Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Manny the Yankee

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rumor Manny the Yankee

Impactodeportivo.com.do reports that the Yankees are on the verge of signing Manny Ramirez to a three-year, $75 million deal.
    Doubtful, extremely doubtful. Still, everyone else will picking up on the Dominican-based report soon enough. Manny to the Yankees is a definite possibility, but it's highly unlikely that the two sides are this far along. On the off chance that it is, a more legitimate source will pick up on it soon.
    ESPN is also saying that Manny is expecting a three year offer from the Yankees very soon. Seems like bullshit but if its not, the Yankees are in trouble. Just another example of the Yankees signing a big name and not a good fit.

MLB ERA

Re: Manny the Yankee

Yup, they already have 6 outfielders(I count Swisher as a OF even though he'll play 1B), so OF COURSE they should sign one more who can't field to add to their collection of Damon and Matsui.

[/End Sarcasm]

MLB ERA

So much for the dreadlocks.

MLB ERA

Hank said he didn't care about Manny's hair...

MLB ERA

Please make this go away.....we need Texieira if they're gonna spend money, not Manny.....
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Hank said he didn't care about Manny's hair...
    hmmmmm so he's not like his dad.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Why not just BUY every top free agent in the game? This is getting to be a f'ing joke. This is why I HATE the Yankees! Whats there team payroll going to be this season 300 million? Salary cap is needed in baseball or baseball will be ruined by the Yankees!
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

You know, that point could be valid if the Yankees won every single year which clearly they haven't. Did you notice the payrolls of the two teams that were in the WS?

MLB ERA

The Yankees have only 1 open slot on their 40-man roster. If they sign Manny, they still have holes at 1B, CF and Catcher. Sure they will score a lot of runs, but with the defense they have to put on the field, CC and Burnett will not be happy.
    I do not see Manny being a good fit for the Yankees.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by bwitty24 View Post
    You know, that point could be valid if the Yankees won every single year which clearly they haven't. Did you notice the payrolls of the two teams that were in the WS?
    Whether or not the Yankees win every year isn't really relevant.

They don't win every year because they disregard team chemistry by trying to put together a team of All Stars.

But, the problem is the inability of smaller market teams of being able to do anything in free agency and, more importantly, the inability of smaller market teams to hold on to their home grown talent should said talent insist on going to free agency.

There's a reason teams like the A's always trade away their best talent in their prime.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

That is a good point Leo. How could this be mitigated though? I do not think a salary cap will work in baseball.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by bwitty24 View Post
    That is a good point Leo. How could this be mitigated though? I do not think a salary cap will work in baseball.
    Simple.

If there's a salary cap the bigger markets suddenly have to watch how much they spend on individual contracts, making free agents more accessible to the smaller markets.

There's a reason the San Diego Chargers are able to participate in free agency whenever they deem it necessary and are able to lock up their star talent while the Padres, for the most part, never can.

Why don't you think a salary cap would work?

MLB ERA

But if they were going to introduce a salary cap, they should have done it a long time ago. Now, it may be too late. If they were to do that now, they would have to force a bunch of teams to cut payroll, which is bad for those teams who have put together multiple-year plans based on their financial situation. Also, the players union will put so much pressure on the owners because that limits the salaries they will receive as well, which they would hate.

I agree with you Leo that a salary cap would be good for baseball. Unfortunately, it is too late. a) it will never happen, and b) it would destroy baseball in the short term if introduced now. Long term it would be good, but short term it would ruin it.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

It's never too late to put a stop to the madness.

It's very simple. Nobody has to lower their salary. Any contract already in place doesn't count towards the cap and set some limit as to what they can still add (since you don't want to completely prevent them from signing new contracts because they spent a lot under the old system).

It'd take a few years for it to all even out but it'd be worth it.

AA ERA

I don't necessarily believe baseball needs a salary cap, but there is something the NBA does that I admire and that's the fact they have a relatively affordable max contract and only the team the player previously played for can offer the 6th year, other teams can only offer 5-years max.

This allows teams to stand a better chance of keeping their talented stars and at the least, work out a sign and trade which can gives you a chance to land more developed talent rather than just receiving draft picks if the player is determined to leave your franchise for another.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast