Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Kent Retires

MLB ERA

Re: Jeff Kent Retires

Umm, Kent is a 2B. They typically don't have any power, and if they do, it usually develops later on than with other positions. Check Roberto Alomar and see how his power developed after 5 or 6 seasons. Sandberg didn't develop power till his 3rd or 4th year. I mean, it's just the position differences.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Kent is a no doubt HOFer and its not even close. He was the most prolific second baseman of the era in which he played. Kent was a force in the lineup and even won a MVP in 2000 over a future HOFer in Bonds. Go to baseball-reference and look at the players most comparable to him. Pretty good company he's in. Kent wasn't the greatest defensive second baseman but he had a great double play turn with his quick hands and footwork. He didn;t have the best range but that double play turn never got enough credit.

cjkalt, you usually do good homework but you were dead wrong on this one. Kent had 21 HRs in his second season, 20 in '95 and would have 20 in the strike season of '94. That would have been three seasons with 20 or more HRs in his first five seasons, not zero.

MLB ERA

I think most can agree that Kent is a no doubter but I have a question. What better time to elect him than....

The same year you put Bonds in the Hall of Fame since they were such great buds in SF .
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I'd love to see two Giants going in the Hall together

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It'll be greater when Kent makes it in and Bonds does not. The irony.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    So are you saying Jeff Kent used steroids? I don't care if his numbers were in the steroid era, unless he himself used. In fact, if they were in that era, and he DIDN'T use them, that's all the more impressive.
    His numbers in his era aren't outstanding though. Sandberg had 9 GGs, 7 SSs.
    Bold is better between the two. Underlined is tied.

Check out leaderboards for more:
    Sandberg Top 10 Finishes:
    BA: 4
    OBP: 1
    SLG: 5
    OPS: 6
    R: 8 (3x #1)
    H: 8
    TB: 6 (1x #1)
    2B: 2
    3B: 4 (1x #1)
    HR: 5 (1x #1)
    RBI: 2

Kent won 0 GGs, 4 SSs.

BA: 2
    OBP: 1
    SLG: 2
    OPS: 1 (10th place also)
    R: 3
    H: 2
    TB: 2
    2B: 4
    3B: 3
    HR: 1
    RBI: 6

Led league in none of these categories too.

How can you elect a guy who won 1 MVP and never led his league in anything? He's not worthy; his numbers in his era aren't worthy of the HOF.

MLB ERA

Those are his numbers COMPARED TO EVERYONE ELSE. But when you compare them to all the other 2nd basemen, I don't even need to do the research to tell you they're the best
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yeah sorry Dry but you are dead wrong. He is worthy, the most prolific second baseman of the era he played in and did the lead the league in something. He lead the league in extra base hits in 2002, the year the Giants went to the World Series. He also lead the league in sac flies a couple of times. He also lead the league in MVP votes. If I had to choose between Sandberg and Kent I would definitely go with Sandberg who I view to be the best of all-time. But when Kent has a better BA, OPS, more hits, HRs, doubles and RBI, that says a lot! Jeff Kent was the first second baseman to win a MVP since........you guessed it, Ryne Sandberg.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Kent is a no doubt HOFer and its not even close. He was the most prolific second baseman of the era in which he played. Kent was a force in the lineup and even won a MVP in 2000 over a future HOFer in Bonds. Go to baseball-reference and look at the players most comparable to him. Pretty good company he's in. Kent wasn't the greatest defensive second baseman but he had a great double play turn with his quick hands and footwork. He didn;t have the best range but that double play turn never got enough credit.
    Totally agree here. It was a shame he couldn't hang on for another whole season and try to hit 400 homers, not that it should have any weight on whether he is worthy of the HoF because he already is.

That said, I think his chances are good when you compare him to his peers of the era, the fact that he was an "awards" player, and set a high mark in a position not known for power. But I don't think he'll get in on his first vote as he doesn't have a ton of friends in the media and I am sure they'll make him suffer for a year or two.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I find it sad that writers won't vote for greatness because a few writers didn't get enough one on one time with a player or that Kent wasn't that quotable. Some people don't like talking to the media and I don't blame them. Nolan Ryan hated speaking with the media and in front people in general. Kent wasn't that well liked but does it really skew what he did in between the white lines? I don't think it should.

MLB ERA

I agree completely, Reefer. It shouldn't but it probably does. If a voter is unsure as to if a guy should make it, they will be more likely to pick him if he's personable. Unfortunately, Kent will be hurt by that, but I don't think it'll be enough to keep him out of the Hall.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I don't either but MIssion is right, it will probably take him a couple of times because of his attitude towards the media. But one thing I must point out. Kent dealt with a LOT of Bonds questions after he left SF and answered all of them! They can;t forget all he had to deal with in the steroid era.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Just for the record, I don't agree that media treatment should impact voting either (not in any way, positively or negatively.)

