Thread: Vlad the Injured

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Angels Vlad the Injured

Vladimir Guerrero is out indefinitely with a strained pectoral muscle.
    The injury hindered his throwing ability, which limited him to DH batter to start the season. An MRI revealed a strain right pectoral muscle. Guerrero will return to Los Angeles to meet with doctors to determine the next course of action. Gary Matthews Jr. and Mike Napoli would seem to benefit most from his absence.
    This has been hurting his swing along with his throwing arm. Some rest won't kill them since they have enough OFers to field two teams.

MLB ERA

Re: Vlad the Injured

The injuries continue to pile up for the Angels. Just another blow in the long line of injuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Its a great thing they have a lot of depth and a stacked farm system.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I've been a huge Vlad guy obviously from all his years up here, but his stock is sinking faster than the Titanic. Dude's body is breaking down so quick and it's obvious. The miles are adding up fast.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Today's paper said that he tore a muscle in his chest, not strained it... but either way, ouch. The Halos are just getting beat up right now. At least now they know how we felt last season.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Jayson Stark of ESPN.com cites a baseball source questioning whether Vladimir Guerrero will be able to return in a month from his torn pectoral muscle.
    "How's he coming back in a month from a torn pec?" Stark's source says. "When those offensive linemen get that injury in the NFL, they're out for the year." With this information coming two days after Mike Scioscia was unable to speculate on Guerrero's possible return date, it's becoming more and more clear that the original estimate of a month was overly optimistic.
    A lot of sense is made here. If Vlad is gone for the year, the Angels are not going to make the playoffs.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If he is done for the year, you have to wonder how much gas Vlad has left in his tank. He'll be 35 next season and saw a .075 drop in his OPS from 2008 to 2007. His swing requires a player who is physically all there and free of any rust in swing mechanics, I could see him really struggling (at least for the beginning of the season) if he has to sit this season out. For the most part, Vlad has been a warrior in games played so I do wonder how he'll handle a layoff in playing time at his age if this does happen.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If he is out for the season, I could see this as a good thing for him and whatever team signs him next year since he will be a free agent. Vlad will have a whole year to save his knees which could help prolong his career. I think we all know now his OF days are over. He would have a whole year to learn and prepare mentally to be a DH. Whatever team does sign him knows they are getting a DH who can still hit for average with 20 HR power at the least. All that will come at a major discount too.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

His OF days are over but if he is out, anyone hoping that last year was the exception and not the rule of what to expect from Vlad in the future will likely be disappointed. He'll still be a solid bat, but that will definitely end the days of Vlad OPS'ing .900+ in my opinion.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I agree but he is still a presence. Vlad as a #5 hitter would look good in someone's lineup. Of course it would have to be an AL lineup.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Definitely. Hopefully for the Angels sake, their optimism is more correct than the year out forecast as they need his bat in the lineup.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Angels are better off saving their cash for Holliday or Bay.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Nevermind, I get what you're saying now.