Thread: The Royals

The Royals

So, I haven't really heard much out of the Royals this offseason. Maybe it's because they haven't really done much or my lack of paying attention, but I'm interested, how are they doing? Any royal fans out there can always clue me on in. I always like to hear about the Royals, just because they're such a low payroll team, it's nice to see them win.

Any great free agent signings? Any type of optimism for this upcoming season? How do you think they'll do this upcoming season?

They signed Reggie Sanders and Mark Grudzielanek...not exactly quality, and the signings only block young players from getting playing time.

Eh, its the Royals.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Thanks for the info. But would probably much prefer to hear from a Royals fan, who would probably shed some better light on the Royals.

With moves like that, you can see why we don't have any Royals fans on the site.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Well actually there is one, Killa Sith(sp?) Plus, I'm sure some others atleast know about the Royals pretty well.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    General sees it as a bad things but finally the Royals don't have to rush these young guys, especially the pitchers. The Royals went out and got Mientkiewicz and Grudzielanek to help the worst AL infield. Grudz would also help out on offense and Sweeney can stay as the fulltime DH. They also got some pitching help by getting Mark Redman, Scott Elarton andf Joe Mays to help fill the rotation along with Grienke, Hernandez and possibly Wood or Bautista.They also got Elmer Dessens to help in the bullpen. Royals also got Reggie Sanders to fill out the outfield and add some pop to this lineup. Brown, DeJesus and Sanders makes a decent OF.
    I see them winning around 65 games this season and being much more competitive. They will still finish last but its hard when your team doesn't spend and you play in a division with the Indians, Twins and champion White Sox.

I like the moves they made. They aren't going to put the Royals in the postseason or anything like that, but it should allow the Royals to be more competitive as well as solid veteren leadership who have winning experience to show the way to the young players and allow them to further develop. They aren't able to go out and sign top of the line free agents and if they did, they aren't in position to compete. These guys are hopefully a step closer to that.

Doug Mientkiewicz will provide defense at first base and allow Sweeney to DH more where hopefully he stays healthy. I heard Sweeney is in great shape, the best he's been in years. Grudzielanek should add some defense and get on base for Sweeney and Sanders. Hopefully one of the young 2nd baseman step up in the next couple of years. Sanders gives us some pop and should help protect Sweeney in the lineup.

Don't confuse my excitement and optimism with homerism, these guys are what they are and I don't expect miracles. But they should provide some stability, leadership, and still allow some of the young players to play. Our top three hitting prospects are still in the minors and are a year or two away, Alex Gordon, Billy Butler, and Justin Huber. Huber is learning first base, Butler a corner outfield spot though he'll most likely end up more at DH, and Gordon most likely will end up in the outfield if Mark Teahan pans out as a hitter.

What I'm looking for this year is for Teahan, David Dejesus, and John Buck to continue and improve for when the big three are up and going. What I'm worried about is Zack Greinke has left camp for an unknown reason and Runelvys Hernandez is overweight. Hopefully Denny Bautista can bounce back and continue to improve and that young bullpen builds off the success of last season.

They may lose a lot of games again this year, but I think they can be more competitive and surprise some people. I like what I've heard out of spring training so far with the attitude and comradery of the team, something that has been lacking in recent years. George Brett said it reminded him of the 70's and 80's. We're still a long way from that success, but hopefully they are on the right track. They just need to continue on the program and learn to win.