Thread: Dodgers to interview Gillick for GM

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Dodgers to interview Gillick for GM

Dodgers to interview Gillick for GM

October 30, 2005
    LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The Los Angeles Dodgers have received permission to interview Seattle Mariners adviser Pat Gillick to replace fired general manager Paul DePodesta.

No interview date has been set for Gillick, who led Toronto to consecutive World Series titles in the 1990s and was a general manager with Baltimore and the Mariners.

''He's expected to be interviewed sometime in the near future,'' team spokesman Josh Rawitch said Sunday.

Owner Frank McCourt also interviewed Gillick for the position in February 2004, but instead chose DePodesta, who he fired Saturday.

Gillick has also interviewed with the Philadelphia Phillies to replace Ed Wade, who was fired Oct. 10 as general manager.

Gillick won five AL East titles and consecutive championships (1992-93) in Toronto, led the Orioles to the ALCS in 1996 and 1997, and helped the Mariners to the ALCS in 2000 and 2001. Seattle tied a major league record with 116 wins in 2001 and the Mariners' 393 victories during Gillick's four seasons were the most in baseball.

McCourt has set no timetable for hiring a GM, but did say the search for a manager to replace Jim Tracy will be on hold until a GM is in place.

The Dodgers' 71-91 record this year was their worst since 1992 and second-poorest since moving to Los Angeles in 1958.

Updated on Sunday, Oct 30, 2005 6:35 pm EST
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

McCourt said he wants someone with leadership and experience, so it is no surprise Gillick is atop the very short list of candidates.

MLB ERA
    Did I not call this?
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    Gillick, good luck with him.

I got tired with the same "Standing Pat" headline after the 2nd year.
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3...irosig6vx8.jpg
    http://strike3forums.com/images/Mari...riners-sig.jpg
    Mariners Artwork | Request a Sig
    Circular logic aside, Mr Mims, you have yet to provide a single credible reason why you are, in fact, hot.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    Did I not call this?
    Yes you did, I called the Valentine and Hershiser speculation too.

As long as Gillick doesn't leave a power reliever like Jenks off his 40-man roster, give Aaron Sele big bucks to be the ace, or let his scouting director draft Joe Saunders over Scott Kazmir, then they should be in better shape than the Angels in the near future.

MLB ERA
    uh huh, keep going
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    uh huh, keep going
    I could go on in the Angels forum, but I'll wait for your next annual appearance there.

MLB ERA
    If you're angry, take it out on the McCourt boys. After all, they're the ones running your team into the ground.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If you're angry, take it out on the McCourt boys. After all, they're the ones running your team into the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    Good old Stand Pat Gillick knows when to jump the ship before it sinks. Of course, if he takes the ship to the promised land before it sinks, Pat can afterwards shoot the owner McCourt and burn the ship down for all we care.
    Does this summarize what you're looking for what I think of McCourt?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If they get Gillick, how long before Pat Borders, Dave Hansen and John Olerud end up in LA. The fact of the matter is this team has a high chance of getting older then when they suck, he leaves. Kinda sounds like another LA Head Coach I hate so dearly.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)