Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaking News

AA ERA
    Lynch: Pena wasn't winning with this group of losers. I doubt Tony Larussa, Abner Doubleday, Bobby Cox, Jack McKeon, Ron Gardenhire, or any great manager can make chicken salad out of dog doo-doo. Lou Piniella is a very good manager, but he hasn't won much with the D-Rays because he has nothing to work with. Does that make him a bad manager? Definitely not. Tom Kelly had crap to work with in the middle to late ninties, but does that make him a bad manager, no. Felipe Alou had garbage to work with when the Expos had that fire sale in 1995, but that does not make him a bad manager. Let's judge Pena when he has players to work with and when he has GM who has the right players and the resources to work with.

I think what Porter meant as great was Pena got the most out of his team with what he had to work with.

I can't judge Pena. yet. Was it the right choice of the Royals to pick him in the first place? Probably not considering Buck Showalter was interested back then. Still Pena did as much as he could. He did good enough to get another job as a manager for some team.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynch
    WHAT!??!!?

PLEASE ... SOMEONE tell me how Pena was a "Great Manager"! Please. I've been asking for 3 years now and no one can give me an acceptable manager. He may be a "great guy", but he's a pretty shitty manager.

Code:
    Tony Pena's managerial record

Year Wins Losses Pct. Pos. 

2005 8	 25	.242	5th 
    2004 58	104	.358	4th 
    2003 83   79	.512	3rd 
    2002 49	   77	.389	5th
    That makes the guy a .409 career manager. Please somone, I beg you, show me how and where this guy could -EVER- be considered "great"

Really its the Royals, the fact he actually got 83 wins out of a AAAA team was good in its own right. I may have misworded it, but hes not crap. And he isnt a Torre, Cox or Francona.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Pena has been critisized since day one on some of his strategies which have been inconsistent. He was hired because many thought he'd be perfect for the young pitchers we had coming up, and that has been heavily questioned as well. We'll never truly know if he was right or wrong for the job, but at this point it appears he wasn't the right man.

I like Pena and feel he has a shot to be a good manager. He is normally upbeat and positive and a great competitor. Two years ago the team reacted well to him, last year we had more veterens and the team chemistry was horrible, not all Pena's fault. This year they were to work on fundamentals and the team just wasn't getting it. I'd love to see how Pena would have done once they did get it, but the losing and the constant stupid mistakes was too much for him.

Apparently he hasn't been the same in the past month with all the pressure building. Besides the losing and bad baseball, there have been a growing number of people calling for his job. That only adds to the pressure. Plus there an off the field issue of which I have no idea what it is other than he was to testify about it today. He did state that it had nothing to do with his decision.

The Royals are giving him a job in the organization which is cool in my opinion. Wherever he ends up I wish him the best of luck.

AA ERA
    KS: Is there any way Allard will be fired? If I was the owner of the Royals, he would have been gone long time ago.

It sounds as if he is safe for now. His future with the Royals completely rides on how this youth movement pans out.

AA ERA
    How many youth movements failures does it take for Allard to lose his job? There was a poll on RSTN couple of weeks ago about can the Royals be successful copying the blueprint of the Twins success. Most Royals fans voted no. It shows they have no faith or confidence towards Allard.

I know I felt that way in the late nineties with Terry Ryan. Fortuantely for Terry, he made some smart trades that has enable him to survive as the GM.

I don't think he's done that bad overall with what he's had to work with, but with that said I'll admit my confidence in the organization is shaky. They seem to mess up a lot and at times seem too cautious with the young pitchers. We have some good young players in the minors too. But there seems to be a dark cloud hanging over the Royals just waiting for them to not pan out. The Twins are the organization the Royals and the fans look at in admiration and thrive to get too. I don't know if they can get their any time soon, but I'm excited about our young pitchers and some of the players.

AA ERA
    I really hope this one works.

You remember how Chris George and several other guys was supposed to be the next wave of young pitchers?

I like what Allard got for Beltran though. Buck is a solid catcher and he has a potential. Teehan is going to be good.

George just hasn't cut it. Glendon Rusch was horrible as well though I still think he's in the majors. Jose Rosada is supposedly trying to make a comeback. He had real potential but he blew out his arm. Chad Durbin, Kris Wilson,...the list goes on and on.

This group of young pitchers are much deeper and have more talent than the last one.

They got pitcher Mike Wood in that trade too and he has shown promise as well. We also have two relievers up right now who have pitched very, very well. So well in fact that I'll be surprised to see MacDougal on the team next year, maybe even Affeldt if he can't stay healthy.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Killah Sith
    George just hasn't cut it. Glendon Rusch was horrible as well though I still think he's in the majors. Jose Rosada is supposedly trying to make a comeback. He had real potential but he blew out his arm. Chad Durbin, Kris Wilson,...the list goes on and on.

This group of young pitchers are much deeper and have more talent than the last one.

They got pitcher Mike Wood in that trade too and he has shown promise as well. We also have two relievers up right now who have pitched very, very well. So well in fact that I'll be surprised to see MacDougal on the team next year, maybe even Affeldt if he can't stay healthy.
    I could go to town on all the M's young pitchers that didnt pan out.

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Killah Sith
    We also have two relievers up right now who have pitched very, very well. So well in fact that I'll be surprised to see MacDougal on the team next year, maybe even Affeldt if he can't stay healthy.
    I love that kid, Andrew Sisco. He can throw some heat. I think they should have him as a closer. He reminds me a lot like Joe Nathan. I saw him pitch against the Twins few weeks ago and he was dealing.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter99
    I could go to town on all the M's young pitchers that didnt pan out.
    Ryan Anderson is a great example.

I thought he was going to be really good, but he didn't pan out thanks to injuries.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynch
    WHAT!??!!?

PLEASE ... SOMEONE tell me how Pena was a "Great Manager"! Please. I've been asking for 3 years now and no one can give me an acceptable manager. He may be a "great guy", but he's a pretty shitty manager.

Code:
    Tony Pena's managerial record

Year Wins Losses Pct. Pos. 

2005 8	 25	.242	5th 
    2004 58	104	.358	4th 
    2003 83   79	.512	3rd 
    2002 49	   77	.389	5th
    That makes the guy a .409 career manager. Please somone, I beg you, show me how and where this guy could -EVER- be considered "great"

I don't know about what he did as a manager... but he sure had a cool crouch behind the plate.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    Ryan Anderson is a great example.

I thought he was going to be really good, but he didn't pan out thanks to injuries.

I need to find that article i made on them when i was trying out for the writing team.

I had forgotton about Cisco, he has done a solid job as well. I think the Royals hope he can become a starter in the future. Ambiorix Burgos is our closer it appears. We got a kid up right now named Leo Nunez who is a reliever with lots of potential and he had a nice start too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast