Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Justin Morneau wins AL MVP

DK, I think you just revealed your inner desires.

I never said I didn't have a problem with Howard winning MVP, but he was a helluva lot closer to the best stats than Morneau was. Although with my argument...why would I have a problem with Howard winning MVP? He was the best or at least very close offensive 1B in the league and his defense didn't lose many games.

Morneau was one of many reasons they got hot, including Santana, Liriano, and hell, Joe Mauer continuing his hot pace.

The difference between a DH and 1B (especially considering that DH is allowed to play 1B when the need reveals itself. The Sox just happened to have better a better defensive option) is so much smaller than the difference between a 1B and a SHORTSTOP. There's a reason why Piazza and Erstad went to first when they started to break down: it doesn't get much less important or easier than that.

And Morneau hit 34 points higher, and his OBP was 38 points lower, and his slugging was almost eighty points lower. If you want to use crap individual stats, Ortiz had 20 more homeruns and 8 more RBIs, 18 more runs.

Of course, OBP and SLG mattered over HRs and RBIs only when the defensive albatross known as Barry Bonds in the early 2000's was the MVP. Now we're back to RBIs
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

First of all there is no question who was the most valuable player on the Twins and it certainly wasn't morneau. Having a pitcher go out and pretty much guarantee a win is way more valuable than a player like morneau. Therefore, if anyone won from the twins it should have been Johan Santana not Justin Morneau. Secondly, Jeter was way more valuable than Justin Morneau. The first base position is a position in which there are many great hitters and in which the fielding difficulty isn't too high. Jeter's outstanding play at shortstop definitely gave him a huge edge in the fielding category. Oh, and AROD is just so stellar that he is definitely the reason why Jeter hit 343, it has nothing to do with the fact that Jeter is good or anything. You can't compare A NUMBER TWO HITTER like Jeter with Morneau who was more of a 3-4-5 hitter. Of course Morneau will hit more HR's, he is expected to do that brightlights.

And no one wins an MVP award with the amount of HR's Jeter had? SEE ICHIRO SUZUKI IN 2001 YOU BUM.

MLB ERA
    http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASAp...it&timeFrame=1

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASAp...it&timeFrame=1

We all know its Jeter the one who's hitting not Arod, not Giambi, we know that, but having guys like Giambi, Arod, Damon, and Posada, does allow Jeter to see better pitches, when you see better pitches your obviously going to hit'em.

Yet we get people here who say Arod sucked because he only hit .290 35 HR and 121 rbi, same people who said Giambi sucked he only hit 256, 37 HR and 113 rbi.

And it must be big ass coincidence that Jeter is winning these gold gloves since the best SS moved to 3B in 04. He's not even the best SS on his team.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat

Of course, OBP and SLG mattered over HRs and RBIs only when the defensive albatross known as Barry Bonds in the early 2000's was the MVP. Now we're back to RBIs
    Now that's just funny. Bonds was still a better than average LFer. You know it and I know it. And to dismiss the value of a first baseman's defense is ridiculous. First baseman handle the ball more than most. Erstad was a GGer for god's sake! Point is Ortiz shouldn't have even been in the top five in MVP voting. That's the argument! I also find it hilarious that everyone on the Twins knows Morneau was the MVP of that team. Mauer said it and Santana said it before the MVP voting started. Who was getting Santana run support? Oh yeah, Morneau.

What are they going to do? Say that they deserve the MVP over their teammate? Then they'd get backlash and they don't want that. They saw the moron voters were going to go that way, and they didn't want to rock the boat.

And I call bullshit that Bonds has been anything but below average since 2001. There's a reason people have been speculating for years that he would go to the AL as a DH: he's not good in the field.

And let's face it, any capable athlete (and many capable non-athletes) could do what the average 1B does on a daily basis. There are very few groundballs, one hoppers, and high throws that Kevin Youkilis could get that David Ortiz couldn't.

Justin Morneau doesn't deserve the MVP because his team had Johan Santana and the Red Sox did not

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    What are they going to do? Say that they deserve the MVP over their teammate? Then they'd get backlash and they don't want that. They saw the moron voters were going to go that way, and they didn't want to rock the boat.

And I call bullshit that Bonds has been anything but below average since 2001. There's a reason people have been speculating for years that he would go to the AL as a DH: he's not good in the field.

And let's face it, any capable athlete (and many capable non-athletes) could do what the average 1B does on a daily basis. There are very few groundballs, one hoppers, and high throws that Kevin Youkilis could get that David Ortiz couldn't.

Justin Morneau doesn't deserve the MVP because his team had Johan Santana and the Red Sox did not
    They said it before the voting you moron!

They started talking about Bonds being a DH after his surgeries so you are mislead on that one. And he was still above avergage in left before the surgeries.

Ortiz is god awful at first so just about anyone can get to balls that Ortiz can't.

Morneau deserves it because he was the biggest part of his team making the playoffs.

Please get off this Ortiz desevrving it more because he doesn't. Moreanu, Mauer, Jeter, Dye and Santana desevred it over Ortiz.

It doesn't matter! Anyone who was paying attention to news reports knew Morneau was getting voter support, the most on the Twins, so they had no reason not to support him.

And he hasn't been above average consistently in left for a long time.

Ortiz is NOT god awful at first. I've seen him many times. He's not good, but if the Sox needed the DH spot for someone else, they'd let Ortiz play first and risk the injury. If Lowell puts his OPS in the 500's and they have a Crisp or Pena on the bench, they'll play Ortiz at first and Youk at third.

I see no way in which Morneau was a bigger part of the playoff push than Mauer or Santana. Santana provided the best chance for a win every fifth day (and while Liriano was healthy, he did too) while Mauer provided similar offense at a far more needy position.

Ortiz does deserve it more than Morneau, because he was the better player.

MLB ERA
    This is my take on Ortiz, he should win the MVP, but these ignorant baseball voters/writers look at him as "oh he plays DH, he doesn't play defense" blah blah blah.

The same voters who vote pitchers (nothing against pitchers here just making my point) on the ballot, and rewarded pitchers an MVP.

Now how can you vote for someone who plays once every five days over someone who plays every single day?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Because if the guys that can't pitch worth a damn in that 5th day. Generally they lose.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    So if a DH who hits walk off HRs, and GW rbi isn't worth a damm either? Especially since he plays every single day.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83
    Now how can you vote for someone who plays once every five days over someone who plays every single day?
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter99
    Because if the guys that can't pitch worth a damn in that 5th day. Generally they lose.
    My response was only to that question. Thats all.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Yup!Thats a pic of Rickey websoulsurfer's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Jeter got robbed

The "Anti Evil Empire" Bias reared its ugly head and Morneau got the award over the better player.

Don't get me wrong, I am a card carrying Yankee Hater, I just think Jeter was the more deserving player for MVP this season.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dam8610

Horrible decision.
    Yet a few of us had this all figured out months ago, didn't we?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by websoulsurfer
    The "Anti Evil Empire" Bias reared its ugly head and Morneau got the award over the better player.
    Since when does the MVP stand for "better player"?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I see no way in which Morneau was a bigger part of the playoff push than Mauer or Santana. Santana provided the best chance for a win every fifth day (and while Liriano was healthy, he did too) while Mauer provided similar offense at a far more needy position.
    If you can't see it then you are blind. It wasn't a coincidence that the Twins started winning when Morneau got going.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast