Thread: Pettitte to retire?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pettitte to retire?

Even though he knows he has at least one more substantial payday on the way, 34-year-old Andy Pettitte is considering retirement.
    "I know it's difficult maybe for people to understand," Pettitte said. "I'm just not sure if I want to play, so I'm just trying to take some time back. Obviously for me to feel that way, I have some serious burnout." It's hardly the first time Pettitte has talked like this. Still, while it seems doubtful that he'll still be around at age 40, it'd be a big surprise to see him hang up his spikes now. "I know I'm young. I realize I'm young," he said. "Just right now, I don't know exactly what I want to do. I just need to take some good time away and I'm trying not to think about baseball. I didn't watch any of the playoffs. I'm just trying to spend time down at my ranch and spend time with my family, and in a couple of weeks I'll really try to bear down and [decide]."
    Sucks that a 34 yr old is already burned out but what else does this guy ave to play for? He has the rings and the money. I hope he plays another couple of years because he is one of the better lefties in the game.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Andy Pettitte indicated Friday that he was leaning toward retirement after 12 seasons.
    "If I had to make a decision right now, it would probably be not to play," he said. Pettitte would be leaving a lot of money of the table if he called if a career at age 34. Still, it appears to be something he's willing to do. "I want to do the right thing for me and my family," he said. "I’m just weighing through my feelings."
    Can't believe this guy but oh well.