Thread: FoxSports.com: Mets acquring Castillo?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

FoxSports.com: Mets acquring Castillo?

The Mets are close to acquiring Luis Castillo from the Twins for two minor leaguers, sources told FOXSports.com.

No word on the players going the other way, but Mike Pelfrey, Lastings Milledge, Carlos Gomez and Fernando Martinez can be ruled out. We also doubt Philip Humber or Deolis Guerra is involved. That would leave 2006 second-rounder Kevin Mulvey, left-hander Jason Vargas and first baseman Mike Carp as possibilities. The Twins could go with Nick Punto at second base, with Brian Buscher acting as the full-time third baseman, or call up Alexi Casilla to take over the position. Jul. 30 - 3:24 pm et
    Small downgrade at second for the Twins, while moving a contract. Seems like a good fit for both teams, if it comes out. Hard to believe that this is the counter move to the Braves additions, though.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: FoxSports.com: Mets acquring Castillo?

Twins are just getting ready for next season when Liriano gets back. I don't hate this move if the spects are good in return.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the Twins could be receiving catcher Drew Butera and outfielder Dustin Martin from the Mets in the Luis Castillo trade.

That's it? The draft picks Castillo would have brought are far more valuable that those two. The Twins can't really be this cheap, can they? Butera, 23, has hit .231/.297/.344 between Single-A St. Lucie and Double-A Binghamton this year. Martin, also 23, was hitting .287/.358/.421 for St. Lucie. Neither player projects as a major leaguer.

Aaand, that makes it a good move for the Mets. Looks strictly like a salary dump, to me.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

if this is true Ryan needs to be fired and Polad needs to be shot. The value for Castillo should be greater than this. Where is the power hitter we desperately need? Yes it is a salary dump without question. Maybe they will use the money to sign Hunter?
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

There may be a secondary move to follow(Wily Mo Pena?), they could be just clearing out some salary to make another move, or clearing to reup Hunter makes sense too. Lots of ways to go with this.

Bench Warmer
    Rookie ERA

Wow, what the heck is Ryan thinking if it ever happen. I know he can do much better than that. Castillo provides you some infield hits along with Reyes and is a better defender at 2nd. That should not be enough although it seems to be a salary dump. Twins' season is done if he's traded, end of the discussion.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I am going to wait on this one because it is clearly a salary dump for something worth a damn. I think Hunter is gone regardless because they will need that money to resign the best pitcher in baseball after the '08 season. A good DH might be coming to Minnesota.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: FoxSports.com: Mets acquring Castillo?

Nice 1-2 punch at the top of the Mets lineup.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I'm not so sure I get this trade for either team.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.