Thread: Braves Non-Tendered Lil' Giles

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Braves Non-Tendered Lil' Giles

Quote Originally Posted by Rotoworld.com
    Braves non-tendered second baseman Marcus Giles.
    We still think it's the wrong move for Atlanta, but GM John Schuerholz believed cutting Giles was the best way for him to get under budget. If the Braves fail to find a replacement, then Willy Aybar, Martin Prado, Kelly Johnson and Pete Orr will battle for playing time in spring training. They may trade for Jose Castillo or sign Mark Loretta or Ronnie Belliard to a cheap deal. Giles would likely prefer to join the Padres and play with his brother, though Petco Park is the worst possible place for him to try to rebuild his value. Other candidates to show some interest include the Mets, Red Sox and Blue Jays.
    ESPN broke the news and here's Rotoworld confirmation. I don't get this move at all.

Yeah, I'm pissed, but we had to get under budget.

Too bad we couldn't get anything for him.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

AA ERA
    I find it hard to believe that the Braves couldn't get ANYTHING in return for him.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    I am a little out of sorts on this one. More than normal too! What exactly does this mean, he is a free agent? If so, can't Atlanta re-sign for less money then if San Diego and big Bro don't sign him first. Is San Diego M. Giles first choice and they knew that and didn't offer much up in a trade? Please enlighten me people!

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I know the A's wanted him before and the Braves refused to trade him...I believe that was when the Braves traded for Hudson.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19
    I am a little out of sorts on this one. More than normal too! What exactly does this mean, he is a free agent? If so, can't Atlanta re-sign for less money then if San Diego and big Bro don't sign him first. Is San Diego M. Giles first choice and they knew that and didn't offer much up in a trade? Please enlighten me people!
    Giles is now a free agent and can receive offers from any MLB team.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    That is what I thought. I wonder how much he will end up with and where? Sounds like San Diego is the leading canidates for his services. If he signs elsewhere as a FA, does that mean Atlanta gets that teams 1st round draft pick?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19
    That is what I thought. I wonder how much he will end up with and where? Sounds like San Diego is the leading canidates for his services. If he signs elsewhere as a FA, does that mean Atlanta gets that teams 1st round draft pick?
    I wouldn't think so...he wasn't a FA, they cut him.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Oh ok. I understand, alot of these terms now-a-days are sure hard to keep up with. Thanks!

MLB ERA
    yea...and he wasn't offered arbitration. For example, the A's will receive pick(s) for Zito because they offered him arbitration, but not for Payton because they didn't offer it to him.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I knew that about FA's offered arbitration, just get confused at times with all that goes on with these pro teams and their $$$$ issues all the time! Thanks!