Thread: Aaron Boone to undergo open heart surgery, will not play this season

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Player Aaron Boone to undergo open heart surgery, will not play this season

Terrible news. I was really pulling for Boone to have a nice little season after having a pretty sad year in Washington. I can't imagine he'll comeback after this at his age.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the Boone family.

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Veteran infielder Aaron Boone has a heart condition that will require surgery, ending his year with the Astros.

"I have been identified as having a heart condition involving the aorta and aortic valve," Boone said, flanked by nearly the entire team at a Wednesday morning press conference.

Boone will have surgery to have the condition corrected. He has had the condition since college. He'll schedule the surgery this week. He categorized it as "not an emergency situation."

"Will I play baseball again?" he said. "I don't know at this time."

Boone, 36, was selected by the Reds in the third round of the June 1994 First-Year Player draft. He made his big league debut in 1997 and played the next seven years with the Reds.

He was dealt to the Yankees at the trade deadline in 2003 and later that year swung his way into baseball history, knocking a walk-off homer off Boston's Tim Wakefield in the bottom of the 11th inning in Game 7 of the American League Chamionship Series, sealing the pennant for the Yankees.

After missing all of 2004 with a knee injury, Boone played for the Indians in 2005 and 2006, the Marlins in '07 and the Nationals in '08.

The grandson of former Major League infielder Ray Boone, the son of former catcher Bob Boone and the brother of former infielder Bret Boone, Aaron played in 1,142 career games, batting .264 with 126 home runs and 555 RBIs.

He and his wife, Laura, have one son, Brandon Aaron.
    Heart condition ends Boone's season | MLB.com: News

MLB ERA

Re: Aaron Boone to undergo open heart surgery, will not play this season

If he doesn't come back, he may not have had a spectacular career, but he will stay in Yankee fans' hearts for at least one moment in time. Thoughts and condolences go out to the Boone family, and I hope he can make a full recovery, and maybe come back for a little more baseball.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Aaron Boone had a very nice career and will likely go into coaching once he heals up. His knowledge should help the kids play better.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Bummer for Boone and I hope this procedure fixes a problem he has known about since college. The Astros do have a problem at third now. Geoff Blum can't handle it by himself.