Thread: Soriano back to New York?

Rookie ERA

Soriano back to New York?

By Ken Rosenthal - Sporting News

Both New York teams could snap to attention if the Rangers decide to trade second baseman Alfonso Soriano. Though Soriano has resisted playing center field, perhaps he would reconsider if he were traded back to the Yankees, the team for which Alex Rodriguez was willing to move from shortstop to third base. The Yankees' problem is that they can't satisfy the Rangers' need for pitching.

The Mets, last in the National League in on-base/slugging percentage (OPS) at second base, are an even more obvious fit for Soriano. The Rangers have shown past interest in Mets shortstop Jose Reyes, but it's extremely doubtful the Mets would trade him, even though Reyes entered Wednesday's play with the sixth-lowest OPS among major leaguers who qualify for the batting title.

The Mets' loss of Class A righthander Philip Humber, who recently underwent elbow-ligament transplant surgery, has reduced the team's minor league pitching depth, making it unlikely that the Mets would part with Class AA righthander Yusmeiro Petit. A package of Petit and outfielder Victor Diaz is the type that could tempt the Rangers for Soriano.

MLB ERA
    Wouldn't it make more sense to trade for a center fielder and play him in center field?
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Give me a CF who can hit 35 HRs and steal 40 bases and is up on the block.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Rookie ERA
    I don't know? Ask Ken Rosenthal that.

I wasn't talking to you.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo
    I wasn't talking to you.
    I was writing about Saber's reply.

For once I have to agree. Not withstanding, the Rangers probably want much more than the Yankees can give.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    Wouldn't it make more sense to trade for a center fielder and play him in center field?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo
    Give me a CF who can hit 35 HRs and steal 40 bases and is up on the block.
    Why would the Braves need a centerfielder?
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Hey Saber, message for you:
    Soriano back to New York? Attached Images Soriano back to New York?-flip_nbc-jpg 

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Straight from Rotoworld....

At one point yesterday Alfonso Soriano got a call from his agent telling him to pack his bags and that he was traded to the Mets. Only moments later did he receive another call telling him that the deal hit a snag.
    The Rangers are asking for Aaron Heilman and Yusmeiro Petit at the moment, but the Mets want to substitute Victor Zambrano for Heilman. Regardless, it's looking more likely Soriano will be headed to the Mets this weekend. Jul. 28 - 1:21 pm et

Link: http://www.nj.com/mets/ledger/index....070.xml&coll=1

If the Rangers can pull it off with Heilman, then it could be quite the deal down the road. Zambrano is probably an upgrade in their rotation too, though, anyway.

MLB ERA
    Victor Zambrano doesn't upgrade anything. Petit is a top pitching prospect, though, and getting him would be great for the Rangers. Heilman on top of that would be a steal. Soriano is overrated, and would go from a top hitters park to a top pitchers park. The Mets must be desperate.

Rookie ERA
    Please get rid of Zambrano. The Mets traded a nobody for a great Spect in the New York Mets organization.