Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victorino to the Dodgers

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Dodgers Victorino to the Dodgers

Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Phillies have traded outfielder Shane Victorino to the Dodgers for right-handers Josh Lindblom and Ethan Martin.
    Victorino is back where it all started, as he was originally drafted by the Dodgers back in 1999. The 31-year-old outfielder will wrap up his tenure in Philadelphia with a .279/.342/.434 batting line, three Gold Glove awards, two All-Star appearances and a World Series championship over eight seasons. He figures to take over the starting left field job in Los Angeles and may get a look out of the leadoff spot. Lindblom will join the Phillies' bullpen right away while Martin still has a ways to go in his development.
    Dodgers have come a long way here in the past week and a half getting Hanley, Choate, League and now Victorino. All look like good, solid moves even if Hanley and Victorino aren't the same players they were 3 years ago.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Victorino to the Dodgers

I'm enraged that we gave up more for Victorino than the Giants did for Pence. I feel worse about this than the time we got Octavio Dotel instead of Javier Lopez.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

How did the Dodgers give up more than the Giants?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Sabean gave up a marginal 4th OF, mid ceiling C/1B, and shitty minor league pitcher for Pence, has another year left of arbitration. And the Phils are paying some money.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If Joseph doesn't stick behind the plate, then they definately gave up more.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    Sabean gave up a marginal 4th OF, mid ceiling C/1B, and shitty minor league pitcher for Pence, has another year left of arbitration. And the Phils are paying some money.
    Dodgers gave a up a reliever and their 17th ranked prospect. Again I ask, how is that more than what the Giants gave up?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Witlon View Post
    If Joseph doesn't stick behind the plate, then they definately gave up more.
    Joseph has improved dramatically defensively and has power. Getting lots of comparisons to Mike Napoli with a cannon.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Houston really liked Joseph, although Houston didn't really have much left to trade these days.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Neither team has seemingly given up anything important to their future, especially given what Victorino and Pence can do for each team. I am surprised Pence didn't go for more. I know these prospects could always get better, take a leap, who knows. But given what LA tends to lead off with or bat 2nd...huge ginormous upgrade. And then Pence in the middle of SF's lineup..considering they had to give Wheeler for a rental last season, they get a younger non rental guy for..less?

I don't pretend to understand teams at times. But I'd say LA and SF made out real well.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Neither team paid a mint. There wasn't a reason to either.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Dodgers gave a up a reliever and their 17th ranked prospect. Again I ask, how is that more than what the Giants gave up?
    Dodgers had to downgrade from setup relief to make the trade for Victorino, whereas the Giants only gave up from their major league roster the same placeholder in right field that they were upgrading from.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    Dodgers had to downgrade from setup relief to make the trade for Victorino, whereas the Giants only gave up from their major league roster the same placeholder in right field that they were upgrading from.
    Is that really your argument? You think just because the Dodgers had to give up a MLB reliever that they gave up more?
    Last edited by love_that_reefer; 08-01-2012 at 04:48 PM.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

MLB reliever with 5 more years of club control > Nate Shitholes, quadruple-A outfielder.
    Last edited by realmofotalk; 08-05-2012 at 11:33 PM.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You might have a point if that's all they gave up but they didn't. Phillies needed a MLB OF in return after losing Victorino and then Pence so Nate was definitely more valuable to them than a reliever. You really have no argument....again.
    Last edited by love_that_reefer; 08-06-2012 at 10:18 AM.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Pirates also needed an outfielder back when they traded John Vanden Wal (and Jason Schmidt) to the Giants. But that didn't make Armando Rios any valuable of a player to the Pirates. Nate Schierholz is the Armando Rios in this deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast