Blog Entries

National League Pirates Trade Sanchez to Giants

For Tim Alderson...

Sources: Post Gazette.com and Rotoworld.com

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Pirates Trade Sanchez to Giants

MLBTradeRumor's is showing this now as well.

Alderson was the #4 ranked prospect in the Giants system according to Baseball America.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Pirates have traded Freddy Sanchez to the Giants for pitching prospect Tim Alderson, according to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Sanchez hit .296/.334/.442 in 382 at-bats for the Pirates this year. He plugs a big hole at second base for San Francisco. It's surprising that the Giants surrendered top pitching prospect Tim Alderson, who was the 22nd pick in the 2007 draft. Alderson was ranked as the 60th best prospect in the game by Baseball Prospectus prior to this season. Pittsburgh netted a much larger return for Sanchez than Arizona received for Felipe Lopez. No word yet on money exchanging hands, although one would expect Pittsburgh would have to kick in some cash based on the quality of prospect it is receiving. Sanchez has a $8.1 million vesting option for 2010.
    The Rotoworld writeup. I'll withhold my comments until the shellshock wears off.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

6:19pm: Kovacevic says that no money is being exchanged in the Sanchez deal, which makes it all the more impressive for the Pirates. Keith Law (Insider) recently ranked the 20-year-old Alderson the 26th-best prospect in all of baseball.
    Sources: MLBTradeRumors.com and Post-Gazette.com

My stance: Freddy offered to sign an extension today at a very reasonable price(3 years, 20 million), so I was kinda hoping we'd hang on to him...for a minute anyway. Getting this kind of prospect for him was more than an enough for me to be happy. I don't put much into Keith Law's assessments, but 26th best in baseball is very intriguing.

Delwyn Young should get most of the PT at 2B now(unless the club sours on his defense, and then it'd be Vazquez playing 2B with Cedeno at SS). He even hit 3rd today, so it's obvious we really like his bat.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Tim Alderson is a stud. Glad they decided to break up the duo of him and Madison Bumgarner.

MLB ERA

Hey look. The Pirates made a good trade. Damn..........
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I liked the trade myself and I apologize for being late on this one. Alderson would have been a great keep but was expendable because we still have very promising pitching prospects. Alderson has great control and the Pirates definitely got themselves a future top 3 starter. Sanchez hopefully will be re-signed in the offseason at a discount price for the Giants. He was a disappointment but we understand it was injuries. A healthy Sanchez and that WC race would have looked a lot different.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Giants will bend over for Sanchez if they must to justify trading Tim Alderson.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants won't bend over. They will offer somewhere around the three years, $20 million that the Pirates were going to offer. Not a bad deal for Sanchez.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Told you the Giants wouldn't bend over. Great signing for the Giants!! That's a big hole filled for the next two years