Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manny Being Manny

MLB ERA
    Ability to get on base?

MLB ERA
    yes
    Again, I reiterate the White Sox are not likely to trade for Manny. I would expect them to upgrade their team through other acquisitions.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    Manny Ramirez is not playing for the White Sox next year. Neither is Scott Podsednik.

MLB ERA
    OK. I assume the White Sox will make some moves to strengthen their pitching. Podsednik could be part of these deals. Pierre could move into LF for them, not damaging their defense at all, and Anderson could stay in CF.
    I agree. Manny will not change Sox this off-season.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

I wouldn't be that surprised to see Omar Minaya make a move for Manny. The Mets have been interested for a few years now, even when Manny first signed with the Sox. But it doesn't really matter, no matter where he ends up he will be demanding a trade at the deadline, because Manny is just Manny, nobody really gets him.

I am thoroughly convinced that Manny is one of the best pure hitters of all time, if he doesn't want to get out he simply won't get out, and who else could you possibly say that about? But, he doesn't show up to play some days, because if he did I see him as a .400 lifetime hitter with 600 homeruns at this point in his career. I've seen the way he plays against the yankees, he's in the zone every single pitch and just doesn't miss. You can't exactly blame his numbers against the yankees on pitching because they are always above average in that department, so you have to hand it to Manny's pure talent.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Looshius I agree......although the yankee are not always above average with their pitching. Ramirez does have god like abilities. But I do not want him on the mets. First, he costs to much money. Secondly, he does not hustle all the time. Granted a 162 game season can get long and tedious at times, but there are times that if he hustled he could turn singles into doubles and so on. Third, he is a headcase. Unless the Red Sox want to eat atleast 1/2 the contract I don't want him on the team.

MLB ERA
    I would almost guarantee that the Red Sox will not eat any of Manny's contract, unless they get some incredible talent for him (and cheap talent). He is one of the best hitters in the game when he wants to be. He takes at bats off, innings off, games off and weeks off too much for my liking. I remember when he was with the Indians, as a young player. He hustled every play. He would steal bases, although not often. He beat out infield hits. Hitting behind Lofton, Vizquel, Robby Alomar and in front of Thome made it easy for him to see a lot of fastballs. No one wanted to face him with the bases loaded or wanted to walk him to get to Thome, either.
    His ego was in check, as the Indians were winning division titles regularly while he was there. I was surprised they allowed him to leave when he did and they missed his bat in the middle of their line-up. They will not, however, be willing to take on his ego again, I think.
    Only a team with a very strong manager would be a candidate for this ego. That rules out most of the teams that might otherwise think about bidding for his services.
    The Yankees, Mets, Dodgers and Angels are the only ones with the money and managers to handle Manny, IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12