MLB ERA

I agree with you guys, it shouldn't happen.

But to be fair, I mean, think about it. If a guy treated you like shit when you're just trying to write a story, you're not going to treat him too positively when you get your chance to get back at him a little. It's only human
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    Those are his numbers COMPARED TO EVERYONE ELSE. But when you compare them to all the other 2nd basemen, I don't even need to do the research to tell you they're the best
    Right...because he didn't even hit .300!

He was a 1 trick pony. If the other one trick ponies didn't get in, why should he? Matt Williams got 7 votes and he hit 378 HR (1 more than Kent) won 4 GGs and 4 SSs. What's your argument? Williams played 3rd? Fine. That's a crappy argument.

Jeff Kent's Adjusted OPS+? Tied for 258th...behind a ton of crappy players.

What other stats do you want? He wasn't dominant. Tim Raines is 5th in All Time SB and most likely will be for all time; he's not in. If the 5th All Time SB leader isn't in, and if the #1, #6, #8 and #10 HR leaders are all supposedly "iffy choices" because they played in the steroid era and people "think" they could've done steroids, why should Kent (a guy who, before reaching the Giants in 1997, the year that many baseball writers [those are the guys who vote] agree that Bonds began doing steroids) get in being 68th on the list? He wasn't even a goddamned real 2nd baseman! He was a terrible fielder who should've been playing 1st or 3rd his entire career (as evidenced by his 94! SB).

He had a career FP 3% below the League Average...he played his ENTIRE CAREER OUT OF POSITION!

Yeah sorry Dry but you are dead wrong. He is worthy, the most prolific second baseman of the era he played in and did the lead the league in something.
    Ever heard of ****ing Robbie Alomar? He won GG, SS, and WS. Kent won one of the three, and probably had steroids to thank. Alomar also hit .300 and was a complete player, including leading the league in runs;

He lead the league in extra base hits in 2002, the year the Giants went to the World Series.
    Notable leaders in XBH:
    AL
    Aubrey Huff
    Shawn Green
    Albert Belle 3x
    Brady Anderson
    Cecil Fielder
    Ruben Sierra

NL
    Larry Walker
    Ellis Burks
    Dante Bichette
    Bobby Bonilla
    Kevin Mitchell

(that's since '89)

Yeah, really prestigious thing to do.

He also lead the league in sac flies a couple of times.
    As far as leading in SAC Flies, who the **** cares? In other words, he made an out and a run scored because they happened to be on 3rd when he got up and flied out; big deal.

He also lead the league in MVP votes.
    So did Zoilo Versalles.

One good season doesn't make you a HOFer...not to mention, Todd Helton was Top 10 in the NL in 23 categories, led the league in BA, OBP, SLG, OPS and RBI that year, and got robbed "because he played in Coors Field."

I'm still incredulous as to how Kent won that MVP. He trailed Helton in every single category...then again, most of the NL did.

If I had to choose between Sandberg and Kent I would definitely go with Sandberg who I view to be the best of all-time.
    Rogers Hornsby, Nap Lajoie, Nellie Fox, Rod Carew, Frankie Frisch, Eddie Collins, Charlie Gehringer, Jackie Robinson and Joe Morgan are sure happy you feel that way, even though all of them were probably as good or better than Sandberg.

And all were substantially better than Kent. Being good in one category doesn't make you a HOF (ask Graig Nettles, who isn't in because he played at the same time as Brooks Robinson and thusly lost out on a ton of GGs)

But when Kent has a better BA, OPS, more hits, HRs, doubles and RBI, that says a lot!
    Prove he didn't do steroids, and maybe I'd agree with you.

But when you take out his 6 seasons with the Giants (which you can't, because they're his prime) he's average at best.

He's an interesting case, but all I need to say to you is that Larry Walker is better than him in nearly every category and you said that Walker isn't an HOF...

If anyone can prove that Kent was more than a liability defensively at 2B, maybe I'll agree that he deserves to be in because he was such a unique power hitter there.

But until you do, he's just a worse version of Matt Williams to me.

Jeff Kent was the first second baseman to win a MVP since........you guessed it, Ryne Sandberg.
    ONE SEASON DOESN'T MERIT YOU THE HOF
    Totally agree here. It was a shame he couldn't hang on for another whole season and try to hit 400 homers, not that it should have any weight on whether he is worthy of the HoF because he already is.
    Support your argument? Honestly, he isn't.

That said, I think his chances are good when you compare him to his peers of the era, the fact that he was an "awards" player, and set a high mark in a position not known for power. But I don't think he'll get in on his first vote as he doesn't have a ton of friends in the media and I am sure they'll make him suffer for a year or two.
    Awards player? He won SS and an MVP...do you want a list of people who aren't in the HOF with his awards?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast