Thread: Rumors Vol 2: Adam Dunn, Ken Griffey Jr, Barry Larkin and More!

Rumors Vol 2: Adam Dunn, Ken Griffey Jr, Barry Larkin and More!

All rumors were acquired via ESPN Insider on July 19th besides the Tony Graffanino news and what was added about JC Romero which came from Rotoworld. Enjoy

Eric Byrnes
    Who is Interested: Cardinals, Indians, Braves, Astros, Yankees

The Yankees are interested in Eric Byrnes as a potential center field solution, The New York Times. According to the Rocky Mountain News, the Rockies immediately had inquiries about Byrnes after he was acquired from Oakland. Byrnes and Dustan Mohr are very similar, and the Rockies don't figure to keep both of them, especially if Ryan Spilborghs shows promise in his cameo appearance. Odds are that either Byrnes or Mohr gets dealt. Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd is not in any hurry to deal Byrnes, the Denver Post reports. "I am not anxious to do anything there," O'Dowd told the newspaper. "I still think I can find a way to make him fit in [next year's budget]."

Mike Lowell
    Who is Interested: Orioles, Pirates

According to the Palm Beach Post, Mike Lowell is expected to be be packaged in an A.J. Burnett trade. A deal, likely with Baltimore, is nearing completion, although a three-way trade between the Marlins, Orioles and Pirates surfaced late Monday.
    In a straight-up deal with Baltimore, the Marlins would send Burnett, Lowell and Triple-A outfielder Eric Reed to the O's for reliever Jorge Julio, outfielder Larry Bigbie and pitching prospect Hayden Penn.

In the three-way deal, the Marlins would acquire pitcher Mark Redman from Pittsburgh -- along with Penn, Julio and Bigbie. In return, the Marlins would send Burnett to Baltimore and Lowell to Pittsburgh. The Pirates then would send first baseman Daryle Ward to Baltimore, and the Orioles also would acquire Reed. The Marlins would be responsible for a large portion of Lowell's contract, which has $21 million remaining through 2007.

Any deal with the O's will include Lowell, whose price tag has scared away several teams. The third baseman is in the first year of a three-year deal worth $25.5 million, and the Marlins likely will be responsible for some of the money. The Orioles were figuring out how much of Lowell's contract they can absorb, and their chances of signing Burnett long term. Burnett will be a free agent after the season.

The Marlins also spoke with Toronto and the White Sox about a Burnett/Lowell package, but neither team was willing to take Lowell, who said his agent, Seth Levinson, told him "the talks are for real."

Danys Baez
    Who is Interested: Nationals, Marlins, Red Sox, Braves, White Sox

The Nationals continue to ask the Devil Rays about a deal that might include closer Danys Baez and infielder Julio Lugo, the Washington Post reports.
    According to the Tampa Tribune, the Diamondbacks, Braves, Marlins and Red Sox also have expressed an interest in Baez, who has stated his preference is to remain in Tampa. But it depends on what the Devil Rays want to do. They have a $4 million option for 2006.

AJ Burnett
    Who is Interested: Orioles, Red Sox, Padres, Blue Jays, Angels, Dodgers, White Sox

A.J. Burnett expects to be traded soon, the Palm Beach Post reports. A deal, likely with Baltimore, is nearing completion, although a three-way trade between the Marlins, Orioles and Pirates surfaced late Monday.
    In a straight-up deal with Baltimore, the Marlins would send Burnett, third baseman Mike Lowell and Triple-A outfielder Eric Reed to the O's for reliever Jorge Julio, outfielder Larry Bigbie and pitching prospect Hayden Penn.

In the three-way deal, the Marlins would acquire pitcher Mark Redman from Pittsburgh -- along with Penn, Julio and Bigbie. In return, the Marlins would send Burnett to Baltimore and Lowell to Pittsburgh. The Pirates then would send first baseman Daryle Ward to Baltimore, and the Orioles also would acquire Reed. The Marlins would be responsible for a large portion of Lowell's contract, which has $21 million remaining through 2007.

The Red Sox also have offered a package that would include starting pitcher Bronson Arroyo but have fallen behind Baltimore. Boston proposed a three-way deal with San Diego that was turned down by the Marlins.

Billy Wagner
    Who is Interested: Red Sox

The Phillies have made Billy Wagner available, and the Red Sox are interested in him, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports. Bill Lajoie, the Sox special assistant to the general manager, was in Philadelphia over the weekend, keeping an eye on the Phillies closer. Wagner is open to a move, the Philadelphia Daily News reports. "I definitely would be disappointed [if the Phillies are out of it] and I wasn't traded," Wagner told the newspaper. "[GM] Ed Wade didn't bring me here to pitch for a team that's selling. It's unfathomable to think I wouldn't be traded if we don't have a chance for the wild card."

Juan Pierre
    Who is Interested: Cubs

Rumors have resurfaced that the Cubs are in hot pursuit of Marlins leadoff man Juan Pierre, but according to the Chicago Sun-Times, Cubs officials insist they haven't been talking to Florida about the speedy center fielder. Cubs GM Jim Hendry has made inquiries about leadoff men but has yet to find one he wants who is available at the terms he's willing to pay.

Austin Kearns
    Who is Interested: Braves, Cubs

The Reds continue to field a slew of calls from teams interested in Austin Kearns, who is tearing it up for Triple-A Louisville. But Cincinnati GM Dan O'Brien has told clubs the Reds have no interest in trading Kearns, ESPN.com Insider Jerry Crasnick reports. The Reds might be more inclined to move Wily Mo Pena or possibly Adam Dunn, who's in line make $8-9 million next year.
    According to the Chicago Sun-Times, the Cubs keep checking to see if O'Brien has a change of heart. O'Brien might be willing to trade Kearns to the Cubs if left-hander Rich Hill is in the deal. But it seems unlikely that Chicago GM Jim Hendry would go that far, as much as he would like to get his hands on Kearns.

Barry Larkin
    Who is Interested: Nationals

With Nationals shortstop Cristian Guzman continuing to struggle offensively, GM Jim Bowden is considering a radical solution, the Washington Times reports. Bowden has called Nationals special assistant Barry Larkin to try and persuade the 12-time All-Star to come out of retirement and play for the rest of the season. Larkin, 41, ended a spectacular 19-year playing career with the Reds last winter.
    Bowden, the Reds' former GM, has summoned Larkin twice this season to work with Guzman at the plate, but it hasn't helped. The shortstop is batting .190, more than points below Larkin's career average. "I wouldn't keep calling if I didn't think there was a chance [to lure Larkin out of retirement]," Bowden told the newspaper. "Would I like to see him put [a uniform] on and help us out the last two or three months? Yeah."

JC Romero
    Who is Interested: Red Sox

According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the Red Sox have called the Twins looking for pitching and are believed to be interested in left-hander J.C. Romero, who could help stabilize a bullpen that had a 5.51 ERA entering Monday -- the second-highest in the American League.
    The Twins are looking for hitting, and the Red Sox might be willing to deal veteran third baseman Bill Mueller, who is batting .277 with four homers, 36 RBI and a .379 on-base percentage. He is making $2.5 million and will be a free agent after the season.

First baseman-outfielder Kevin Millar also is available, although he has indicated he would prefer to stay with the World Series champions.

Added from Rotoworld: According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the Red Sox have called the Twins about J.C. Romero and the Twins may be interested in Bill Mueller.

Adam Dunn
    Who is Interested: Mets, Dodgers, Astros

The Dodgers, Astros and Mets all have an interest in Adam Dunn, who comes from Houston and has made it clear he'd love to play there, ESPN.com Insider Jerry Crasnick reports. The Astros have looked at both Dunn and Aubrey Huff as first base possibilities, which would allow them to shift Lance Berkman back to the outfield. Houston management still doesn't know what to expect from Jeff Bagwell, who's trying to come back from shoulder surgery.
    Dunn's big appeal lies in his eye-popping, 40-50 homer power. But he strikes out a ton and could fetch $8 million next year in salary arbitration, and some baseball people question whether he, like Austin Kearns, could be in better shape. "Some of those Reds guys have really put it on cruise control this year,'' said an NL front office man.

According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, Dunn is staying put. When asked if the Reds are shopping Dunn, Reds GM Dan O'Brien recently said: "Negative." However, Dunn's name likely will come up as the trading deadline approaches. At 25, he is already one of the game's top sluggers, and makes only $4.6 million this year.

With Dunn eligible for arbitration, his salary is likely at least to double for 2006. If the Reds aren't interested in signing him long term, they might be better off trading him. Since they are in last place in the NL Central, there's a good chance their payroll will drop from this year's team record $61.8 million. That would mean someone making big money -- Dunn, Sean Casey, Ken Griffey Jr. or Eric Milton -- may have to be traded to balance the budget.

Juan Encarnacion
    Who is Interested: Cardinals, Yankees

The Cardinals might have an interest in Juan Encarnacion now that Reggie Sanders is out a month with a fractured leg, ESPN.com Insider Jerry Crasnick reports. But if the Marlins deal both A.J. Burnett and Mike Lowell -- as has been rumored -- they'll free up enough salary that they won't have to move Encarnacion, who is quietly having a productive season for a Florida team that's lacking in offense. He's third on the Marlins with 52 RBI and showing more patience than he has in the past.

Ken Griffey Jr
    Who is Interested: Yankees, White Sox

The Reds would like to part with Griffey, but he has a burdensome contract and the right to veto any deal, so that isn't happening, ESPN.com Insider Jerry Crasnick reports. "Even if you can make a trade for Junior, good luck trying to get him to take it,'' said a National League GM. "Then you have to wonder what his mood is going to be like after he says no.''
    According to the Daily Southtown, the White Sox could make a pitch for Griffey, who is on pace for 30 home runs and 100-plus RBI and appears to be over his injury problems. Griffey is a left-handed swinger and has loads of postseason experience, both of which the Sox lack.

But as much as Chicago GM Ken Williams wants to tweak his roster, he has to be careful not to disrupt team chemistry, which ranks on the short list of reasons for team success this season

"We have to be careful here, but nothing will change the fact that we've set our sights on the playoffs," Williams told the newspaper. "If we're fortunate enough to get there, then we'll focus on even greater things."

NY Yankees
    Need: CF Help

The Yankees are still looking to upgrade in center field, The New York Times reports. They would welcome a proven starter like Juan Pierre of Florida or Randy Winn of Seattle. But with GM Brain Cashman's reluctance to trade prospects, a more realistic acquisition could be a lesser outfielder like Eric Byrnes of Colorado or Philadelphia's Endy Chavez, who have the speed to cover center and would not hurt much on offense.

Tony Graffanino
    Interested: Red Sox

The Red Sox are reportedly interested in Tony Graffanino. Boston tried to sign Graffanino as a free agent two years ago, but he chose to sign with the Royals instead. Smart move

MLB ERA
    there is no way larkin will come out of retirement.

LEAVE BARRY BE JIMBO
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I like this one:

Juan Pierre
    Who is Interested: Juan Pierre

yeah, i meant to put Cubs, but i did this like 10 minutes after i woke up

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

MLB ERA
    I like that they say Cristian Guzman is struggling. He's struggling the way the Titanic struggled to stay afloat.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Quote Originally Posted by msneezie31
    Austin Kearns
    Who is Interested: Braves, Cubs

The Reds continue to field a slew of calls from teams interested in Austin Kearns, who is tearing it up for Triple-A Louisville. But Cincinnati GM Dan O'Brien has told clubs the Reds have no interest in trading Kearns, ESPN.com Insider Jerry Crasnick reports. The Reds might be more inclined to move Wily Mo Pena or possibly Adam Dunn, who's in line make $8-9 million next year.
    According to the Chicago Sun-Times, the Cubs keep checking to see if O'Brien has a change of heart. O'Brien might be willing to trade Kearns to the Cubs if left-hander Rich Hill is in the deal. But it seems unlikely that Chicago GM Jim Hendry would go that far, as much as he would like to get his hands on Kearns.
    Keep Kearns, we don't want him, and sorry, he's not good enough for us to trade Rich Hill.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    So at this point, is there anyone not rumored to be traded on Cincy?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

A lot of this stuff doesnt make sense though. Thome to either the White Sox, Cardinals, Cubs, Indians?? First of all, ever heard of Frank Thomas/Paul Konerko, Albert Pujols, Derrek Lee?? Why in the world, would any of those teams take him, and pick up his huge salary? The Indians could be a possiblilty with Hafner stuck at DH, but what happens to Broussard? Not that Broussard is amazing or anything but I would think that if Thome went anywhere, it would be to a AL team, and I dont see him moving regardless. Second of all, I know this is a huge rumored deal, but why in the world would the Marlins want Steve Kline, Larry Bigbie, Jorge Julio and Hayden Penn. The only player I'd want from that group of Hayden Penn. Kline screwed up and left St Louis and now he's still heartbroken. Julio was a one time closer and is no better than Guillermo Mota, especially since Todd Jones is doing well as the closer right now. Larry Bigbie isnt even starting in Baltimore, so why would he start over Cabrera, Pierre, Encarnacion (if he isnt traded) and when prime time prospect Jeremy Hermida gets called up. Doesnt make any sense at all for the Marlins. Why would a team in the running for the wild card (Twins) want to remove one of the best setup men/middle relievers in the game for a 3B who isnt doing anything this year and is making 2.5 mil and is soon to be a FA after the season. Once again, doesn't make any sense for the Twins. I know they have a pressing need at 3B, but they could find a better 3B for a cheaper price.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Do professional sports transactions ever make complete sense?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    I like that they say Cristian Guzman is struggling. He's struggling the way the Titanic struggled to stay afloat.
    Four million dollars could help so many humans in need. Food, clothing, medical treatment, etc. Or it can get Christian Guzman to get on base at the staggering clip of .228 and slug at .274 (It's pretty close to .300, that's good right?) But he plays defense ok, so I guess that the Nationals got what they wanted.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Bret Boone for a PTBNL was perfect.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    I hope ATL doesn't make a move for Kearns.