Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dunn traded to Arizona

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Dunn traded to Arizona

Boy, did the Reds blow their window a couple of years ago with Dunn or what! Unlike Mission, I do think the PTBNL's will be worth something since the Reds are sending money AZ's way. No other way to explain the Reds paying Dunn's salary after he is gone. The Dbacks get a guy with a terrible batting average and cannot hit with RISP. He can't play defense so I personally don't see him helping a whole hell of a lot. Dunn's mere presence in the lineup will give pitchers something to think about but his 120 strikeouts is a comforting thought for pitchers. Dbacks get two draft picks when Dunn leaves for free agency so that alone is worth it. The Reds are smart to let Dunn go and I think the Reds will get some good pieces with this deal. Time will tell.

MLB ERA

I agree that the Reds made a good move here. They get some talent in return. I see Dunn in the AL next season where he doesn't need to worry about defense.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He needs to go to a team that has a really good 3 and 4, maybe both, hitter so that he's not really depended on to be.. "clutch"
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Curt Schilling, Dan Haren, Jon Rauch, and now Adam Dunn. I'm ****in tired of loser teams helping the Diamondfags for free.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    He fits in perfectly with their swing and miss a lot mentality.
    Maybe, but unlike a Reynolds, he gets on-base. Hey Arizona, say hello to your number two OBP guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Boy, did the Reds blow their window a couple of years ago with Dunn or what! Unlike Mission, I do think the PTBNL's will be worth something since the Reds are sending money AZ's way. No other way to explain the Reds paying Dunn's salary after he is gone. The Dbacks get a guy with a terrible batting average and cannot hit with RISP. He can't play defense so I personally don't see him helping a whole hell of a lot. Dunn's mere presence in the lineup will give pitchers something to think about but his 120 strikeouts is a comforting thought for pitchers. Dbacks get two draft picks when Dunn leaves for free agency so that alone is worth it. The Reds are smart to let Dunn go and I think the Reds will get some good pieces with this deal. Time will tell.
    I am speaking from a worst case scenario. I mentioned the cash and the fact that the return should be better by that, but given the Reds and being a pessimist due to non-stop losing, I don't get my hopes high, ever.

Batting average is the end all statistic? I guess it is if you have Corey Patterson like OBP. Dunn is unique, BA doesn't tell the story.

Can't play defense? Most metrics suggest tremendous improvement. He will look terrible in RF where the Diamondbacks will play him. But I seriously suggest you either watch the Reds more often or look at the metrics or realize how important (or not) leftfield defense really is when you have a RC/27 like Dunn does.

Dunn is no doubt glorified by many, myself included, but it really is scary to think how different he would be viewed with few more basehits and a massive decrease in walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    I agree that the Reds made a good move here. They get some talent in return. I see Dunn in the AL next season where he doesn't need to worry about defense.
    Dunn has made it his goal to improve his defense and he has done it. I think he likes playing the field. Give him a year to learn 1stbase and with his wing span, he would be pretty dynamite. Right now in left, he is tolerable when you consider he'll hit 40+ homeruns and with a 100+ runs.

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    Curt Schilling, Dan Haren, Jon Rauch, and now Adam Dunn. I'm ****in tired of loser teams helping the Diamondfags for free.
    Yup.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I just want to clarify, I don't think Dunn is irreplaceable but I don't think the Reds possess the talent in system or through trade with current pieces or the cash necessary to replace his production through free agency.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

BA is not the end all statistic but .230 is awful no matter what his OBP is. His OBP is a little overrated considering he isn't can't run all that well. Sure he's on base but you have to be able to advance. His BA with RISP tells the better story and that is terrible too. His defense has improved but still isn't that good. He can get to the routine plays which I guess is good enough but nothing to brag about. He is much better served as a DH since big guys like him break down a lot easier. If Dunn could get those basehits, of course he would be looked at different but he can't. He can't hit with RISP this year and will either homer, strikeout or walk. If he brought more to the table, the Reds wouldn't have gotten rid of him. The Reds were in last place with him and obviously the Reds didn;t want to re-sign him.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If anyone can get me updated scouting reports, within the last two months of Buck, please contact me. One of two things will change my prospective on this trade, Buck soaring past his non-ranking prospect status to start the season or something pretty great in the PTBNL.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

His numbers look decent since coming back from TJ surgery. Probably have to wait till next year to get a more accurate scouting report of what he can really do.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    BA is not the end all statistic but .230 is awful no matter what his OBP is. His OBP is a little overrated considering he isn't can't run all that well. Sure he's on base but you have to be able to advance. His BA with RISP tells the better story and that is terrible too. His defense has improved but still isn't that good. He can get to the routine plays which I guess is good enough but nothing to brag about. He is much better served as a DH since big guys like him break down a lot easier. If Dunn could get those basehits, of course he would be looked at different but he can't. He can't hit with RISP this year and will either homer, strikeout or walk. If he brought more to the table, the Reds wouldn't have gotten rid of him. The Reds were in last place with him and obviously the Reds didn;t want to re-sign him.
    Honestly, I could counter most of all those points. But the fact is, you see Dunn one way and I see him another.

I watch Dunn in nearly every game, I studied the game itself and stats. It has been many years since the Reds have had such a productive player as Dunn and most in town failed to see that and had hoped to ride him out of town on a rail. Dunn challenged the conventions of the game that production was possible in other ways and eventually he'll land with a team who will stick him in front of a high contact run producer who will capitalize on his assets.

FYI, Dunn at age 27 hit .264 with 40 jacks and a .941 OPS, last season.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I could counter back He still doesn't do much with RISP. FYI, Dunn at age 27 hit .241 with just 7 HRs last year with RISP. I know you like him but the Reds can get a better all around player than Dunn. Reds aren't winning with him that's for sure. He has all those bombs and only three years with 100+RBI. That should tell you something about that "production".

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I never said Mark Reynolds was good so, that comment not phasing.
    Anyone out there want Dunn up in a critical spot?
    Anyone wagering money for Dunn to come up with a big RBI?
    Perhaps a sac fly?

At least the dodgers picked up a guy who can carry his team and strike fear into the best of pitchers. Dunn's not that. And he never will be.
    Ted

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Dunn will drive in a ton of runs. It's just that they will all come against the Dodgers.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

or livan hernandez
    Ted

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12