Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Young to be traded

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rangers Michael Young to be traded

Michael Young "has grown disillusioned with his diminished role on the team" and and the Rangers will attempt to trade him in the coming week, according to Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports.
    The Rangers have been in contact with the Rockies and Angels about Young, with Colorado being the most talked-about and likely destination. The Denver Post's Troy Renck reported earlier that the Rockies are requesting that the Rangers pay roughly $20 million of the $48 million remaining on Young's contract, which we think is more than fair. He posted a .774 OPS last season to go with mediocre defense at the hot corner. Adrian Beltre now has that position and Mike Napoli will eat DH at-bats, rendering Young superfluous. Young is 34 years old and his 10-and-5 rights activate in May. This situation has become untenable and we expect to see a trade in the near future.
    I don't blame Young one bit. Sure the Rangers did well to give him a lot of money (too much) but he has been asked repeatedly to switch positions and he has obliged but to be knocked down to part-time DH is just ridiculous. Young's defense has diminished but he's not a butcher in the field. He definitely deserves a full-time job somewhere. The Rangers will have to eat a lot of money to move him and I (as a Giants fan) hope the Rockies do get him because I just don't see that as a good fit. Where would he play?

MLB ERA

Re: Michael Young to be traded

I agree that he should be upset. Several years in a row, the team has asked him to make a move "for the good of the team" and he agreed. This may be a bit much.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Eh, wherever he's traded won't have much impact IMHO.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He won't be a part timer even it he's not dealt.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

How do you figure that? He will be splitting time with Napoli at DH.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Napoli's playing time will be shared at catcher, first, and if he DHs, Young is going to be in the field giving someone a rest. Besides, it's Napoli, Young isn't going to be knocked down to 300 or 400 ABs for a guy who barely hits over .200.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Napoli and Young are going to share the DH duties and both would find AB's at other positions as you stated. Napoli will back up Moreland and Torreabla, Young with Beltre and possibly Andrus and Kinsler. Either way you slice it, its not full-time work.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Several years in a row, the team has asked him to make a move "for the good of the team" and he agreed.
    The Rangers are just asking him to move again. This time, it's to Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I thinks its Young who is doing the asking.

MLB ERA

With that contract, anything he says doesn't matter anyway. The Rangers would love to move him, "face of the franchise" bullshit aside.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Estaban Loaiza is sad this is all happening.
    Still had to believe the Jays traded this guy away for the man with some of the worst facial hair in all of baseball.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    With that contract, anything he says doesn't matter anyway. The Rangers would love to move him, "face of the franchise" bullshit aside.
    I think Hamilton has taken over the face of the franchise but I see what you're saying.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Young can veto deals to teams other than the Cardinals, Yankees, Twins, Astros, Rockies, Dodgers, Angels and Padres. The Dodgers, Angels and Rockies have all expressed interest.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Rockies are apparently out of the bidding for Young.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal, the Dodgers asked the Rangers to eat 75 percent of Michael Young's remaining contract during trade talks this week.
    In other words, the Dodgers wanted Texas to eat $36 million of the three years and $48 million left on Young's current deal. That's absolutely insane, but also indicative of how other teams view the 34-year-old infielder. He is not a good defender and he has not produced at a high rate offensively away from the power-friendly confines of the Rangers' Ballpark in Arlington. Texas might just be forced to hang on to him this season and Young will have to try to paint a smile on his face when he makes his way to Rangers camp later this month.
    75% seems a little much but the Rangers will have to eat a lot of salary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast