Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who likes the Helton Deal?

Who likes the Helton Deal?

I would strongly decline the trade if I was Theo. Here's Helton's stat on Coors and on Away Stadiums

Coors .345/.458/.572, GPA .379

On Away Stadiums...

.276/.389/.436, GPA .284

But there's the fact that he's a lefty so, he could do well in Fenway.. what do you guys think?

It depends on how much money the Red Sox will be able to get from the Rockies. I dont see Helton getting traded any time soon. He's owed too much money...but thats what everyone said about Arod. Helton obviously wont be as good of a hitter away from Coors...but maybe he needs a change of scenery and a pennant race to light a fire under him. It was only a couple years ago when Helton was mashing the hell out of the ball...and he's only 33. I cant imagine that he's on that bad of a decline at such a young age.

It also makes you wonder what the Rockies were thinking when they dealt Ryan Shealy away to the Royals when they're just going to turn around and trade Helton. Dan O'Dowd has been overdue for a pink slip for quite some time now

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Helton's career average away from Coors is .294.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Helton's career average away from Coors is .294.
    Career AVG doesn't mean anything. The Last 2 year average will show how he will do this year.. If I'm not mistaken you are thinking what I posted up there is his career stat?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Career average doesn't mean anything? Are you ****ing kidding me? Last year Helton wasn't healthy so going by last season means dick. Career average is more telling of what he can do. And yes of course I thought you were talking career numbers since you in no way told what those stats are.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    More importantly, what's his track record at Fenway? I don't think him hitting .270 something last season has much bearing on what he could do at Fenway. If Lowell can have some sort of a career resurgence at Fenway, Helton should do real fine.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Career average doesn't mean anything? Are you ****ing kidding me? Last year Helton wasn't healthy so going by last season means dick. Career average is more telling of what he can do. And yes of course I thought you were talking career numbers since you in no way told what those stats are.
    Well, you know what. To my point of view, Career stat contains all the stats from his primes, when he was young and talented. But the last 2 year stat has the latest stats that is more accurate when predicting how he'll do this year.

and my bad I didn't put up there that it's the last 2 year stats.

MLB ERA
    I see where you are coming from but I prefer career stats only because each year can differ from just a little to a whole lot. Take for example Chipper Jones in '07 just blows, .250 avg but in '08 he just rips the ball and has an avg of .330 with 30+ HRs. Anything can happen inbetween seasons that its not really accurate. In some cases it might but it's not 100%.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

If this deal actually goes down, I like it. Helton gets a fresh start in a ballpark ideal for him. The Red Sox can move Youkilis back to 3B. I will admit that I am struggling why the Rockies would want to take Lowell, unless that is the best offer they can get for Helton?

MLB ERA
    Ideal? Sorry dude, it's next to impossible to jack the ball out in RF, unless you smash it.

He's not really an opposite field masher, like Papi can be, so don't expect a resurgence.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Again people lets not forget that there is more to hitting than just hitting homeruns. Helton is not going to need to hit in the middle of this order, plus he will still produce 70-90 RBI's, and that sounds great for a #6, #7, or #8 hitter in the line-up. The Sox need a true 1Bman. He will play good defense. And that is what the Sox need to help out the pitching!!

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19
    Again people lets not forget that there is more to hitting than just hitting homeruns. Helton is not going to need to hit in the middle of this order, plus he will still produce 70-90 RBI's, and that sounds great for a #6, #7, or #8 hitter in the line-up. The Sox need a true 1Bman. He will play good defense. And that is what the Sox need to help out the pitching!!
    ... Why not Youk? He's a good fielder.

anyways, the reason we want him to hit a lot of homeruns is because he has a humongous contract and there's 3 years left in it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313
    Ideal? Sorry dude, it's next to impossible to jack the ball out in RF, unless you smash it.

He's not really an opposite field masher, like Papi can be, so don't expect a resurgence.
    Next to impossible to jack it out of right field in Boston? Is that some kind of joke? And Helton hits linedrives to all parts of the field. If he were to get in that Boston lineup, yes there would be one hell of an improvement in Helton's power numbers.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by MLBaddict
    Well, you know what. To my point of view, Career stat contains all the stats from his primes, when he was young and talented. But the last 2 year stat has the latest stats that is more accurate when predicting how he'll do this year.

and my bad I didn't put up there that it's the last 2 year stats.
    Again, you can't go trying to predict how well he will do basing it on the past two seasons where he has battled injuries and illness. The man still drives in runs, hits for average and gets on base not to mention plays GG defense. Career statsshow what he can do when healthy.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Next to impossible to jack it out of right field in Boston? Is that some kind of joke? And Helton hits linedrives to all parts of the field. If he were to get in that Boston lineup, yes there would be one hell of an improvement in Helton's power numbers.
    The funny thing is people will call the Rockies idiots if his numbers go up. Meanwhile look at the "protection" he has in Colorado's lineup as compared to Boston's. I don't know how much I like this from a Red Sock standpoint though. Just look a couple years down the line when he's hitting .270 and being paid $19.1 million which kicks in the 2nd-to-last year of his contract. It's too much of a salary disparity between him and Lowell for guys whose numbers last year weren't dramatically different. Plus the defensive factor certainly comes into play.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast