Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaking News

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Breaking News

As I was listening to MLB radio, a sportswriter who covers the AL Central just broke a story saying that Tony Pena has resigned as manager of the Royals. The announcement came after the Royals lost to the BlueJays.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Man that stinks. I kind of liked that guy.

AA ERA
    Would you want to coach that team?
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

AA ERA
    You know what? Good for Tony. It stinks to be known as a quitter, but if Tony feels like he can't get the job done, he is doing the right thing letting another guy do the job. Tony was in a no-win situation. He wasn't going to win with this group and to be honest, the Royals are horribly mismanaged from ownership to the GM. Tony is not the problem. Royals got real problems. It's amazing how Allard Baird still is working. His decision over the years has been awful and all of his core players have left town.

Tony Pena will be a manager for some team next year or the year after that. I think teams know what he can do as a manager.

MLB ERA
    ^very ture good way to sum it up Steak

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Pena will be on the bench for some team in the near future. Baird should have been the guy to resign. Royals need to shop Sweeney and get some prospects or at least a proven, above average player. The Royals owe it to him to go elsewhere. Royals have a nice core of young guys. Berroa and Ruben Gotay make a good double lay combo, Greinke, Hernandez, and Bautista could be better in a year or two and David DeJesus is a promising outfielder for them. Surrounding these guys with Matt Stairs, Eli Marrero, and Terrence Long ain't gonna cut it. Trade Sweeney to the Dodgers for either Hee Seop Choi or James Loney and Edwin Jackson whose stock continues to decrease in value.

AA ERA
    If the Royals want my advice, they should hire Twins GM Terry Ryan's right-hand man Wayne Krivsky. Krivsky has been pretty darn good along with Terry's assistants. Twins front office is one of the best in baseball and the Royals would be really wise to go hire someone who has had a big hand in a team's success within the division. If they hire Krivsky, he ought to go hire Al Newman, who is the Twins 3B coach and infield coach, as the Royals manager. I think Newman has what it takes to be a manager IMO.

There is no way Allard Baird should be the GM. He has done absoultely nothing. His prospects has not panned out in the majors. Ken Harvey, has been a huge dissapointment, as he was sent to the minors. Angel Berroa, who won the Rookie of the Year couple of years ago, has been a disaster and he was so bad that he was sent into the minors last year. In the real world, a CEO gets fired if his or her decision-making has not worked out. Allard's moves has not panned out. It's time for the Royals to show their fans that they are serious about winning by firing him as soon as the season is over.

MLB ERA
    I saw this on ESPN about 5 or so hours ago. Not unexpected. I had heard rumors on the radio for the past couple of days that he might hang it up. KC sucks. Pena, while I have no personal problem with the guy, had to be one of the most undeserving Manager of the Year winners ever. How you can go from leading your division by about 5 games at the AS break to ending up 8 games behind at the end of the season and STILL win best MGR award? C'mon. Who was Tony blowing that year?

Oh well, Tony will end up somewhere else a couple years from now. Owners never really do figure out how bad someone can be until they've given them a half dozen chances. Look at Norv Turner in the NFL. Perfect example of the same thing.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Thats sad, Tony Pena was a great manager. But the team isnt going anywhere. I think he could end up with Ozzie Guillen and the White Sox on a guess.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

AA ERA
    Porter: You mention the White Sox. Don't be suprised if Tony Pena manages the White Sox next year. I don't think Ozzie is going to last with his nutjob mentality where he attacks everyone every week. If the Sox fall apart and if Ozzie goes through a players revolt, expect Tony Pena to be the next manager. I know Hawk Harrelson, who does the White Sox games and who has Jerry Reinsdorf's ear, has been a huge booster of Tony for years.

If Pena quit last year, you know Omar Minaya would have hired him as the Mets manager instead of Willie Randolph considering how Omar has a comfort level with the Hispanics.

Lynch: The Manager of the Year was over in July. Writers gave Pena the award considering how he got the most out of that team with the stars align and everything.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Steak: It just makes logical sense he will probably be brought as a bench coach for the White Sox. Ozzie will find a way to f this up and Tony will be the heir apperant.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

AA ERA
    Actually, don't expect Ozzie to hire Pena as his bench coach considering Pena could be a threat to his job. Ozzie is stupid, but not this stupid. I know Mets GM Steve Phillips wanted to hire Buck Showalter as Bobby Valentine's bench coach years ago yet Showalter declined because he did not want to be a presence towards Valentine not to mention Valentine would not feel comfortable with him.

If Pena is a bench coach, he will be a bench coach for a very secure manager like Hargrove or Terry Francona.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter99
    Thats sad, Tony Pena was a great manager. But the team isnt going anywhere. I think he could end up with Ozzie Guillen and the White Sox on a guess.
    WHAT!??!!?

PLEASE ... SOMEONE tell me how Pena was a "Great Manager"! Please. I've been asking for 3 years now and no one can give me an acceptable manager. He may be a "great guy", but he's a pretty shitty manager.

Code:
    Tony Pena's managerial record

Year Wins Losses Pct. Pos. 

2005 8	 25	.242	5th 
    2004 58	104	.358	4th 
    2003 83   79	.512	3rd 
    2002 49	   77	.389	5th
    That makes the guy a .409 career manager. Please somone, I beg you, show me how and where this guy could -EVER- be considered "great"

MLB ERA
    ()(!@#&*()!*@&#(*!@^*(&^*&!^!!!!!!

I hate that stupid [code] tag!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast