Thread: Jason Bay signs with Mets, destroys his fantasy value

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Mets Jason Bay signs with Mets, destroys his fantasy value

I know Fos posted this in the Mets forum, but I think most are afraid to enter there in fear of injury.

Well, here is Minaya's move to counter the Phillies getting Doc. Enjoy all those homeruns you'll hit in Citi Jason.

By Dave Sheinin
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Oddly quiet all off-season, the New York Mets finally made their long-awaited answer to the significant moves of their crosstown and divisional rivals -- that would be the Yankees and Phillies, respectively -- agreeing to terms with free agent left fielder Jason Bay on a four-year deal believed to be worth around $65 million.

The deal, first reported by WFAN's Mike Francesa, remains unofficial pending a physical. Bay had been seeking a guaranteed fifth year from his suitors -- which included the Boston Red Sox, Los Angeles Angels, Seattle Mariners and San Francisco Giants -- but had to settle for four guaranteed years plus a fifth-year club option that would vest if Bay hits certain, as-yet-unspecified durability thresholds.

Earlier this month, the Red Sox, for whom Bay hit .267 with 36 homers and 119 RBI in 2009, turned away from Bay over his demands for a fifth guaranteed year and replaced him with free agent Mike Cameron. The Mets' offer, meantime, appears to have sat unchanged for more than two weeks before Bay finally accepted.

Bay, 31, will bring much-needed power to a Mets lineup that finished last in the majors in home runs (95) in 2009 -- although, like other free agents, he may have initially balked at the thought of hitting in the Mets' cavernous new Citi Field. He has hit 30 or more homers and driven in 100 or more runs in four of the last five seasons.
    washingtonpost.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jason Bay signs with Mets, destroys his fantasy value-imgnews-7-jpg  
    Last edited by missionhockey21; 01-11-2010 at 08:10 AM.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Jason Bay signs with Mets, destroys his fantasy value

There's only one Matt Holliday to go around. Either it ends with Pujols losing protection in the lineup or it's back to the same piss poor run support for the precious Giants pitchers. I'm pleased, the hell with what the rest of you think.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Bay will hit the DL mid may.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    I know Fos posted this in the Mets forum, but I think most are afraid to enter there in fear of injury.
    Thanks for recognizing the fact that all I have done this week is sit at the folks home, and watch the twitter feed and sports hi-lites.

As for the deal. Meh, its funny to note that pay a guy to play for one more year was all it took for the Mets to beat out the Red Sox. And it's not even a guarantee that it's a 5th year in NY, its a "vesting" year. So what, they are gonna start wearing "vests" like the Pirates?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I honestly don't get the move for Bay. I guess some really are all about the cash. I could understand if the Red Sox weren't close at all, but they were. Enjoy looking at that 2009 career high in homers total, we're not going to see that again next year. But if he did somehow manage to hit over 1/3rd of the homers that the entire Mets team hit last season, he must have gained hulk like strength over the offseason.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Rumor has it they offered Jason Bay exclusive rights to Anna Benson.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.