Thread: Rays Like Fuentes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rays Rays Like Fuentes

Tampa Bay's interest in left-handed reliever Brian Fuentes picked up in light of Rays closer Troy Percival returning to the disabled list after aggravating the left hamstring that originally forced him to the disabled list. The Rays are looking for a left-hander to work late innings and to provide late-inning protection for Percival in their bid to claim a postseason bid for the first time. Al Reyes, Tampa Bay's other experienced closer, has been out since June 9 with left elbow tendinitis.
    Rays could definitely use Fuentes but will have to fight for him, something the Rays aren't used to. Never have the Rays been in this situation of bidding on a guy to help propel them to the playoffs. Yankees and Phillies are also interested in Fuentes. Rays are also rumored to be looking at Sabathia but don't see them breaking up a young core to do it. Rays need to focus on Fuentes since Percival will be out for a long time.

MLB ERA

Re: Rays Like Fuentes

I wouldn't overpay for fuentes, it seems like as soon as their is some pressure he chokes, if I were TB i'd be looking to the availability of Eric Bedard, cause that would make their rotation almost unbeatable and they'd have him for next season too
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Rays could definitely use Fuentes but will have to fight for him, something the Rays aren't used to. Never have the Rays been in this situation of bidding on a guy to help propel them to the playoffs. Yankees and Phillies are also interested in Fuentes. Rays are also rumored to be looking at Sabathia but don't see them breaking up a young core to do it. Rays need to focus on Fuentes since Percival will be out for a long time.
    everyone and their mother is interested in Fuentes
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Closed
    AAA ERA

What is wrong with Balfouer to fill in. He is doing a great job right now.

MLB ERA

I don't think he's the closer for a WS contending team
    MSLSeattle0001

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    I wouldn't overpay for fuentes, it seems like as soon as their is some pressure he chokes, if I were TB i'd be looking to the availability of Eric Bedard, cause that would make their rotation almost unbeatable and they'd have him for next season too
    The rotation is no concern plus they would have to give a lot more for Bedard than Fuentes.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to the Denver Post, the Rays are prepared to make an offer for reliever Brian Fuentes.
    The Rays have reportedly had scouts at Coors Field all weekend. Rays prospects Wade Davis and Jeremy Hellickson are mentioned in the article as possible trade bait.
    Good for the Rays! Getting him means the Saux and Yankees can't which helps everyone.

MLB ERA

I'd rather pay for a proven SP that i'd have for a year and a half, then fuentes who lost the closer job last year due to poor performance when their was pressure on him. Fuentes just seems like a bust waiting to happen. I hope my Red Sox don't get him
    MSLSeattle0001

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Your not paying for anything and again, the Rays don't need starting pitching. They have Kazmir, Shields, Garza, Sonnastine and Price coming up later in the year. They have holes in their bullpen now that Percival went down. Fuentes is a nice lefty, veteran reliever.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Your not paying for anything and again, the Rays don't need starting pitching. They have Kazmir, Shields, Garza, Sonnastine and Price coming up later in the year. They have holes in their bullpen now that Percival went down. Fuentes is a nice lefty, veteran reliever.
    Garza had an era over 4.5 after the break last year, sonnastine had an era of over 6.30 after the break last year, and I wouldn't want a guy who started at Low A ball pitching in a game in September that has significant meaning. Why not go get a guy thats going to pitch over 100 innings for your club instead of the guy pitching maybe 30-40 innings. And before you say fuentes is a solid reliever, you gotta remember its a lot easier pitching in a city where no one cares (Read Jeff Weaver Det-> NYY, Jose Contreras Cuba-> NYY etc.) than in a city where fans are just starting to come out and care. If your going to pay, pay for the A level talent and not the B level talent.

Fuentes in 2007 as closer (good team): ERA over 4.5
    Fuentes in 2006 as closer (bad team): ERA under 3.5

Granted Fuentes got pulled as the closer late in the 1st half and pitched better as a MR in the 2nd half but again MR's don't have the pressure that closers do.

Fuentes could be fine in Tampa, but to trade hellickson and davis thats a pretty steep price
    MSLSeattle0001

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You're talking about the past man! This is 2008. Last year the Rays were in last place, this year is a totally different story. You're talking about getting Bedard who can't stay healthy and can't even throw 100 pitches. The Rays rotation is set. That guy who started the year in A ball was the number one pick in the draft and is dominating everywhere he goes. Yes you want a guy like him starting games in September. Guys haven't seen him and don't have a book on him. Inexperienced pitchers help lead teams into the playoffs all the time. Nolan Ryan, Josh Beckett, Andy Pettite and the list goes on and on. The Rays don't have to worry about the fans being an issue. They do not need a starter. They need help in the bullpen and Fuentes is the man to get. Yes he was demoted to setup man...LAST YEAR!!. What happened this year? Oh yeah, he got his job back. Percival is down and bringing in another veteran reliever will plug this hole. Fuentes is an A level reliever on the trade market, Bedard is a B and falling. If they traded for Bedard, it would be the dumbest move they can make. It takes more peices to get Bedard than Fuentes.