Thread: Volquez To have Surgery

MLB ERA

Reds Volquez To have Surgery

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Volquez to have surgery Monday
    Posted by TomGroeschen at 8/1/2009 2:52 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

RHP Edinson Volquez will have right elbow surgery Monday, the Reds just announced. On the DL since June 2, Volquez yesterday complained of elbow stiffness and soreness after throwing 20 pitches of a scheduled 80-pitch simulated game.

A prognosis for recovery will be determined after Monday's surgery, the Reds said. From here, it would seem we have seen the last of Volquez this season. We'll get comments from the clubhouse, which opens at 3:40 p.m. to the media.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Volquez To have Surgery

Terrible news. Volquez's second half last season was nowhere near as impressive as his first half and combine that with his injury and time off, I doubt we will see that same pitcher of the start of 2007 again. I hope I am wrong of course.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

This is going to keep on hurting us even into next season. I would be so much more positive about next year if he were to be ready to go by OD.

With the offseason moves likely to be minimal if any, we could really use the comfort of having a strong rotation going into next season.

Granted, we will still have a lot to talk about i.e. Bailey possibly coming into his own, Arroyo a second half dominator, Harang still putting up decent numbers without getting the Ws, etc. But Volquez being out is going to continue to hurt.

MLB ERA

Reds Re: Volquez To have Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    This is going to keep on hurting us even into next season. I would be so much more positive about next year if he were to be ready to go by OD.

With the offseason moves likely to be minimal if any, we could really use the comfort of having a strong rotation going into next season.

Granted, we will still have a lot to talk about i.e. Bailey possibly coming into his own, Arroyo a second half dominator, Harang still putting up decent numbers without getting the Ws, etc. But Volquez being out is going to continue to hurt.
    If theres little done in Cincy this offseason I would write Volquez off as a contributor until at the absolute earliest September. This team as it is currently constituted will not be competitive enough against the top teams to last in the race, to rush Volquez to try and blindly hope "the stars align" is borderline malpractice.

We still have 3 solid starters and 1 guy who looks like he could move into that category going into next year. Thats potentially very solid with or without Volquez. Do not rush Volquez, his value into the future could be a lot more important than it would be him pitching at 65% trying to be the tough guy. Let him get to 100% before you even think of letting Dusty run him out there. Even then I'd return him as a reliever to rebuild that arm strength and get his body use to throwing in the majors again.

The Reds could prove me wrong, but I dont expect much of a splash in free agency so I would pretty much write off Volquez for 2010 and make sure he is ready for 2011 and healthy, any contribution from him would be icing on the cake.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Remember back when people were saying (like 2006, 2007) wait until 2010? Ha. We're always waiting for next next year. Wow.

I do agree though, having patience with Volquez is the best strategy. I think the rotation will be fine without him, just not spectacular like it could be with him (which is what we need given our deficiencies elsewhere.) Bailey looks like he is starting to become the real deal, maybe not the next Tom Seaver, but a quality arm who could be a #2 if he continues to refine his control and work on his secondary pitches (which were worlds better last season.) It would be nice if we could though sign a good stopgap veteran pitcher to a one year deal to shore up the rotation and give it some stability in case Bailey struggles or the 5th member of the rotation.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Yea, I would pretty much say forget about 2010 as far as Volquez is concerned. Tough break.