Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KRod On Record Setting Pace

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Angels KRod On Record Setting Pace

I was just reading box scores and noticed Francisco Rodriguez has 23 saves!! It blew my mind being that he has so many so early so I did some research. Bobby Thigpen holds the single season record for saves with 57. Thigpen had only 17 saves through June 3rd in 1990 when he set the record. KRod is six ahead of this pace and plays for a damn good team. If KRod can stay healthy, he has a very good shot at becoming the single season record holder for saves. I think he is one of the best closers in the game and hopes he can break it.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: KRod On Record Setting Pace

WOW, I didn't notice this either. I hope he breaks it. As a kid, I loved Thigpen, but KRod as got to be my all-time favorite closer for sure. Good find LTR!

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He got #24 tonight.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Nobody has even talked about him this year. He is one of the best closers if not the best but all you hear about is Rivera and Paplebon. Pathetic!

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I'm hoping he doesn't get any chances to close any games this series (A's vs Angels). He's lights out and always makes our batters look like idiots. In all honesty I do hope he breaks it, or atleast gets close. He's definately one of the most dominant if not the most dominant closers in the game. You'd think he'd be getting more attention than he is, but unfortunately he's not.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Nobody has even talked about him this year. He is one of the best closers if not the best but all you hear about is Rivera and Paplebon. Pathetic!
    The save is an overrated statistic. Mariano has 15 while Rodriguez has 24 but mariano has been much better this year. Mariano has a .35 ERA and a.50 WHIP while Rofriguez has a 2.00 ERA and 1.19 WHIP. As far as Papelbon his ERA is also 2.000 but his WHIP is .93. Rodriguwz' "problem" is he has walked too many batters. He has 16 walks compared to 3 for papelbon and 2 for Mariano.

Yahoo! Sports

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

#25 tonight. You can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    The save is an overrated statistic. Mariano has 15 while Rodriguez has 24 but mariano has been much better this year. Mariano has a .35 ERA and a.50 WHIP while Rofriguez has a 2.00 ERA and 1.19 WHIP. As far as Papelbon his ERA is also 2.000 but his WHIP is .93. Rodriguwz' "problem" is he has walked too many batters. He has 16 walks compared to 3 for papelbon and 2 for Mariano.

Yahoo! Sports
    The save is not an overrated stat. Its the key stat for a closer since that's their only job. Yes, some closers get more chances than others but you can't penalize them for it. KRod has been one of the top three closers in baseball the past few years and that's not debatable. He can walk all the batters he wants but at the end of the day he does his job and has done it more than anyone else. While Rivera and Papelbon might have better numbers, doesn't take away from what KRod's doing being amazing.

Update:
    June 7th, 1990-Bobby Thigpen had 18 Saves
    June 7th, 2008-Francisco Rodriguez has 26 Saves.

MLB ERA

The save is not an overrated stat. Its the key stat for a closer since that's their only job. Yes, some closers get more chances than others but you can't penalize them for it. KRod has been one of the top three closers in baseball the past few years and that's not debatable. He can walk all the batters he wants but at the end of the day he does his job and has done it more than anyone else. While Rivera and Papelbon might have better numbers, doesn't take away from what KRod's doing being amazing.

Update:
    Key stat?

That's like saying Wins are the key stat for a pitcher.

If that's true, than you're being hypocritical about Chien Ming Wang.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Starters and closers are totally different. No hypocrisy here. Starters have to rely on their offense to get a win, closers really don't. Plus Wang has been terrible lately Saves and blown saves are the key stat for closers. One bad game for a closer can make his ERA balloon.Yankee fans please stop thinking I am saying Rivera is somehow awful. The media only talks about Rivera and Papelbon. KRod and Nathan are just as good if not better. Its a shame! KRod is on a record setting pace and for a first place team. Regardless of what you think of the stat, this is a chase for history and he has a great chance to do it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Update:
    Krod has 30 saves through June 22nd.
    Thigpen had 22 saves through June 22nd in his record setting year.
    Krod is 8 saves ahead of Thigpen and playing for a first place team!!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He now has 34 and has tied Smoltz for the most saves before the All-Star Break.

MLB ERA

this is incredible. this man is so freakin fun to watch. i'm loving every moment of K-Rod's season
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

AAA ERA

Update:
    First off I am not saying Rodrigiuez isn't a top closer, there's no question he is BUT the save is an overrated stat. Sometimes the hard work is done by the setup guy, sometimes you have a 3 run lead and never hit any trouble. It can be an overrated stat, mariano is clearly the best closer of this generation but according to the save stat Hoffman is better and John Franco should be a HOFer. It can be misleading. All we have to do is look at this season, he's on a record setting pace while Mariano has only 22 yet mariano has pitched better than Rodriguez. By the way, the guy in 2nd place is george Sherrill w/ a 3.62 ERA and 1.26 WHIP.

AAA ERA

Many things, we're reminded by broadcasters, don't show up in box scores. But what does show up can be a great source of comedy. The GiantsNew York Giants beat the Cubs 2-1 on Tuesday. The box score told this story:

Starter Matt Cain went eight innings. He allowed two hits, three walks and no runs. He struck out 10. Brian Wilson pitched the ninth. He allowed three hits and one earned run. Wilson was credited with his 23rd save.

After Tuesday's game, Wilson, in 32 innings, had allowed 32 hits, 16 walks, thrown one wild pitch had hit one batter. His ERA was 4.41. And he took the NL lead in saves.
    SEE-LIG NO EVIL - New York Post

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast