Thread: Dodgers Trying to Trim the Fat

MLB ERA

Contract Dodgers Trying to Trim the Fat

Dodgers may be working on deal to unload Andruw Jones - Los Angeles Times

The Los Angeles Times reports that the Dodgers are working on a deal that would allow them to cut ties with Andruw Jones.
    The Times' T.J. Simers offers no details as to how this will happen, just that it will miraculously somehow save the Dodgers' $12 million. Dodgers GM Ned Colletti declined comment.
    Well, we all know they'd love to get out from underneath his contract, but either they would have to deal him, restructure his contract, or buy him out. The thing is, it is EXTREMELY rare that an MLB player is bought out. And why would Andruw take a paycut? So, I'm not sure that there's any way the Dodgers "save money" on Jones without trading him, and I don't know if that'll happen.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Dodgers Trying to Trim the Fat

According to SI.com, the Dodgers and Andruw Jones have agreed to a restuctured deal that likely will result in the outfielder's departure.
    Jones has reportedly agreed to defer more than half of his salary, an arrangement that could save the Dodgers $12 million in 2009 and facilitate the return of Manny Ramirez. As much money as the Dodgers have subtracted by jettisoning Derek Lowe and Brad Penny and by backloading Rafael Furcal's contract, there's no excuse for them not to get Ramirez re-signed. They may even have enough left over to bring in a veteran starter.
    Pitching is a bigger issue than Manny in my mind for the Dodgers. The closer situation is iffy and the rotation has holes. Jones wasn't happy there and the Dodgers were definitely not happy with Jones' fat ass. It will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

MLB ERA

It appears Andruw Jones is done as a Dodger - Los Angeles Times

Dodgers rework deal, Andruw likely gone | FanNation

Hot Stove Blog: Dodgers, Jones reach agreement

According to multiple reports, Andruw Jones and the Dodgers have reached an agreement. Jones will make only 5 million dollars this year, but by deferring money, it gains interest and results in him most likely getting a larger total payout. Also, the Dodgers agree to either trade or release Jones before spring training, and perhaps as soon as this month. The only question in my mind is, why would anyone trade for him if they KNOW that the Dodgers are now contractually required to release him fairly soon?

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Did Andruw Jones fall off a cliff and got paralyzed from neck down? No? Not newsworthy to me then.

MLB ERA

Ought to have a poll which gets Real's goat more... Jason Schmidt or Andruw Jones.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

I can't believe how bad AJ has gotten since last year with the Braves. I would of thought he would of broken out of this awful spell he has been under for 2 seasons.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Agent Scott Boras said the Dodgers will release Andruw Jones on January 15 if they're unable to swing a trade for him.
    According to MLB.com, the Braves may have interest in bringing Jones back to Atlanta, but it's doubtful they would give up anything significant to grab him. The overweight center fielder will earn $5 million this season.
    Who is going to trade for this guy?

MLB ERA

That's my point, no one is going to trade for him if they HAVE to release him as part of the deferral deal.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

While they have discussed trades with a couple of teams this week, the Dodgers are prepared to release Andruw Jones on Thursday.
    Their agreement with Jones guaranteed that he'd be let go on Jan. 15 if he wasn't traded. It's possible that Jones will return to Atlanta with the Braves.
    D-day is tomorrow. Rejoice Dodger fans!

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

"Never again will anyone suffer the atrocity, the injustice, and the agony..." - Elie Wiesel