Thread: Tigers trade Ugueth Urbina and Ramon Martinez to the Phillies for Placido Polanco

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Tigers trade Ugueth Urbina and Ramon Martinez to the Phillies for Placido Polanco

The Phillies traded infielder Placido Polanco to the Tigers on Wednesday for relief pitcher Ugueth Urbina and infielder Ramon Martinez.

AA ERA
    Should help the Philies. Definetly can spare some offense . Ramon ain't bad either. Was solid last year with Cubs.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Great move for both teams. The Phillies show that they mean business and go out and get someone to help Madson setting up Wagner. This also gives them a closer if Wagner goes down again. Chase Utley will get more playing time which Ilike very much. For the Phillies, this gives someone who can produce out of the second base position. Infante is hitting a lousy .215 with a .259 OBP. Polanco is hitting .316 with a .376 OBP. This is not a hard one to figure out. Tigers are only two games under .500.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I disagree with this being a good move for the Phillies.

They just traded their best third baseman, despite him not starting there every day. Urbina isn't going to be much better than Madson was in the 8th inning role, and Martinez is overpaid and undertalented.

The Tigers won this deal, pretty clearly.

MLB ERA
    Witlon's right.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Phils got robbed. There's a reason why Urbina wound up in Detroit: because he SUCKS.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Rookie ERA
    I was kinda disappointed that Placido left. He's been hot lately. Ever since the regular season started, I was hoping that Phillies would trade Devid Bell, put Chase Utley to 2nd, and Placida Palanco to 3rd. But it didn't happen. Nevertheless, Phillies needed bullpen improvement. So I like the move.

I'm never a big fan of giving up a guy who can play multiple infield positions with hitting ability for a relief pitcher who is not completely reliable (although Urbina is good). It'll be interesting to see, I can see why the Phils made it. Although I do not like it for them, getting Urbina can help in the set-up role.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Urbina>Worrell. Phillies bullpen ERA is over 5 and Urbina has not given up a run in his last 10 outings. Not to mention 9 saves.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Polanco was the Phils 2nd hottest hitter (Lofton is hotter). Urbina was having a great season for the Tigers and you going to replace that with Troy Percival who was struggling before he got hurt? I think its pretty bad for the Tigers. NOT the Phillies. Urbina isnt different from Madson.

Madson > Urbina
    Urbina > Percival
    Polanco > Infante
    Martinez was a throw in.

I dont think this deal made sense for the Tigers. Why deal a guy that had these numbers.

Code:
    G 	GS 	W 	L 	SV 	CG 	SHO 	IP 	H 	R 	ER 	HR 	BB 	K 	ERA 	WHIP 	BAA  	 
    25 	0 	1 	3 	9 	0 	0 	27.1 	21 	9 	8 	4 	14 	31 	2.63 	1.28 	.208
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

AA ERA
    I don't think much of that trade for either teams.

The only thing good that comes out of that trade is that the Phillies found playing time with Chase Utley. Urbina is more of an insurance.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Steve Phillips said it best on Baseball Tonight. The Phillies made a great move just for the fact that they made it impossible for the other teams in that division to acquire Urbina. The rest of the East has trouble in the bullpen era. Phillies are doing pretty well and Polanco will do some good for the Tigers as well.