in Slugging and 9th in OPS. He has 11 HRs, a .367 OBP, 42 RBI and 7 stolen bases.

Runner up- Ryan Braun, .350 BA, 11 HRs, 32 RBI in 100+ less ABs than Pence.

A.L. ROY
    Jermey Guthrie- 2.74 ERA to lead all rookies and has just 18 BB's in 102 IP.

Runner up- Dustin Pedroia, .318 BA and a .400 OBP.

MLB ERA

Re: First Half Awards

The only one Scott Miller at sportlsine.com disagrees with you on is the AL ROY

Major League Baseball - CBS SportsLine.com
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

N.L. MVP
    Prince Fielder- He been an integral part in the Brew Crew's success

Runner up- Matt Holliday, probably the most underrated player in the league.

A.L. MVP
    Magglio Ordonez- Best player on a playoff team and he's having his best season since leaving Chicago.

Runner up- ARod- Yanks being average doesn't bring down the numbers hes put up. Most people would have good full seasons with his 1st half numbers.

N.L. Cy Young
    Jake Peavy- Most dominant pitcher in the NL, hands down.

Runner up- Brad Penny- In any other year, hed be the Cy.

A.L. Cy Young
    Dan Haren- 1st in ERA at 2.30 and has a 10-3 record. He's been the leader of the A's rotation and has 101 strike outs with a 1.00 WHIP.

Runner up- Johan Santana, 10-6, 2.75 ERA, 4 to 1 K/BB, .215 BAA

N.L. ROY
    Hunter Pence- without a doubt it's Pence. He's the league leader with a .342 BA, 4th in Slugging and 9th in OPS. He has 11 HRs, a .367 OBP, 42 RBI and 7 stolen bases. Ill agree with reefer here.

Runner up- Ryan Braun, .350 BA, 11 HRs, 32 RBI in 100+ less ABs than Pence. Same here.

A.L. ROY
    Jermey Guthrie- 2.74 ERA to lead all rookies and has just 18 BB's in 102 IP. Did we mention that he is 3rd in the AL in ERA.

Runner up- Dustin Pedroia, .318 BA and a .400 OBP.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

AL MVP: Magglio Ordonez. This is exceptionally close, but I'll give the edge to Ordonez due to his advantage in BA/OBP along with (and you're unlikely to hear this again) the fact that he is the leader of one of the best teams in the game. When it's a tie for me, and the other guy's a Yankee, I need BS excuses.

Runner Up: A-Rod. Easy.

NL MVP: This is absurdly tough since not one player really stands out. So you know what? I'm going outside the box. This guy probably doesn't deserve it and he sure as hell won't get it, but I'll vote Barry Bonds. Yes. I said Barry Bonds. His OBP is over .500 (good for a Top 15 all-time season if it ended today), I think he has the best OPS in baseball, and he's the only truly good hitter in San Fran

Runner Up: Hanley Ramirez, Chase Utley, Jake Peavy, Brad Penny, Prince Fielder

AL Cy Young: Clearly Haren at this point, although I think his ERA will go up enough by year's end to give it to Johan again. His BABIP is way too low and the lowest amongst real AL CY candidates, so that leads me to believe that as luck evens out, he may be in trouble. But for now, Haren.

Runners Up: Johan Santana, Mark Buehrle, John Lackey

NL Cy Young: We know this is between Penny and Peavy, so, flip a coin. I'll say Peavy for fun. But it's so close that it doesn't really matter.

Runners Up: Chris Young, John Maine, the Steel Town Duo

AL RotY: Easily Jeremy Guthrie, although I think he has also been pretty lucky to be this good. If he continues like this, he could be in Cy Young territory, never mind RotY

Runners Up: The Boston Trio (Okajima, Matsuzaka, and Pedroia). All three have been key pieces in Boston so far.

NL RotY: Hunter Mother****ing Pence. That is all

Runners Up: Ryan Brauny Towels.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

It's me... Gene Parmesan
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat View Post
    AL RotY: Easily Jeremy Guthrie, although I think he has also been pretty lucky to be this good. If he continues like this, he could be in Cy Young territory, never mind RotY

Runners Up: The Boston Trio (Okajima, Matsuzaka, and Pedroia). All three have been key pieces in Boston so far.
    Guts has been pretty lucky so far, but he has raised his K rate quite a bit from the beginning of the year and his BB rate has just been sick. Odds are he won't be this good from here on out, but I think he can maintain and be a good #2-3 for us.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...bedard2006.jpg

TSSL - Houston Astros
    TPSL - Chicago White Sox

Turn 2

The only thing about Guthrie winning the RoTY award is I don't think he qualifies as a rookie. He has 4 years of major league experience.

It's me... Gene Parmesan
    Rookie ERA

Guts is still a rookie. He has appeared in the Majors in 4 diff years, but hasn't accumulated enough service time to be disqualified.

TSSL - Houston Astros
    TPSL - Chicago White Sox

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat View Post
    AL MVP: Magglio Ordonez. This is exceptionally close, but I'll give the edge to Ordonez due to his advantage in BA/OBP along with (and you're unlikely to hear this again) the fact that he is the leader of one of the best teams in the game. When it's a tie for me, and the other guy's a Yankee, I need BS excuses.

Runner Up: A-Rod. Easy.

NL MVP: This is absurdly tough since not one player really stands out. So you know what? I'm going outside the box. This guy probably doesn't deserve it and he sure as hell won't get it, but I'll vote Barry Bonds. Yes. I said Barry Bonds. His OBP is over .500 (good for a Top 15 all-time season if it ended today), I think he has the best OPS in baseball, and he's the only truly good hitter in San Fran
    Fisher, I am extremely disappointed in you. You are usually very bright but this is pathetic. Arod close? Without him, the Yankees are probably still third over the O's and DRays which isn't hard to do. Same goes for Bonds. Without him, the Giants are still in the cellar. These guys are having good years but in no way possible are they the most valuable.

George: Dead or Alive?
    AA ERA

AL MVP: A-Rod. We're witnessing (and being a Yankee fan living in NY for the summer until I go back to school, watching everyday is awesome) one of the greatest all around seasons in the history of the sport. Take A-Rod away from the Yankees and this is a 4th or 5th place team.

NL MVP: Prince Fielder. Unfortunately, I don't think his career is going to last very long (I'd say his father is his best comp) but it's going to be great while it lasts.

AL Cy: Dan Haren. Case could be made for Beckett or Santana.

NL Cy: I know this is kind of outside the box and being a Yankee fan probably sacrilege BUT I think what John Maine is doing in keeping the Mets alive is remarkable. Maybe he's not my top choice but he certainly deserves consideration. Brad Penny could get it or Jake Peavy. I go Peavy.

AL RoY: It will irritate me when Dice wins this because of the whole Matsui debacle in 2003. But being a strict rookie, he deserves it. Either him or Okajima but I REALLY find it hard to believe he's going to continue his dominance. I really don't think he will. Too bad Phil Hughes got hurt.

NL RoY: Hunter Pence.

Comeback player: Josh Hamilton or Dmitri Young.

Turn 2

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTribe View Post
    Guts is still a rookie. He has appeared in the Majors in 4 diff years, but hasn't accumulated enough service time to be disqualified.
    Oh Okay thanks for clarifying that for me.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by perforatededge54 View Post
    AL MVP: A-Rod. We're witnessing (and being a Yankee fan living in NY for the summer until I go back to school, watching everyday is awesome) one of the greatest all around seasons in the history of the sport. Take A-Rod away from the Yankees and this is a 4th or 5th place team.
    And not even close to any race whatsoever. No real value there. Great season, wrong award.

It's me... Gene Parmesan
    Rookie ERA

Why does a guy have to play for a contending team to win the award again? That could be a small factor, but really, it should be the guy who is the most valuable in a vacuum. Don't penalize the guy b/c a proper roster couldn't be constructed around him.

TSSL - Houston Astros
    TPSL - Chicago White Sox

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

It just the definition of the award, value. What value does a guy have where if he wasn't on the team, they would still be in last place? The answer, none. I could be playing left field for the Giants and we would still be in last place. Bonds played on some pretty bad teams but carried them on his back into the playoffs or at least contention. If there wasn't a more deserving player then I could see voting for guys that are just simply having good years.

Turn 2

Take for instance Matt Holliday of the Colorado Rockies this season. There is no way that team is going to win the N.L. West, but without Matt the team would not even be close to where they are now. He has more value to that teams success then many super stars have on teams that are winning there divisions. The thing is that I see is that those teams that are at the top of there respective division have several players that can carry a team on any given night and can be there most valuable player, but on teams like the Rockies or Pittsburgh or the Reds they must rely on one or maybe two players that they can rely on to be that player. And for Holliday he has deservingly earned recognition as a top canditidate as one of those players even if his team isn't a playoff caliber team.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

At least the Rockies are still in contention and that's why he is my runner up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast