Thread: Biggio signs one-year extension ($4 million)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Biggio signs one-year extension ($4 million)

10/02/2005 8:15 PM ET
    Biggio signs one-year extension
    GM Purpura announces $4 million deal after clincher
    By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- Moments after the Houston Astros clinched the National League Wild Card on Sunday, general manager Tim Purpura wiped the champagne from his eyes, stood on a podium in the clubhouse and announced to the television audience that the club signed Craig Biggio to a one-year contract extension.

The contract will pay Biggio $4 million in 2006. The second baseman, who just completed his 18th year with the Astros, ended the 2005 regular season with a .264 batting average and a career-high 26 home runs.

Biggio would like to make a run at 3,000 hits, although it will likely take him longer than the length of the new contract to get there. Through Sunday's game with the Cubs, he had 2,795, and if he averages 162 hits, as he has the last four years, he'll reach 3,000 in April of 2007.

Keeping Biggio on the payroll past '06 hasn't been ruled out, but it appears the two sides will negotiate on a year-to-year basis.

"He's found the fountain of youth, and I'd like to take a few drinks from it," Purpura said of Biggio, who will turn 40 in December. "He continues to grind out there. He continues to give a good effort, good at-bats. He's played his position better than I could have expected from a guy who had been in the outfield for two years.

"He's always worked hard, he's always been the guy that keeps himself in great shape. Those are the kind of guys you take a risk on, because you're pretty well assured they're going to be ready to go."

Purpura had preliminary conversations regarding an extension with Biggio's agent, Barry Axelrod, while the team was in San Diego late in August. According to Purpura, the entire negotiation process was quick, considering both sides were interested in keeping Biggio with the Astros.

"It wasn't a matter of if, but it was a matter of when, and how," Purpura said.

"We've always had open channels as far as communication is concerned," Biggio said. "It's always been that way. I'm happy that it's over with and we can focus on the playoffs.

"I'm just excited about it. I've spent a lot of years in this city. It's been 18, and I know there's going to be 19 of them. I'm excited about the future of this team. We've got a lot of young kids that have done a great job. Not many guys say they have an opportunity to play their whole career with one organization. I'm very lucky."

"I'm happy for him," said Jeff Bagwell, Biggio's long-standing teammate. "That's the way it should be. Bidge needs to finish his career here and he needs to get his 3,000th hit here."
    Article Link

MLB ERA
    That's what the Astros need, to keep their 40 year old second baseman?
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Biggio just had his career high in homeruns. He has one more year in himat least. The guy is a leader in that clubhouse and still produces.

Stats dont lie, morons do Bob Sacamento's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Biggio just had his career high in homeruns. He has one more year in himat least. The guy is a leader in that clubhouse and still produces.
    Biggio still has sometime left in the MLB. He might have hit a career high in Hrs but he also had a career low in OBP something he had always been great at. While his fielding has been looking less and less appeasing as it once was

Biggio will be 40 in December, so this is looking like as much as a sentimental resigning as it was signing a guy that can play 2B and the OF.