Thread: Is Sweeney going anywhere?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Royals Is Sweeney going anywhere?

After viewing anything I can on a possibble Casey deal. I have seen a lot of Sweeney rumors as well. Whenever teams like the Mets are said to have interest in Casey, Sweeney name is right there beside him. Should Sweeney go? He has been a great talent on this team and may have quite a few more talented years left in him. Would the Royals be smart to trade this guy?

I think they should deal him IF and only if they can get a very good deal for him. His value isn't likely to go up, but it's pretty steady as it is. If the Sox or Mets gave them an offer too good to refuse, trade the Captain, but really, he's the face of the Royals.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I agree. But I don't think they will be able to get a great deal for him with his high salary. But who knows. I agree, he is the face of the Royals these days. Hopefully the Royals can ang on to him.

AA ERA
    Prospects > Sweeny, but they have to be good. I'd trade him if they get a good offer because KC won't compete anytime too soon.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I agree with you, but it would be hard for them to get good prospects with Sweeney's contract. That and there are a few other 1B on the block as well. But they are all equally expensive, but the teams with 1B on the block may not be asking for any good prospects in return. I know the Reds and Casey should be in that category.

Baseball Guru
    Rookie ERA
    Honestly, I don't think anyone wants to take on his contract.

I think the Mets do.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Baseball Guru
    Rookie ERA
    Well thats Omar Minaya for ya.

He will take big contracts for big players. I think Sweeney will come out of his injury prone habits and be the player he once use to be.

Mission promised me Matt Stairs would get a banner pic if Sweeney is traded, so go go Minaya! >_>, okay, maybe that didn't happen...but maybe it did!
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    Sweeney is not worth his contract and the fact is simple, the Royals need to look to the future. Get what you can for him and thank him for his loyalty to the franchise. I doubt many teams will want to take on that contract or give much in return for him, but they can give it the old college try.

Royals could always send cash with Sweeney. Royals will hold out for some top spects from teams. Sweeney is arguably their best player. Royals can't lose either way, he stays and helps the team win some games, or he leaves and brings in some top spects.

MLB ERA
    Bad Contract+Bad Back=Bad Trade
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    Bad Contract+Bad Back=Bad Trade

Someone will want him though. Someone will be desperate enough for a 1B to acquire Sweeney.

His back has been fine this year but I still don't see him going anywhere. Rumor is that the Rangers want him but the Royals asked for Keven Mench. KC would have to get good player or top prospect back. As for the Mets, that'd be interesting and could happen if Beltran has some say. Sweeney could put up MVP type numbers if he had a better surrounding cast and could stay healthy consistantly.