Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buster Olney - J. Mauer in Pinstripes?

MLB ERA

Re: Buster Olney - J. Mauer in Pinstripes?

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    Mauer has to go to a team offering him a competitive salary out of respect for the other players in the league... and those 3 teams are the ones I listed

I'm sorry if you guys don't like that but its the way it will be unless someone makes a good case for another team
    If the Twins offer him a reasonable contract, he will sign it, regardless of what other teams offer him. He has quite a few endorsements around the Twin Cities that make up for a lot of the difference in salary.
    I've got a hunch the Twins will make an offer and look at the agent's counter-offer. They will meet in the middle and things will be just fine in Minnesota.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Honestly, I just don't see how you can tell yourself he's going to take less money. It never happens. Well....rarely happens, especially a player of his caliber. It happened with Tex and it's going to happen with Mauer. He's too good. And he's going to get a HUGE offer. One even Mauer won't be able to refuse
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Maybe the yankees will offer Ian Kennedy and Phil Hughes for him.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Mauer has said he wants to stay in MN. He's a hometown player, and the fans would be absolutely devastated if he doesn't resign. Twins have money...giving contracts to Nathan, Cuddyer, and Morneau the last few years, they know what they are doing.

and a big +1 to what catman said.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA

If they can offer him the money, then they can keep him. Otherwise, if they can't at least be competative with their offer, I don't see how they can pull it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    If the Twins offer him a reasonable contract, he will sign it, regardless of what other teams offer him. He has quite a few endorsements around the Twin Cities that make up for a lot of the difference in salary.
    I've got a hunch the Twins will make an offer and look at the agent's counter-offer. They will meet in the middle and things will be just fine in Minnesota.

To clarify the 3 teams are MIN, BOS, NYY in that order... so catman yes I agree with that... the only reason he leaves is if he wants a WS contender now (aka if hes not sure his back is going to hold up)

To say though catman that he wouldnt get endorsements in BOS and NYY as well would be laughable
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I say he stays as the presence he created in a Minnesota is unmistakable.
    You should understand this cj, D-Pod in Boston is something as an icon, as is Big Papi. They create a stigma, a surrounding in the city they play in. When they return winners they are gods, and when they return losers, the fans are still behind them.

If Mauer was to leave Minnesota I think he loses this. Look at Tex in New York. A free agent comes in, starts off slow, and some people jump on his back. Ortiz started brutally slow, yet the fans in Boston never gave up on him as much. Mauer could stay in Minny, making a "very" good salary, and the endorsements to take the salary even higher. Plus he won't have to worry about being a villan, and living his days as a king. Another factor, it's Minnesota. Sorry folks, this isn't Boston or New York, the pressure to perform ain't as big in the state of hockey.

MLB ERA

To clarify the 3 teams are MIN, BOS, NYY in that order... so catman yes I agree with that... the only reason he leaves is if he wants a WS contender now (aka if hes not sure his back is going to hold up)

To say though catman that he wouldnt get endorsements in BOS and NYY as well would be laughable
    Who is to say the Twins won't be a WS contender in the next few seasons? They are not that far away right now.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

How can they afford to keep all of those pieces? You guys are pretty far away, your rotation is okay but its not great and you need a middle infield along with a bullpen...
    MSLSeattle0001

MLB ERA

You aren't looking at the minor leagues, I am. The Twins have a couple of arms that will be ready in the next year or 2 (Slama and Delaney) and 2 guys that could handle 2B for the team (Dinkleman and Tolleson), not to mention Alexi Casilla (who could handle SS if the team and Brendan Harris don't continue their association). Also, the team has RA Dickey, who can pitch an inning or 2 everyday.
    With the new ballpark opening next season, cashflow is not a real problem. The Pohlads are among the wealthiest owners in the bigs and they might be persuaded to raise the payroll a bit to keep everyone the team needs.
    By the way, Mauer is represented by the same agent, Ron Shapiro, that represented Kirby Puckett. The management has a very good relationship with him.
    I'm not really too concerned about Mauer leaving. He has said he wants to stay and that's a good sign.

MLB ERA

Of course an ESPN analyst says that Boston and NYY will be the two teams involved in the bidding (in addition to the Twins).

In reality, come 2010 you're going to have close to the whole league interested if he slips though, including but not limited to both LA teams, the Cubs, Mets, Nats (yes, Washington), maybe even Seattle. Of course you'll have the Red Sox and Yankees right there too.

All of those teams will have the money and (outside of the Cubs & Dodgers) likely will have the need. Although, Soto and Martin are having awful years- young or not- come 2010 who knows what could have happened to either of them? Dodgers have spoke on moving Martin to 3b every now and then too.

In the end I think he resigns with the Twins before he can even hit the market. Maybe next contract around he'll test FA waters... but I don't even think it's going to get to that point now.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

Im sorry guys but none of those teams you mentioned will Sign Mauer to a 7 year 140-160 mil deal... the Mets have not had luck with the mega dezls in the past besides they have Santos who is a nice young catcher

Actually, the Nats might but it would depend on if he thinks they are a WS contender, which he has said he wants.

People seem to be forgetting I put those 3 teams in order: MIN, BOS, NYY... this means I think hes ending up in MIN... but the Sox and Yanks will be the other 2 MAJOR suitors... other teams will surely make offers but they wont be as outrageous as those 2
    MSLSeattle0001

MLB ERA

Im sorry guys but none of those teams you mentioned will Sign Mauer to a 7 year 140-160 mil deal... the Mets have not had luck with the mega dezls in the past besides they have Santos who is a nice young catcher

Actually, the Nats might but it would depend on if he thinks they are a WS contender, which he has said he wants.

People seem to be forgetting I put those 3 teams in order: MIN, BOS, NYY... this means I think hes ending up in MIN... but the Sox and Yanks will be the other 2 MAJOR suitors... other teams will surely make offers but they wont be as outrageous as those 2
    What mega deals have the Mets had trouble with? Beltran's been successful. Piazza was successful. Vaughn and Alomar were trades that worked out poorly, but weren't free agent offers. The Mets are a team, that if a superior player at a position they need help at is available and they have money(which they will in after 2010), they will make a play for them.

Also, Santos is completely mediocre. He has a .271 Average, a .294 OBP, and an OPS+ of 89. He's had some good games, he's won a few games single handedly, but he's more of a backup catcher than an everyday starter. Also, he's 28. Not quite "young". He'll be 29-30 by the time we're talking about Mauer, so the Mets will likely have an opening at catcher.

MLB ERA

The Yankees like to build within their farm lately, and have Jorge Posada locked up until the end of time. If they really want to go way over the luxery come 2010 when guys like Burnett still aren't performing under their mega deals (you say the Mets have had bad luck?...) then maybe, but they do like Cervelli a lot as a backup, and if Montero can stay behind the plate he will be one of the better hitting catchers in the league. That's an if mind you, but still. They also signed Gary Sanchez this year, another dominican catcher, for 2 million (he's 16, but obviously they view him as a part of their future to waste 2 million on him, no?).

The Yankees aren't going to need Mauer and likely aren't going to persue him as heavily as you think. I'm sure Boston will go hard, but that doesn't mean a bunch of other teams aren't going to go just as hard.

MLB has 30 teams-- the Sox and Yankees only make up 2 of that 30... remember that guys.
    Last edited by nick; 07-07-2009 at 03:26 AM.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

Minor Leaguer
    AA ERA

Red Sox Re: Buster Olney - J. Mauer in Pinstripes?

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    I have to agree as much as I would love to see him in Boston, from what I know of him he seems very happy where he is and would not try to go for the biggest money.
    The Twins have been known to come up with money for someone like him to keep him like a hometown hero like Puckett.

PS If the Twins don't sign him I think the Sox have the best chance to sign Mauer.
    God Bless You !!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123