Thread: Huff to Baltimore?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Huff to Baltimore?

According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Orioles and Aubrey Huff are close to an agreement on a three-year deal worth more than $18 million.
    The report says Huff will get most of his playing time in left field, which means he'd take away more at-bats from Jay Payton than from Kevin Millar. That's going to downgrade the defense quite a bit, and there's no guarantee Millar will be much better of a hitter than Payton. Still, regardless of where he plays, Huff will improve the offense. Against righties, the O's could go with a lineup of: 2B Brian Roberts, 3B Melvin Mora, RF Nick Markakis, SS Miguel Tejada, LF Huff, C Ramon Hernandez, DH Jay Gibbons, 1B Millar and CF Corey Patterson. Payton will probably start over Patterson against lefties. Craig Wilson would still be mighty useful as a platoon partner for Huff.
    I think its dumb to have Millar playing over Huff, real dumb. Huff will help put runs on the board so its good for the O's.

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA
    It is very dumb to have Millar starting at 1B!

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I didn't Payton signed there to be a platoon player...

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    I didn't Payton signed there to be a platoon player...
    For a nice little chunk of change although I can't remember the exact amount.

The Orioles reached an agreement early this morning on a three-year contract with free agent Aubrey Huff, several industry sources confirmed today.

Huff, a 30-year-old slugger who can play first and third base and both corner outfield spots, is expected to take a physical in Baltimore next week.

"All that is left is a physical and dotting the I's and crossing the T's," one source familiar with the negotiations said.

If Huff passes the physical, the deal, which will pay Huff $20 million over three seasons according to an industry source, will become official.

Huff hit .267 last season with 21 home runs and 66 RBIs playing for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays and Houston Astros, who acquired him in a trade July 13. It was the first season since 2002 in which Huff didn't drive in at least 90 runs.

When the deal becomes official, Huff is expected to fill a variety of positions for the Orioles, who have long coveted the left-handed hitter's offensive ability. Huff likely will be used at first and third base, in left field and at designated hitter.

The Orioles searched long and hard for an impact hitter this offseason, failing to land free-agent slugger Carlos Lee or complete a trade for Atlanta Braves first baseman Adam LaRoche. Club officials know how dangerous Huff can be because he has more home runs and RBIs against the Orioles than any other team.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...ports-baseball
    Huff is a great signing, and definately below what the market was paying. He is a legit power threat, and someone who has always succeeded playing against the Orioles, and in Camden Yards. He holds a career .285 average at Camden Yards, and he has a short left-field porch to hit off of.

Huff will primarily start in left-field, but could find himself spelling Kevin Millar at first, and Melvin Mora at third, once every week or so. His ability to play so many positions, and play them well, is needed on the Orioles, who will be shifting players around a few times.

All in all, a good signing, and an affordable one for this off-season. I believe, with Huff locked up, the Orioles have had arguably the best off-season, and are sitting pretty for the 2007 season. It will certainly be a competitive year to come in the AL East.

MLB ERA
    I don't know that the Orioles will contend next season, but I agree they have been active this off-season. The AL East is a stronger division now than it has been for quite a while.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon