Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds deal Pena to Boston for Arroyo

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by volzok
    Personally, I would like to have Freel leadoff with Pena in the lineup. Also, how exactly does this trade help Freel get more ABs? What the occasional spot start in the OF? Whoopie. Thats not everyday ABs. That would be a more valid point if we traded Womack or Aurilia. To me it looks like hes still behind them at this point. This means Hatteberg is getting everyday ABs. So what did they really solve there?
    Gives Narron an extra option to play Freel where as before Narron's man love for Aurilia would have left Freel on the bench. Now irregardless if Narron cant manage this team he will be on a very short leash knowing Lou could replace him next year.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Freel is most likely your everyday left fielder with Womack or Aurilia at second and Dunn staying at first or at least a smart manager would do this. Hatteberg is not everyday material. This will get Freel more ABs and help this offense.
    I wont post the whole thing, but here is what the Reds think of that:

You can forget about Dunn staying at first base. He may get the occasional look there, but he'll be back in left basically full-time, with Hatteberg getting most of the starts at first. I imagine we'll see Aurilia over there a bit more, too.

"Adam Dunn is a better left fielder than Wily Mo would be, and Hatteberg will be a better first baseman than Adam Dunn would be," said Jerry Narron. "So I think defensively we helped ourselves, and the pitching part of it is outstanding for us."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Don't be too surprised if Pena starts to b!tch if he doesn't start a decent amount of games.
    rf28

MLB ERA
    Cincinnati got hosed.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by volzok
    I wont post the whole thing, but here is what the Reds think of that:

You can forget about Dunn staying at first base. He may get the occasional look there, but he'll be back in left basically full-time, with Hatteberg getting most of the starts at first. I imagine we'll see Aurilia over there a bit more, too.

"Adam Dunn is a better left fielder than Wily Mo would be, and Hatteberg will be a better first baseman than Adam Dunn would be," said Jerry Narron. "So I think defensively we helped ourselves, and the pitching part of it is outstanding for us."
    Well like I said, a smart manager.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Arroyo will get destroyed in GABP just like I said yesterday; garbage

But given that Pena has proven himself yet, I guess Arroyo is about the best they could do

Reds stumble again

I agree that the trade shouldn't have been made, from the Reds' perspective. Arroyo is not an improvement for the Reds' rotation. He's a right-handed Eric Milton. He'll give up a ton of homers and his ERA will be 5.50 or more. And for that the Reds gave up Wily Mo? No, he's not a special player, but if Arroyo is what you get back, what's the point? Keep Pena, count those home runs (and errors and baserunning mistakes), and keep trying for a better deal.
    The Cooperstown Kid
    MLB Rumors

AAA ERA
    This trade is not ever close to even! Wily Mo will go crazy in Boston in that Park. What a steal for Boston!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Not since he can't go opposite field. I see a lot of his HR's get caught by the Green Monster and stay in the park.
    rf28

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12