Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S3F High-Heat Matchup: Angels vs Indians (6/4 at 8:05 PM EST on ESPN)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

S3F High-Heat Matchup: Angels vs Indians (6/4 at 8:05 PM EST on ESPN)

Let's get some predictions going and let's hopefully have a good amount of guys around tonight to talk about the game, it's been awhile for one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by USAToday.com
    After taking turns pounding each other into submission, the Cleveland Indians and Los Angeles Angels play the finale of a three-game set at Jacobs Field on Sunday.

On the heels of a 10-3 Angels' win Friday, the Indians (28-27) returned the favor on Saturday by scoring eight runs in the sixth inning en route to a 14-2 victory.

''We've been through this before,'' Los Angeles starter Kevin Escobar said after being ripped for eight runs in Saturday's loss. ''You have to come back and play hard. Hopefully we'll have better results.''

Indians first baseman Travis Hafner hit his major league-leading third grand slam - and 15th homer - of the season while finishing 3-for-4 and matching a career high with six RBIs. He'd gone five straight games without driving in a run.

Garret Anderson was the only bright spot for the Angels (24-31) on Saturday, going 2-for-4 with two RBIs. It was his fifth multihit effort in eight games, raising his average from .259 to .280 in that span while driving in 11 runs.

The teams have combined for 33 hits and five home runs in the series, though three Los Angeles errors on Saturday led to 10 unearned runs for Cleveland.

''Anytime you take advantage of opportunities, it will help you get the momentum and hurt the other team,'' Indians manager Eric Wedge said.

Wedge's team will go for a fifth win in six games as he sends left-hander C.C. Sabathia (5-1, 1.71) to the mound.

Sabathia has won three straight starts and five of six since spending a month on the disabled list with a strained abdominal muscle. His most recent performance was his worst since returning but he still managed to beat the Chicago White Sox, allowing three runs - two earned - and seven hits in six innings of a 4-3 victory on Tuesday.

Sabathia, who had thrown complete games in his previous two outings, is 14-2 with a 1.97 ERA since Aug. 5, 2005. He has surrendered five earned runs in his last 40 innings, walking four and striking out 36.

''I'm feeling great,'' Sabathia said. ''I can go out there with a clear mind and make my pitches.''

In nine career starts against the Angels, he's 3-4 with a 4.72 ERA.

Right-hander John Lackey (3-3, 3.36) will face Sabathia as he goes for his first win since April 26.

After going 3-1 in April, Lackey lost his first two starts in May and did not get a decision in his final four outings of the month.

He pitched well in a 4-3, 11-inning victory over Minnesota on Monday, allowing three runs - two earned - and striking out seven in eight innings.

Lackey is 2-3 with a 2.59 career ERA against the Indians.

MLB ERA
    Predicting an easy Indians win, 6-2.

Sabathia's just pitching too well to vote against him at this point. I *should* be here to get some discussion on later tonight, and I hope to see some more of us there.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Agreed. I am going with an Indians 4-3 win (with two of the runs being allowed from the Indians bullpen.) Sabathia is having a wicked season so far, strong strikeout total, nice K/BB ratio and he's only allowed 6 EBH the whole season. Of course he does this after I rag on him last season, I wonder how long he can keep going at this pace.

MLB ERA
    Probably not much longer. I think he'll still pitch very well, better than he has so far in his career, but not at the Cy Young run-away winner pace he has going on right now. Fat people in the modern major league don't usually keep this up for long, though he differs from most of them in that he can both overpower people (which he has so far in 06 made secondary, much to his benefit) and hit pitches right on the corners (which he only seems to have learned this year).

Of course now I've probably jinxed him and I expect him to give up 8 ER in 2 IP now.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Thus making both of our predicitions look like garbage, thanks McKain.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Cleveland is on a roll right now so I'm giving it to the Indians 5-2.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Sunday night baseball, let's go gang.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the insight Joe Morgan, so Sabathia is now being called ace rightfully so because of his dominant pitching? I had no idea that being called an ace when it calls for it was evident of great pitching.

Morgan's a toolbox.

And gogo Tim Salmon
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Yes Joe, his fastball is fast. But it also has movement!

And yes Jon, C.C. is a big dude.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Figgins got all over that one. Him and Freel have both shown big power today. Awesome.

lol, after slurping on C.C. for 10 minutes, Chone Figgins hits a "shocking" homerun.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    Yes Joe, his fastball is fast. But it also has movement!
    And it's even better when he can locate it. Genius!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    *too many opportunities to make fun of Morgan.... head explodes*

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast