Thread: Future Hall of Famer to have Jersery Retired

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Future Hall of Famer to have Jersery Retired

Craig Biggio will have his jersey retired by the astros on August 17th.

HOUSTON -- The Astros will retire Craig Biggio's jersey in a ceremony on Aug. 17, owner Drayton McLane announced on Friday.

The announcement came during a pregame ceremony presenting Biggio with MLB.com's This Year in Baseball 2007 Moment of the Year award for his 3,000th hit on June 28.

"It was voted on by our fans on MLB.com, so we certainly appreciate what you have meant to this franchise," McLane told Biggio during the ceremony. "Craig has been the heartbeat of the Houston Astros. We talk every day about being a champion, and he has certainly lifted us up and made us all champions."

Biggio told reporters the honor was one he never aspired to achieve. He said he had left it in McLane's hands whether to retire his No. 7.

"Just because you play the game for a long time doesn't mean you have to have your number retired," Biggio said. "That's one of the greatest feelings you're every going to have. Forever you will look up and see your name and retired number, and I'm very humbled."

Deservingly so. Little doubt that the former catcher turned 2B turned outfielder turned back to 2B will be in the Hall of Fame soon, but no doubt that man who spent his major league career with the astros from 1988 to 2007 should be honored with the retiring of his number.

Biggio, once apart of the Killer B's, finished with:
    3060 hits
    668 doubles
    291 homeruns
    1175 rbis
    1160 walks
    414 steals

Starting off as a catcher, moved to second base where he was an allstar and gold glover. Later in his career, thinking Chris Burke might be something, Biggio was moved to centerfield. He finished his career as a 2B. Chris Burke, meanwhile, has bounced around positions and teams.

His number will sit to the right of longtime teammate, former first baseman Jeff Bagwell, whose No. 5 was retired last season.

Biggio told a story about visiting a little girl in the hospital. When she told him her favorite player was Bagwell, he said, "Well, me too."

Anyone remember when Derek Bell was once apart of the Killer B's? Oh yeah. Chris Burke, not so much.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Future Hall of Famer to have Jersery Retired

Yeah he should be in the HOF when his time comes. He is now coaching high school baseball in Texas. How would you like to play for that guy?

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Yeah he should be in the HOF when his time comes. He is now coaching high school baseball in Texas. How would you like to play for that guy?
    Or better yet, how would you feel coaching against him? I'd be pretty starstruck lol
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

That would be something to talk about, wouldn't it? I coached against Bobby Bryant of the Minnesota Vikings for a couple of summers. He really knew baseball well and said he might have played it professionally if the opportunity to play pro football wouldn't have presented itself to him.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Closed
    AAA ERA

What a great player and one of the scrappiest. He is a sure fire HOFer