Thread: Rumor: Mulder reportedly close to re-upping with the Cardinals

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Rumor: Mulder reportedly close to re-upping with the Cardinals

No details on the financials (at least from Rotoworld.com)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotoworld.com
    A source told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Bernie Miklasz that Mark Mulder has decided to re-sign with the Cardinals.
    ESPN is confirming that he'll stay in St. Louis on a two-year deal. We're not very optimistic about Mulder regaining top-of-the-rotation status, especially during 2007. It's going to take more than just a healthier shoulder to get him back to where he used to be. Maybe he'll be worth his salary come 2008, but it'd be a surprise if he won more than six or seven games for the Cardinals this year.
    Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    And we have financial liftoff courtesy of Peter Gammons:

Quote Originally Posted by Rotoworld.com
    According to ESPN's Peter Gammons, Mark Mulder will be guaranteed $13 million by the Cardinals over the next two years.
    Gammons also reports that if he makes 30 starts in 2007 and 2008, incentives can make the deal worth three years and $45 million. However, there's almost no way he's starting 30 games this season. He's hoping to return in May or June, but both the Indians and Rangers seemed to be thinking July.
    Good move for the Cardinals, paying a pitcher that much who is LIKELY at best to be just a shell of his former self and will probably see a lot of missed starts through out the '07 campaign.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Cards just killed us. Nice signing, looks like they are serious about defending their title now.

I honestly believe that Mulder will bounce back in a big way. He will be an impact arm for the Cards as they contend this season.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Cards just killed us. Nice signing, looks like they are serious about defending their title now.

I honestly believe that Mulder will bounce back in a big way. He will be an impact arm for the Cards as they contend this season.
    I certainly agree that there is chance that Mulder could bouce back and be what he used to be, but at the least I believe he will still be a productive #3 starter at the least.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    I think he will bounce back and do just fine in St. Louis! I also think he will relax and feel more comfortable in St. Louis! If he stays healthy, look for 15+ wins from him.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Kinda like what they did with Carpenter a couple of years ago, pay him knowing he'll likely not used or be that effective his first year of the deal and then maybe BLAM.

That or he pulls a Rick Ankiel.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    you are correct Kingdom

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Smart move by the Cards and by Mulder for sticking with a NL team who get in the playoffs consistently. Mulder when ready could join a rotation of Carpenter, Reyes, Wells and Wainwright. Weaver could be signed leaving Wainwright in the pen but I think leaving him there is a bad move unless Izzy never returns to form.

MLB ERA
    I hope Mark stays healthy and good for him and the Cards.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    I think he will.. I firmly believe he wants to prove himself in St. Louis. IMO, I think he has let them down overall and the Cards have NOT seen his best pitching yet. I predict big things for Mark this year, except against the Brewers of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!