Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Santana Trade Talks

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Santana Trade Talks

According to the New York Daily News, there's "speculation in MLB circles" that the Mets are considering parting with Jose Reyes in a potential trade for Johan Santana.
    Minnesota traded away its starting shortstop Wednesday, sending Jason Bartlett to Tampa Bay. However, previous reports have suggested that the Mets aren't willing to trade Reyes, David Wright or Carlos Beltran. If a deal for Santana can't be worked out, the newspaper speculates that the Mets will pursue Erik Bedard, Dan Haren or Dontrelle Willis.
    I don't see the O's getting rid of Bedard any time soon unless they are just blown away. Same goes for Haren. Willis can be had for less than Reyes, much less. I don't think the Mets need Santana so desperately that they have to give up Reyes. Mets already have Pedro, Maine, Hernandez, Perez and Pelfrey slated to be in the rotation as of right now. Perez and Pelfrey would be good trade bait.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

A little birdie says the Boston Red Sox have become the favorite in the Johan Santana trade sweepstakes. The Twins would receive four players for the Twins' two-time Cy Young Award winner, including center fielder Coco Crisp, 28. Others would be shortstop prospect Jed Lowry, 23; left-handed pitcher Jon Lester, 23; and right-handed pitcher Justin Masterson, 22. Before a deal could be made, the Red Sox would have to have time to negotiate a contract extension with Santana, 28, who can become a free agent after next season and could have a market value as high as $150 million over six years.
    This sounds close to a good deal for both sides. Its the fairest deal I have seen considering what holes need to be filled and where. The Twins acquisition of Young and losing Garza has changed everything.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I would not mind the deal. Although Hughes to be would be better than Lester. But I would rather see any team but the Yankees get Santana!
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

AA ERA

I just read this same information from another website and I agree with you reefer in regards to be a fair deal for the most part on both sides. If the Red Sox can agree to a contract extension with Johan, I hate some of the young talent we have to give up but the fact if we manage to keep Buccholz and Ellsbury and still manage to acquire an elite SP, I say Epstein has done a wonderful job.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA

Re: Yanks/Twins Discuss Santana

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83 View Post
    I still dont believe in trading the best pitcher in the game in his prime.
    I don't think the Padres should trade Jake Peavy either.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

If the Red Sox pull off a deal for Johan Santana, while not giving up 2/3 of Lester/Buchholz/Ellsbury, and with COCO ****ING CRISP! as one of the centerpieces of the deal...I will hate baseball
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Well there is NO need for Crisp! Ellsbury - Lester is the key pieces I would want as the Twins gm. All though Ellsbury and Lester is not enough, Crisp needs to stay in Boston. A third baseman is the key to any deal involving Santana.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Coco Crisp's trade value was at its highest when he was traded for Andy Marte, and Andy Marte isn't worth giving up Johan Santana. Neither is Coco Crisp.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by mntwinsfan View Post
    Well there is NO need for Crisp! Ellsbury - Lester is the key pieces I would want as the Twins gm. All though Ellsbury and Lester is not enough, Crisp needs to stay in Boston. A third baseman is the key to any deal involving Santana.
    How can you say they don't need Crisp? Who is the Twins current CFer? Exactly, no one! The Twins need a CFer, a 3B and more pitching. Twins would get two of those in this deal.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Twins need a CFer, but it'd be a joke if the CFer they're getting is Crisp instead of Ellsbury, especially when Santana is the trade bait.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Crisp isn't the center piece of this deal, Lester is. Crisp is a great defensive OFer with speed and fills the CF hole. They also get a possible SS for the future and another pitcher. The Red Sox would be dumb to give up Ellsbury for Santana. Is Cabrera a better option than Crisp? Of course but are the Yankees willing to give Cabrera, Hughes and two other players? Probably not but could just to keep him away from Boston.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If the Twins want to replace Hunter with a great defensive OFer with mediocre hitting, they can just put Jason Tyner in CF. Tyner's throwing strength is probably the same as Crisp's, if not better.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Twins have already replaced Hunter's offense by getting Young. Crisp would replace his glove and speed. Tyner's range is horrible compared to Crisp's.

MLB ERA

go ahead, bankrupt all of your farm systems for Santana, while my Mets spend less to get either Dan Haren or Joe Blanton....everybody wins, right?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I don't think Billy Beane likes Milledge anymore though...to get one of those two guys, enjoy giving up Fernando Martinez or Carlos Gomez.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast