Thread: Depo gonzo?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Dodgers Depo gonzo?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2207524

Owner Frank McCourt could fire Dodgers general manager Paul DePodesta this weekend, two Los Angeles newspapers reported Saturday.

The team is searching for a new manager, but that is apparently on hold pending McCourt talking to DePodesta, sources in the organization told the Los Angeles Times and the Los Angeles Daily News.

DePodesta has been with the team since 2004 and has three years remaining on his contract.

Earlier in the week, Orel Hershiser interviewed for the managing job. Hershiser, one of the key members of the 1988 World Series championship team, met with McCourt and adviser Tommy Lasorda, but not DePodesta, the Times reported.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    McCourt would be clueless to fire DePo especially when DePo was McCourt's handpicked GM. DePo's moves haven't worked out as expected, but he was Billy Beane's second set of eyes and ears and his computer in Oakland. If McCourt indeeds removes his priorly inexperienced GM, he may hire a retread GM. That's fine if his name is Gerry Hunsicker, but if the person is Ed Wade or anyone similar to Kevin Malone, McCourt needs to go.

Interesting post on anothere forum I go to...

"i dont know why so many dodger fans blame him for the teams problems... the whole damn team was put on the DL this year. and if he resigned all the "leaders" of the time last year, the team this year would've been just as bad... If not worse.

Kent turned out to be a great signing and Lowe had a good year (3.6 era, 200+ innings)

beltre turned out to be a complete bust. the league figured him out. finley/lima also had terrible years for their teams. now that i look at it, im glad with what depodesta did this offseason.. he didn't resign 3 players that everyone wanted back and he turned out to be correct. and 2 of the 3 signings he made worked out pretty well. it woudl've been 3 but drew suffered that freak injury."
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I didn't want Finley and Lima back anyway. Even Beltre critics had to be mad that the team let its MVP sign with Seattle. It would be like the Red Sox letting Manny or Ortiz leave. Now everyone is glad Beltre didn't re-sign a huge contract with L.A., although Mike Edwards was hardly a capable replacement for Beltre. I've said the same thing about Drew's injury. As for Lowe, I'm still critical of him until he shows he can pitch for the next 3 seasons as well as he did after he moved from the 1st base side to the 3rd base side of the mound. But by and large, DePo shouldn't be removed after just 2 seasons considering Cam Bonifay, Ed Wade, and Chuck Lamar had longer tenures.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

MLB ERA
    Could Jim Bowden be far behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    Mark this prediction.

Pat Gillick will be the replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    So where is depo going? I really wish the Reds fired DanO by now. Any clue where he may go?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    Mark this prediction.

Pat Gillick will be the replacement.
    Good old Stand Pat Gillick knows when to jump the ship before it sinks. Of course, if he takes the ship to the promised land before it sinks, Pat can afterwards shoot the owner McCourt and burn the ship down for all we care.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    If McCourt indeeds removes his priorly inexperienced GM, he may hire a retread GM. That's fine if his name is Gerry Hunsicker, but if the person is Ed Wade or anyone similar to Kevin Malone, McCourt needs to go.
    what about Kevin Towers?

Other potential candidates include Mark Newman (senior vice president, New York Yankees), Kevin Towers (general manager, San Diego), and Dennis Gilbert (special advisor to the chairman, Chicago White Sox).
    I got the above from another forum, the link he gave was to the LA Times, but you have to register. So I just took him for hi word.

But here's the link anyways.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseba...track=morenews
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if L.A. would hire a division rival GM if SD let Towers walk. Towers seems to be a conservative GM as Dan Evans was.