Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alfonso Soriano dealt to Washington Nationals

MLB ERA
    Soriano is going from one of the best hitter's parks in the MLB to one of the worst. More is going to happen than "some homers being turned into doubles." More like "plenty of homers and doubles will be turned into flyouts"

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I was talking about defense of course. Manny is far superior in the power game but Soriano possess speed which he will have to use a lot more of in RFK. Who knows he could take Guzman's spot at SS, Soriano's original position.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    Soriano is going from one of the best hitter's parks in the MLB to one of the worst. More is going to happen than "some homers being turned into doubles." More like "plenty of homers and doubles will be turned into flyouts"
    Soriano still has one of the quickest hands in the games and hits linedrives. I don't see too many flyouts that could have been homers in RFK.

MLB ERA
    In what sense can Washington afford Manny Ramirez?

They don't even have an owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Soriano still has one of the quickest hands in the games and hits linedrives. I don't see too many flyouts that could have been homers in RFK.
    Soriano at home: .315 AVG, .355 OBP, .656 SLG, 25 HRs
    Soriano on the road: .224 AVERAGE!!! .265 OBP!!! .374 SLG?!?! .639 OPS!!! 11 HRs!!!

If you don't think he's going to suffer massively going from Ameriquest to RFK, you're ignoring the fact he was ABYSMAL when not in Texas.

Soriano's numbers next season: .253, .305 OBP, 23 HRs, 78 RBIs, 29 SBs.

Terrible deal by the Nats.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    McKain is a Nats fan? Ewwwww....

AAA ERA
    When I heard about this trade, all I could think was "Jim Bowden Strikes Again!". Boston, take heed. In other news, Texas is set at OF and DH for a decade, Michael Young may be able to move back to second if he wants (although I know he's a natural SS), and Washington has a guy who will hit .247 with 25 homers in their lineup... that they will pay 10 million + for.
    One-Time TBL Champ
    Baltimore Orioles (2018)

Three-Time S3SL Champ
    Pittsburgh Pirates Detroit Tigers St. Louis Cardinals

2012 B/S Keeper League Champ - Boston Terror

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    You can call a terrible deal but I don't. Soriano reunited with Nick Johnson. How can you not like that?

MLB ERA
    because Alfonso Soriano can NOT hit away from Ameriquest right now, and he's NOT GOING TO BE IN AMERIQUEST NEXT SEASON. In fact, he will be in a TERRIBLE park, his numbers will be TERRIBLE, and at best, he'll be "that speedy guy" in the outfield.

Reuniting Alfonso SOriano with Nick Johnson would be all well and good if Soriano could hit in the park they were reunited in, but there is basically a 95% chance he won't hit in RFK.

I mean, jesus, the guy had a .639 OPS on the road last season; that's pathetic!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Yeah and Wilkerson's numbers were great. Both guys numbers were pathetic but at least Soriano can knock in runs which they badly needed last year.

MLB ERA
    At least Wilkerson's numbers were consistnet at home and on the road, so you knew he'd produce at basically the same rate. He had a .760 OPS at home and a .750 on the road.

How is Soriano going to knock in runs with:
    a) nobody to bat in
    b) his average, homerun totals, and extra base hit totals all falling dramatically from last year

Wilkerson was the third best position player the Nats had last year; there is no way Soriano is the third best position player they have this year.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    No one to bat in? Soriano is most likely going to hit behind Johnson and Guillen and they still have holes to fill. Plus you have to wait and see if his numbers will fall off. This is a joke. You act as if though he is going to hit 12 homers. Please he will have plenty of extra base hits and RBI.

MLB ERA
    Most likely, Soriano will bat ahead of Johnson or Guillen.

They still have holes to fill? How are they going to fill them? The other owners aren't going to let them take on anymore salary; I'm surprised they even let them take on Soriano.

No, you don't have to wait and see if his numbers fall off. It's all fine and well to make predictions about them, and right now, the only probable prediction is that he will be TERRIBLE because for the past year, he could not hit in any park that was not Ameriquest.

He will not have plenty of extra base hits and RBIs, not like RBIs are a good stat to judge him by anyway since that's entirely dependent on the rest of the team.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Yes being able to knock in runs is a valuable stat. Why is he likely to hit in front of these guys with such a piss poor OBP? Everyone said the same thing about Alou coming to SF saying he won't hit a lick and guess what, he did. He numbers will fall off no doubt but not that drastically. Good lord man, you act as if he will hit like Guzman.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast