Thread: Padilla Nears Deal With Rangers

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Padilla Nears Deal With Rangers

According to the Dallas Morning News, the Rangers and Vicente Padilla are expected to settle on a three-year deal worth more than $30 million.
    FOXSports.con's Ken Rosenthal says it will be a three-year, $34 million contract with an option for a fourth year. Padilla wanted four guaranteed years, but like the Rangers, neither the Mets nor the Cardinals -- the other finalists for his services -- were willing to go that far.
    Now if only they could sign Zito.

MLB ERA
    A source told ESPN.com that the Rangers and Vicente Padilla have reached a preliminary agreement on a three-year, $34 million contract.
    That's the same number quoted by FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal earlier, though ESPN says nothing about a fourth-year option. Padilla isn't worth $11 million per year, of course, but he does look like a better bet than Ted Lilly, Gil Meche and Jeff Suppan to us and none of those guys are going to go for much less than that. In fact, Padilla is the only one in the group likely to settle for the three-year commitment.
    Source: ESPN.com

I see it happening.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

I don't like it, but then again, I wouldn't pay Padilla half of that.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    No way he's worth that. He pitched very well for Texas last year but not well enough to warrant more than $10 mil a year. Just another sign at the state of the FA market. I wonder how much they will be willing to shell out for Zito now after giving an average at best pitcher this kind of money.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000