Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rickey Henderson Could Be Looking To Yet Another Comeback

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Rickey Henderson Could Be Looking To Yet Another Comeback

Henderson wants one more chance
    Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO — Roger Clemens' big announcement this week has Rickey Henderson hoping some club might give him one more chance to make a major league comeback.

Otherwise, he will call it a career — for good this time.

"Seeing Roger come back, all the seed that it plants is ask me to come back one time," Henderson said Tuesday in the Mets clubhouse before New York played the San Francisco Giants.

"I'm going to look at it at the end of the year. I might come out with some crazy stuff, a press conference telling every club, 'Put me on the field with your best player and see if I come out of it.' If I can't do it, I'll call it quits at the end," he said.

On Sunday, the 44-year-old Clemens announced during the seventh inning of the Mariners-Yankees game that he would once again put on pinstripes and return to the Bronx to pitch this season.

"I see Roger can come back and play. I can come back and play," the 48-year-old Henderson said. "They say I've done too much. What'd he accomplish? ... The players they put on the field nowadays, they couldn't make it in my day. They'd get sent back to triple-A."

Henderson played in the independent Golden Baseball League two years ago, trying to attract the attention of big league teams. He hasn't played in the majors since appearing in 30 games for the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2003, his 25th year at baseball's highest level.

Henderson, a special instructor for the Mets this season, is the career leader in runs scored (2,295) and stolen bases (1,406) and is second behind Barry Bonds in walks with 2,190. He also has 3,055 career hits, 297 home runs, won the 1990 AL MVP award and made 10 all-star games. He won an AL Gold Glove in 1981 as an outfielder with Oakland.

He caught a foul ball in the stands Monday night, saying: "Showing 'em I've still got good hands. The ball found me. I was so quick."

Henderson is four months younger than Mets infielder Julio Franco.

"Julio's out there. I know I can play with Julio," Henderson said. "You need to name a whole lot of players before you get to Julio. ... I just want a spring training invite. Most clubs said if I got an invite, I'd probably make their club, but (they) don't have a spot."

For now, Henderson is keeping busy and fit by maintaining the 185 hectares he owns near California's Yosemite National Park. He hasn't hit the gym for a while, but he drives a tractor, rides horses and raises cows — and insists he will win a trophy in competitive fishing one day.

"I'm an old country boy. I don't look like it," he said.

But if he landed a deal like Clemens' one-year contract for $28,000,022 (U.S.), Henderson said he could get himself back in baseball shape in a hurry. By June, no less.

Henderson also is a realist.

"I'm through, really. I'm probably through with it now," he said. "It's just one of those things. I thank the good Lord I played as long as I played and came out of it healthy. I took a lot of pounding."

Henderson said the "bitter" thing about it is that he didn't get to leave the sport on his own terms: finishing on the field.

If his playing career indeed is over, Henderson will stay involved in baseball and even pull on a uniform from time to time to help out. He enjoys coaching players in the fundamentals of leading off and baserunning.

"I always want to be around the game," he said. "That's something that's in my blood. Helping them have success feels just as good."
    If he can beat out someone for a 5th outfielder spot, why not? Always fun to see Rickey on the field.

MLB ERA

Re: Rickey Henderson Could Be Looking To Yet Another Comeback

The Nationals should sign him. It's not like their 5th outfielder is worth playing over rickey.

MLB ERA

Can he still hit and can he still got speed to burn for days? If so why not.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

Ricky is a great player and all but he had his time of frame.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by McKain View Post
    The Nationals should sign him. It's not like their 5th outfielder is worth playing over rickey.
    Seriously, that's who I was thinking about. Whether it's Nook Logan or whatever garbage it is, having an Hall of Famer like Rickey to come in for a AB's every once in awhile would at least give the Nats fans something to talk about.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

isn't he due to be elected to the HoF next year if he stays out? or the year after? Coming back pushes him back again...he needs to be in the HoF with his A's hat on damn it.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

The dude loves baseball thats for sure. I say more power to him. There are a few teams that wouldn't mind taking him I am sure. He is just going to have to make himself cheaper than he is used to.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If no team wanted him two years ago, why would they want him now? Rickey, stay the **** home!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

You know as long as Julio Franco is still playing. We shouldn't ***ch about Rickey coming back.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

Franco didn't stop for more than 1 or 2 years if I remember correctly.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He didn't. But he also hasn't asked for a everyday job either like Henderson has either.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

NO MORE RICKEY, I hear this every year...what can he possibly have left, he was with some scrub independent league team 3 years ago and hasn't played since I think.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    NO MORE RICKEY, I hear this every year...what can he possibly have left, he was with some scrub independent league team 3 years ago and hasn't played since I think.
    Not much, but more than Nook Logan surely has had or will ever have in him.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I know Rickey really loves the game, but he must really love it to want to be a 4th OF on the worst team in baseball.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    I know Rickey really loves the game, but he must really love it to want to be a 4th OF on the worst team in baseball.
    And as Prov mentioned, if he did make the cut on any team it would set back his Hall of Fame debut, canceling the years he's built up. That's why I don't mind because this is obviously a guy who would get a contract no more than 500k, a limited role and delay the HoF; if he's willing to do that for baseball, it shows you just how much he does love the game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast