Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye Bye Manny?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Bye Bye Manny?

I think Manny could definitely be traded and he said today he would waive his no-trade rights. NY won't give him the money he's making now either. Not the Mets or the Yanks.

MLB ERA

Sounds unlikely he will even be traded at this point. But he won't be back in Boston next year either from what I hear.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I knew he wouldn't be back next year nor should he.

AAA ERA

I'll believe it when I see it. We have been hearing this stuff for years and every time it happens Manny gets hot and it's forgotten about.

MLB ERA

The difference is he is only locked up for this year. So many experts are saying that he will be available for the right price. While I don't think he's going anywhere, I'm not so sure we should doubt it. Everyone is saying it's more serious than ever before. Plus, his high contract may allow him to clear waivers. At least according to one NL source quo0ted by Joel Sherman. So, who knows?

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I knew he wouldn't be back next year nor should he.
    I don't understand this. Why would Boston not want arguably their best hitter or the face of the franchise back? And why don't you think he should be? I guess it's just hard for me to picture Manny in anything but a Boston uni.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

They wouldn't want him back because they've finally gone past the breaking point. If you've heard Manny's quotes, he even said "they're tired of me and I'm tired of them." It's clear that neither party wants anything to do with the other. The Sox don't want his controversy. He shouldn't be stuck playing for a team that doesn't want him, especially when he doesn't wanna be there either. Make sense now?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    I don't understand this. Why would Boston not want arguably their best hitter or the face of the franchise back? And why don't you think he should be? I guess it's just hard for me to picture Manny in anything but a Boston uni.
    $20 million dollars for a guy who isn't getting any better is a steep price to pay. That plus both sides hate each other. Manny is becoming DH material with each passing day and no one should pay him that much for his declining production. I'm sure the Red Sox can find someone else to hit 30 HRs, dribe in 100+ runs, talk on a cellphone during the game, puch down a 63 yr old man and sucker punch teammates for a lot less than $20 million per.

MLB ERA

$20 million dollars for a guy who isn't getting any better is a steep price to pay.
    no one should pay him that much for his declining production.
    ok, first of all, saying he's not getting better doesn't say anything. A-Rod isn't getting "better," but he's already at the top of his game, so they pay him.

second of all, his production is not declining. yes, he's not going to drive in 144 runs again or 45 home runs. But everyone has 1 or 2 career years, and just because he doesn't reach those again doesn't really mean his production is declining. He's got 19 homers this season and 66 RBI's. He's one homer short of tying last year's, and 22 RBI's from tying last years'. He is putting up very consistent numbers. I'd pay $20 mil for Manny in a heartbeat. You know exactly what you're getting. Consistency, and a little nincompoopery in the clubhouse. Big deal. So he talks on his cell during a pitching change. Sometimes you have to put up with a little nonsense for a great, clutch player like him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

First of all, never compare the 32 yr old to the 37 yr old. He's declining and there's no circling around that.

Second of all, you would pay $20 million but someone smart like Theo isn't going to and doesn't have to. Manny put up more than 1 or 2 years. He will be 37 next year and who needs a DH playing LF anyway? He's not the 30 HR/100 RBI guy so why pay like he is. Some of you keep living in the past instead of looking ahead. The Red Sox can go out and get Matt Holliday if they chose to and pay him less than what Manny is making and getting a more complete player in the process. Moving forward is what the Red Sox will do and let some other sucker pay Manny his $18 million and if it were up to you, the Yankees would be that sucker.

MLB ERA

wow. you really got personal there.....

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No, just saying how I feel. I had to go through this shit with the Barry's when the Giants outbid themselves for Zito and Bonds. Its not smart to pay these guys the money they made.

MLB ERA

I don't buy that Reefer. They'll have to pay just as much for Holliday as they did for Manny. And Holliday is just as awful in the field. Yeah, he's younger, but I don't think Holliday is as much better as you think. Especially if you look at Holliday's splits and see that he's just a career .278, 39 HR, 161 RBI....and .365, 81, 294 at home. Holliday is NOT as good as everyone thinks. I'd love to acquire him, but he's not the MVP candidate that people seem to believe.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Well, he shoulda won the MVP last year
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

But if he had played anywhere but Colorado, he wouldn't have been in the picture, because he would have hit .280 with 20 HR and 85 RBI...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast