Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Manny the Yankee

MLB ERA

Re: Manny the Yankee

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    It's never too late to put a stop to the madness.

It's very simple. Nobody has to lower their salary. Any contract already in place doesn't count towards the cap and set some limit as to what they can still add (since you don't want to completely prevent them from signing new contracts because they spent a lot under the old system).

It'd take a few years for it to all even out but it'd be worth it.
    HollywoodLeo for Commissioner!!!

I wouldn't say it's SIMPLE, but you bring up a good scenario
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

I like Leo's idea. I think it seems fair on all ends. The problem in my mind though is that a lot of the smaller market teams don't spend so much less because they can't....a lot of these owners are still ridiculously rich, they just don't CARE enough to spend money. David Glass, the Royals owner for example, was the god damn CEO of Wal-Mart for 12 years. You're telling me he's not rich enough to spend a decent amount? He just doesn't care as long as he's not going broke. THAT is the problem to me, any profit those teams make, the owner's pocket the profit instead of investing it back in the team.

MLB ERA

You also make a great point LJ. That is absolutely a problem for baseball, and is another reason why Mark Cuban would bring such an intangable to the game. He would show owners what it's like to care, if Georgey boy in NY hasn't already done that. He may be a cocky asshole, but George did wonders for baseball. He's an amazing businessman, and he cared maybe the most of any owner. This is something that needs to be fixed.

MLB ERA

Thats why, as much as George was an asshole, I respected him. He made many dumb decisions (overruling staff, the whole Billy Martin thing, etc), but everything he did, he did because of a never ending desire to win. That's what team ownership should be about. Not making a profit.

MLB ERA

Well it has to be about making a profit too, you can't exclude the money part of it. But part of winning is making a profit. So they kind of go hand in hand.

MLB ERA

I mean, I know they have to make a profit...but that shouldn't be the sole goal of an owner. I'm sure George had years in the '70's where he lost money, but he continued spending(What he could) to get them back to winning.

MLB ERA

It's a business though...albeit a unique one.

Who are we simple-minded fans to tell former CEOs of Wal-Mart how to run a business?

They're well within their rights to suck...and fans are well within their rights to not pay for merchandise or tickets.

Just because fans refuse to do so isn't the owners fault

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by mntwinsfan View Post
    Why not just BUY every top free agent in the game? This is getting to be a f'ing joke. This is why I HATE the Yankees! Whats there team payroll going to be this season 300 million? Salary cap is needed in baseball or baseball will be ruined by the Yankees!
    They're well within their rights to do so.

If the Twins went out and signed ****ing AJ Burnett I doubt you'd be so into salary caps
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    The Yankees have only 1 open slot on their 40-man roster. If they sign Manny, they still have holes at 1B, CF and Catcher. Sure they will score a lot of runs, but with the defense they have to put on the field, CC and Burnett will not be happy.
    I do not see Manny being a good fit for the Yankees.
    Best post I've seen in this thread...

Although adding his bat, fit or not, would be a jump to any lineup

MLB ERA

I also agree with catman's post. He's not what this team needs position wise. Dry's right, his bat would help any lineup, but you still have to have room for him, and I don't see this team having room without moving a lot of plans around.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Whats there team payroll going to be this season 300 million?
    That's gonna be tough to do seeing as they have, oh, $90 million coming off their payroll.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I too am against a salary cap. Small market teams CAN spend with the big boys but choose not to or just make dumb decisions with their money. The Royals and Orioles could go out and make some big time signings but instead they overpay guys like Kyle Farnsworth and Jamie Walker. Look at the Marlins. Everyone *****es about them not spending money but yet they keep getting winning records. A good scouting department and player development will go a long way. Small market teams have to be smart at picking their battles.

MLB ERA

Why not just BUY every top free agent in the game? This is getting to be a f'ing joke. This is why I HATE the Yankees! Whats there team payroll going to be this season 300 million? Salary cap is needed in baseball or baseball will be ruined by the Yankees!
    If you want to hate, hate your own ****ing owner, who is a multi-billionaire and refused to resign Torrii Hunter and Johan Santana. Don't hate the owners of teams who are willing to spend the money that the team makes from revenue, unlike your owner who likes to keep the money in his pocket!

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

So the Yankees grabbed a new slugger and it isn't Manny. It's all on the Dodgers unless the Mets want to play the same game as the Yankees. If the latter happens, I'm done with baseball.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by bwitty24 View Post
    That is a good point Leo. How could this be mitigated though? I do not think a salary cap will work in baseball.
    Setup a system like the NFL full revenue sharing build a floor and a ceiling on how much must be spent on field products, AKA Bud be an ass toward every team like you are the fans. Thats why NFL is kicking MLB's butt theres legitimate parity and every headline isnt about 3 or 4 teams signing a huge free agent stud(NY, Boston, or LA teams). You would think teams would want to hold on to guys like Jake "Cy Young" Peavy not trade him away because they cant afford him. How is that good for baseball?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

I think its a problem of lack of quality owners than teams not spending, there are guys out there that would be willing to spend the money on the products but Selig doesn't let them in. Salary Caps are lame, I just want a 1 for 1 system on any payroll over 160 million... if your willing to have a 220 mil payroll and pay 60 mil in taxes for small market teams to (ACTUALLY SPEND ON THE FIELD LIKE REQUIRED TO either on prospects or players) pay their players I can live with that
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast