Thread: Bagwell And Biggio...In The Hall?

Rookie ERA

Bagwell And Biggio...In The Hall?

I think purist will see their way to put these two in the Hall of Fame. I truely believe that Biggio belongs if Sandberg is in and as far as Bagwell (even if he is finished), the argument in the story speaks for itself.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...d/050728&num=4

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    sandberg was better than biggio by a significant margin. that doesnt mean that biggio doesnt belong, however. I think he does and probably will.

bagwell should as well, but his era is going to hurt him and not reaching 500 homers as a slugger may hurt.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Both of them get my full respect as players. They both played their hearts out and stuck with the same team throughout their careers. Bagwell is a MVP who had a lot of injuries. Biggio is one of the best leadoff men and an allstar at three different positions. They won't be first ballot HOFer's but should get in.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by rockin500
    sandberg was better than biggio by a significant margin. that doesnt mean that biggio doesnt belong, however. I think he does and probably will.

bagwell should as well, but his era is going to hurt him and not reaching 500 homers as a slugger may hurt.
    Some people believe that to be true, in fact it could be said Biggio's numbers are much better. I will.

Biggio has more runs scored by a 351 margin, more hits by 358, 190 more doubles, ONLY 31 less homers (with time to beat that), 21 less RBI (not bad for leading off most of his career and still time to get it THIS year), 407 more runs scored, 324 more walks, more stolen bases by 63, and a better OBP and a better lifetime batting average.

Rookie ERA
    Let's not forget that Biggio was an ALL STAR at two different positions and has played at four positions in his career.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedc
    Let's not forget that Biggio was an ALL STAR at two different positions and has played at four positions in his career.
    yes, and thats what's going to put him in the hall. I was just referring to the 2nd base position itself.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War

Rookie ERA
    If he would have played his entire career at second, he would still be worthy of Hall of Fame status and would have included more All Star elections (than the seven he got) if he had stayed in the one position.

He blows Sandberg away in most catagories and the ones he doesn't, he will.... very soon.

There really isn't much of an argument here, is there?

I never seen Sandberg play, so I can't make an argument there, but I certainly do believe that Biggio will be in the HOF.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

AA ERA
    I agree on Biggio. Bagwell probably as well but not as sure.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by rockin500

You must not have read the article.

I fear the nonthinking man's response will be: "Bagwell didn't hit 500 home runs, he played in the Steroid Era, he choked in the playoffs and he had that crazy batting stance, so I'm not voting for him."

Bagwell is the best player of the bunch. Only McGwire tops him in adjusted OPS; only Murray can come close as a fielder; and none is in the same league as Bagwell as a base runner. Bagwell's 152 runs scored in 2000 ranks as the most in one season since 1950. He was such an alert, aggressive runner, he once led the majors in frequency of going from first to third on singles. He put up monster numbers despite spending most of his career in the Astrodome. Add it all up, and the ESPN Baseball Encyclopedia ranks him as the 21st best player (not including pitchers) of all time, entering the 2005 season.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    i know the argument. he clearly belongs in as he is one of the best of this era. But many HOF voters that have been on record that they consider him on the bubble. rightly or wrongly, thats the way it is. and they had the argument which he did nothing in the postseason, which is BS, but its one thats made to reduce his feats.

Same thing with Frank Thomas. Not saying its right. Just saying what perception is. and you should know by now that perception is reality when it comes down to HOF voting.

MLB ERA
    It doesn't take a purist to recognize Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell as two of the greatest players ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I definitely think they both belong as well. good points everyone!