Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees/Tigers swap Pudge for Farnsworth

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Trade Yankees/Tigers swap Pudge for Farnsworth

I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Re: Yankees/Tigers swap Pudge for Farnsworth

Neither did I but this is pretty sweet.. Its going to be weird seeing him in pinstripes and not Posada. Does this mean the Tigers are giving up though?
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Although I am intrigued about seeing Pudge in pinstripes, I don't like how much the Yankees have given up from their bullpen. Hawkins and Farnsworth are gone. Who is left to setup? Molina is the better defensive catcher than Pudge and it's not like the Yanks needed more offense.

Not that this was a bad move, but I fear the bullpen is getting a bit weak.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Last time Farnsy was a tiger, he was.. actually very good.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

George: Dead or Alive?
    AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Although I am intrigued about seeing Pudge in pinstripes, I don't like how much the Yankees have given up from their bullpen. Hawkins and Farnsworth are gone. Who is left to setup? Molina is the better defensive catcher than Pudge and it's not like the Yanks needed more offense.

Allow me to ease your concerns; we DFA'd Hawkins because he was terrible and hadn't pitched in a game that wasn't a blowout since May. Farnsworth was good this season but he's always one pitch away from disaster. With the rise of Edwar Ramirez and Brian Bruney looming in Scranton...we dealt away from strength and filled a need.
    Save Phil Hughes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Did George Steinbrenner pay off every club in MLB?? Seems like every year the Yankees make terrible decisions but some team always bails them out. The Pirates took very little in quality when trading Nady and Marte and now the Tigers bail them out by giving up a future HOFer. This is just ridiculous!!!

As for the Tigers, they are not giving up. They got a much needed bullpen guy even though it is Farnsworth and according to Buster Olney, Pudge wasn't a happy man. Inge can catch and provide just as much offense so its not a real loss for the Tigers.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post

They did just get Marte, so I imagine either he or Veras (or Edwar?) will set up.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Did George Steinbrenner pay off every club in MLB?? Seems like every year the Yankees make terrible decisions but some team always bails them out. The Pirates took very little in quality when trading Nady and Marte and now the Tigers bail them out by giving up a future HOFer. This is just ridiculous!!!
    How is it ridiculous? Farnsy's been quite good of late, and Pudge isn't the HoF catcher he was in his prime.

And please explain to me the terrible decision of this year you're referring to.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

I don't think this is a big deal, I don't even think Pudge is as good as people think he is. He's got a good average, but even his defensive skills have wained. To me, the Yankees gave up too much for something that (I didn't think) was that big a need. They could traded Farnsworth for more.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

its ridiculous that teams bail out the Yankees all the time. The terrible decision this year? Overpaying for Posada, signing LaTroy Hawkins, not getting enough starting pitching and the whole Joba fiasco. That's just this year. Teams have been bailing them out for a while now. You honestly think the Nady/Marte deal was a good one for the Pirates?

George: Dead or Alive?
    AA ERA

It'd be a good one if Tabata lives up to his talent.

Pudge isn't great anymore, but he has still thrown out 36% of attempted base stealers and hits at a league average clip. League average from your catcher position is an advantage and it's better than the black hole of Fat Jose the Great. Now there is only one automatic out in the Yankee lineup: Melky Cabrera. Luckily Matsui took some swings the other day and reportedly feels swell so maybe the Melkman will have to grab some bench soon.
    Save Phil Hughes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

McCutchen is the only good thing thta came out of it. Tabata is a huge risk has already come close to quitting baseball and is only 19!

Pudge is head and shoulders better than Molina offensively and that's what they want. Plus Pudge has won a ring before(against the Yankees) so he knows what October is all about.

MLB ERA

its ridiculous that teams bail out the Yankees all the time. The terrible decision this year? Overpaying for Posada, signing LaTroy Hawkins, not getting enough starting pitching and the whole Joba fiasco. That's just this year. Teams have been bailing them out for a while now. You honestly think the Nady/Marte deal was a good one for the Pirates?
    Joba FIASCO?? What Joba FIASCO? How can you possibly describe the situation as a fiasco? That one needs explaination.

As far as Posada and Hawkins, yes Hawkins was a mistake. And now he's DFA'd. Posada is a lifetime Yankee, and still a very good player. He deserved almost that much, and I'm sure a bit was saying thank you for being a Yankee.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

That's sweet about Posada but doesn't make it a smart move, especially for three years.

Yes, I call the Joba situation a fiasco!! Would they have not been better off starting him in Spring Training? Maybe if they actually got a starter in the offseason or if they just started Joba when they shoudl have, they would be looking down on the Rays and Sox instead of looking up. It was not handled well either way you look at it.

MLB ERA

Farnsworth will be the closer for the Tigers?
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

McCutchen is the only good thing thta came out of it. Tabata is a huge risk has already come close to quitting baseball and is only 19!

Pudge is head and shoulders better than Molina offensively and that's what they want. Plus Pudge has won a ring before(against the Yankees) so he knows what October is all about.

Umm, I'm pretty sure Jose won a ring too. You may remember, your Giants blew it against the Angels. He may not have been a starter, but he hit .375 in limited playoff experience.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast