Thread: 5 years, $60 million for Konerko

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

5 years, $60 million for Konerko

is what the Angels have offered.

Team Increases Offer to Konerko

By Mike DiGiovanna, Times Staff Writer

The Angels remain in the hunt for free-agent slugger Paul Konerko and are believed to have bumped their initial four-year offer to the Chicago White Sox first baseman to five years and about $60 million.

Konerko, who hit .283 with 40 home runs and 100 runs batted in, is expected to travel to Anaheim this week to meet with Angel officials, and he could make a decision before next week's winter meetings in Dallas.

The only other teams alive in the bidding for Konerko are the White Sox, who are reluctant to go a fifth year but, according to a team source, would do so if Konerko receives five-year proposals from other teams, and the Baltimore Orioles, who are willing to add a fifth year to their initial four-year, $50-million offer but are still long-shots to sign Konerko.

If Konerko leaves Chicago, he prefers to play on the West Coast and spend spring training near his Scottsdale, Ariz., home.

Konerko is also said to be very fond of Angel Manager Mike Scioscia and coaches Mickey Hatcher, Ron Roenicke and Alfredo Griffin, all of whom have ties to the Dodgers, the team that selected Konerko in the first round of the 1994 draft.

The Angels have also discussed a possible trade for Boston slugger Manny Ramirez, but that appears to be on the backburner while the Angels focus on Konerko.

A successful pursuit of Konerko would probably push first baseman Darin Erstad back to center field and block the path of promising first baseman Casey Kotchman.

The White Sox say re-signing Konerko remains a top priority despite their recent trade for Philadelphia first baseman Jim Thome, who is already recruiting Konerko.

"I put a call into him this weekend, but we have not talked," Thome said in a Chicago news conference Monday. "I've known Paulie for a long time…. For me, I wanted him to know from my end to come back, please."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseba...ck=1&cset=true

MLB ERA
    Don't think that would be quite enough to pry him away from the ChiSox.... 4 years 60, maybe... 5 years 75, definately... not 5 years 60
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Well considering the Sox have already offered Konerko 4 yrs/$52, hell no it isn't enough.

MLB ERA
    I hope it isn't enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    ESPN Radio 1000 in Chicago reporting that the White Sox have signed Konerko to a 5-year, $60 million deal.

Good 1B/DH platoon with Thome, I guess.