Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braves interested in Baldelli

MLB ERA

Braves interested in Baldelli

ATLANTA -- While confirming the club's interest in obtaining Rocco Baldelli from the Devil Rays, a Braves source has provided indication that they are willing to provide some top prospects to complete this transaction.

During this week's Winter Meetings at Walt Disney World's Swan and Dolphin Resort, the Devil Rays are believed to have asked that left-handed starter Chuck James be included in the potential deal. But the Braves are very reluctant to trade the 25-year-old southpaw, who is coming off an 11-win rookie season.

The Braves want Baldelli, a 25-year-old outfielder, to serve as their leadoff hitter and starting left fielder this year. If Andruw Jones were to exit via free agency at the end of the 2007 season, Baldelli would become the club's center fielder of the future.
    atlantabraves.com
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Nice player to put in LF and play good defense and steal some bases. Maybe even add a little pop inthe lineup, could even be their lead-off hitter. I like that signing on the basis he is healthy and can stay that way, that is the big question mark.

AA ERA
    Not to mention that it will be good security for when Andruw Jones is either traded or exits via Free Agency. Not the same caliber player, but would fit nicely in the Braves OF.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

True, very true, BoSox34!! I personally don't think Jones is going anywhere though. Unless, the Braves get an offer they can't refuse.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19
    True, very true, BoSox34!! I personally don't think Jones is going anywhere though. Unless, the Braves get an offer they can't refuse.
    I believe he will be before the trade deadline, depending on whether or not the Braves are contending in the NL East. But, I have read several articles where Boras, Jones' agent, has said he will be looking to cash in during Free Agency, so I would be willing to guarantee that by mid season next year or at the end of next season Jones' will no longer be a Brave. I don't believe the budget watching Braves will want to pay out that much to resign him.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA
    I can't stand Boras. Jones is worth the money to keep.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I think the Braves will ante up and do what it takes to keep Jones, unless they get an offer that is just too good to be true. I don't see that happening, since no team bit on Soriano and other big names at the deadline. When push comes to shove, Jones will be in Atlanta. I am sick if seeing these salaries escalate so high agian. Baseball is heading down that raod again. Are we going to see teams cry poverty again in a couple of years? I really feel Atlanta will keep Jones in Atlanta.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'd trade for him, but I would not trade James. They can have Lerew and crap.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    They won't be able to get him without giving up James, from everything the D-Rays seem to be sayin'.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito
    I'd trade for him, but I would not trade James. They can have Lerew and crap.
    Agreed. Asking for James, is asking too much im my opinion but the Devil Rays usually do well when asking for more in terms of their players real value. But I don't believe you will see any deal involving James if they do in fact choose to heavily pursue Baldelli.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Not only should they trade James, but can they really afford to give up pitching, especially top prospects? I think NOT. Offense wasn't really Atlanta's problem last year anyways, it was pitching.

MLB ERA
    I wouldn't trade him IMO, he's one of the best players on that team.

MLB ERA
    The Braves may be willing to part with top prospects Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Yunel Escobar, though the Rays may want pitching in the package.
    General won't that would he?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Rays need pitching and shouldn't settle for less than James. Baldelli is 25 and would be in the Braves plans for quite some time. Braves still guys like Kyle Davies.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    James is better than Davies, who will probably be nothing more than average. Sure, they can have Salt. We already have a young catcher who's proven to be allstar caliber.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast