Thread: Jorge Julio traded...again

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Jorge Julio traded...again

Rockies trade Kim to Florida for Julio

By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer
    May 13, 2007

DENVER (AP) -- Realizing they couldn't solve their pitching problems, the Colorado Rockies and Florida Marlins settled for swapping them Sunday.

The Rockies sent Byung-Hyun Kim to Florida for fellow righty Jorge Julio.

"It's a trade of one guy struggling for another guy struggling," Rockies general manager Dan O'Dowd said. "There are not a lot of players available in the game right now. We got a guy with a track record of doing all right."

Kim went 1-2 with a 10.50 ERA in three relief appearances after losing his starting job in spring training, then went on the disabled list with a bruised right thumb on April 16. Although he was 1-1 with a 2.96 ERA in 24 1-3 innings at Triple-A Colorado Springs in five rehab starts, the Rockies had no room for him in their rotation or bullpen.

"We are taking a shot on a guy that threw very well last year for a guy that won't be back," O'Dowd said. "Kim was not going to come back."

Kim has a 45-52 record in 369 career major league games, including 65 starts, with Arizona, Boston and Colorado.

Julio is 13-30 with a 4.41 ERA over 353 games, including 126 starts for Baltimore, the Mets, Arizona and Florida.

"We're trying to get some experience in our bullpen," O'Dowd said. "We should get Ramon Ramirez back this week and LaTroy Hawkins. Julio needs to be fixed. So we have some work with him. But last year he pitched very well for two different teams. He saved 16-of-20 games. He pitched 66 innings. Walks and home runs are an issue, but durability and strikeouts aren't."

Julio allowed a game-ending grand slam to Ryan Zimmerman on Saturday night.

"I wish we would've fixed him," Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "I wish we would've got him to help us."

The Marlins had hoped Julio would be the same pitcher who saved 16 of 20 games for the Mets and Diamondbacks last season, but he was 0-2 with a 12.54 ERA in 10 relief appearances and spent time on the DL with a strained right calf.

"He had been an established closer with 99 career saves," Marlins assistant general manager Michael Hill said. "We brought him in to be that guy, but unfortunately it didn't work out. He had the injury and went on the disabled list. We've had our issues with our rotation and B-K Kim is a versatile pitcher. We've always liked him and we think he will help our staff."

Julio sounded as though he welcomed the change to Colorado.

"I'm fine, man," he said. "I know this game. I know baseball. It's working."

"He's not on top of his game right now but we wouldn't have gotten him if he was," Colorado manager Clint Hurdle said.

The Rockies optioned right-handers Alberto Arias and Denny Bautista to Triple-A Colorado Springs to make room for Julio and right-hander Ramon Ramirez, who has been on the 15-day DL with an injured elbow.

AP Sports Writer Joseph White in Washington, D.C. contributed to this report.
    Link

MLB ERA

Re: Jorge Julio traded...again

Ugh,

I just picked up Julio after Owens went on the DL. (Closer pickings were slim.)

Who's the Marlins closer now? Pinto? Gregg? Tankersley?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000