Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manny the Dodger

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Dodgers Manny the Dodger

SI.com's Jon Heyman reports that the Dodgers have acquired Manny Ramirez and the Red Sox have gotten Jason Bay in a three-team deal.
    The Pirates will be getting four minor leaguers. Heyman doesn't say whether they're all coming from the Dodgers or if Boston is giving up one or two. If it's all prospects to Pittsburgh, then players like Scott Elbert, James McDonald, Andrew Lambo, Ivan DeJesus Jr. and Austin Gallagher could be involved. The Dodgers might have to Juan Pierre back in center field now, with Ramirez in left and Matt Kemp in right. They've typically used Kemp in center when Andruw Jones has been unavailable, but neither Ramirez nor Pierre makes much sense in right.
    WOW! After all the Pirates, Marlins Saux talk this threw me off big time. Torre managing Manny is a trip man.

MLB ERA

Trade Manny and Bay deal all but official

Multiple sources, including SI.com are confirming the following trade:

Dodgers get:
    Manny Ramirez

Red Sox get:
    Jason Bay

Pirates get from Boston:
    Brandon Moss
    Craig Hanson
    Pirates get from LA:
    Andy LaRoche
    Bryan Morris

This deal makes so much sense for every team. I really like this deal. Manny's going to a team that needs him for a pennant race, Boston gets rid of their troubled outfielder and nabs another one who is signed through next year without all the off-field stuff, and the Pirates get a ton of good prospects, including both Moss and LaRoche. Great deal for everyone in my eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Manny the Dodger

Laroche, Morris, Moss and Hansen is the haul I am hearing for the Pirates.

MLB ERA

i've got all the info on my thread

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Well bring it to my thread, you know the first one

AA ERA

I'm not exactly sure I'm a fan of this deal and believe it or not its not the fact that we dealt Manny. It's because we also had to trade Brandon Moss AND Craig Hansen. Seems like the BoSox got desperate to rid themselves of Manny.

But on the bright side, I do like Jason Bay. He's younger, more affordable, signed through next year, has similar numbers and regardless if he isn't known for his glove, it most definitely should be an improvement over Manny's. Although my other big draw back is missing Manny in the playoffs as well as how good he always did vs. the Yankees.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA

yours was first because you didn't include any opinion like i did

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Pirates made out huge here IMO. Selling Bay off now, before he would be considered a rental player will prove to be a great plan if they had no intention of re-signing him.

I still don't understand how they can make such a nice move to add some serious depth to their team and yet get totally owned on the Nady-Marte deal.

AA ERA

The Pirates made out huge here IMO. Selling Bay off now, before he would be considered a rental player will prove to be a great plan if they had no intention of re-signing him.

I still don't understand how they can make such a nice move to add some serious depth to their team and yet get totally owned on the Nady-Marte deal.
    I believe they received such bad press over it, that the Pirates had to try and over compensate themselves through this deal. They knew Boston was desperate to rid their organization of the Manny circus and also that now that the Dodgers are 1 game over .500 that they felt Manny's bat could help put them over the top in the NL West.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    yours was first because you didn't include any opinion like i did
    I gave some opinion. Just had to make it quick to beat you

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox34 View Post
    I believe they received such bad press over it, that the Pirates had to try and over compensate themselves through this deal. They knew Boston was desperate to rid their organization of the Manny circus and also that now that the Dodgers are 1 game over .500 that they felt Manny's bat could help put them over the top in the NL West.
    You're probably right, I think they knew they couldn't mess up trading the face of the franchise too as the fanbase couldn't have been too happy after that last deal. The Rays talks falling apart could have been the best thing to happen for the Pirates though. I wonder though if those talks collapsing had more to do with the Rays wanting out or the Pirates wanting out (due to a deal like this.)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Dodgers got a great bat and keeps Andruw on the bench for good now. Manny doesn't help anything in the field but I think Torre will do a good job getting Manny out of there in the late innings and double switches.

The Red Sox got a good bat and his production numbers are right up there with Manny's so I don't see the big loss especially with the way Manny has been acting. Red Sox are getting a new start and a player who isn;t a rental. If Bay succeeds in Boston, he will likely be re-signed after 2009.

The Pirates got a lot of young talent and more than made up for the Nady/Marte deal. Great job for the Pirates not to get screwed again especially by a good GM like Theo.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I would have loved to have Jason Bay instead, but I suppose that the Sox wanted Bay more since they gave up the most in this deal: Manny, Craig Hansen, Brandon Moss, and $7 million dollars to cover Manny's salary.

If Manny doesn't pan out for us, we'll just get the 2 high draft picks in return to replace Andy LaBust and Bryan Morris.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Good point mofo! I think Manny is pissed off and wants nothing more than a Dodgers/Red Sox matchup in the World Series. Manny is on a mission and with Torre calling the shots, I think the Dodgers can take the West which I predicted before the season

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It's a bummer that Manny won't be available to face Brandon Webb today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast