Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manny Being Manny

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Manny Being Manny

I am the first to say that I hate Manny as a person because of this baby shit but here we go again.
    According to the Boston Globe's Gordon Edes, Manny Ramirez has again requested a trade away from the Red Sox.
    And it's only worth one line in one Boston paper. Manager Terry Francona said Saturday that he was unaware of the request, which was reportedly made by agent Greg Genske on behalf of Ramirez. As many requests as they've ignored before, it seems obvious now that the Red Sox are only going to trade Ramirez if they think it makes sense for them. It's unclear whether Ramirez, who took batting practice on Thursday and Friday, will play again this year
    I think this will be the year the Red Sox will and can do it as another year isoff his contract. The Angels will have a real good shot as will the Dodgers if they wanted to.

MLB ERA
    I dont believe, he does this every single ****ing year, i'm sure the boston's management/players/fans are use to it by now.

yawn.

I'm not phased by this anymore
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Manny could bring the Red Sox some real pitching talent if they were to trade him to the right team. I would say that they should be able to get at least one major league player, one ready for major league play and a prospect or 2 for him.
    This said, I doubt if anything will happen this off-season, either.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Here's the problem: If you're the Angels, would you really trade the young Ervin Santana for Manny and his mood swings and massive remainder of his contract, let alone add one or two prospects to the deal? Likewise if you're the Dodgers, would you really trade Chad Billingsley for the aformentioned Manny and baggage? IMO, the only realistic trade possibility is Manny to the White Sox for Javier Vazquez or Freddy Garcia. Both are pricey veteran pitchers and Jerry Reinsdorf is deep pocketed.

Well, you know, the Red Sox ALWAYS put Ramirez on waivers to start the off-season, so anyone that wants to claim him, give up nothing, and take on $20 million in salary can do so. No one really wants to do that, so then we have teams thinking up creative trades to try and balance out the salary factor that Ramirez brings with him.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    IMO, the only realistic trade possibility is Manny to the White Sox for Javier Vazquez or Freddy Garcia. Both are pricey veteran pitchers and Jerry Reinsdorf is deep pocketed.
    Where would Manny play for the White Sox? They are pretty set in the outfield and at DH. Manny isn't likely to move to 2B or SS anytime soon.
    This trade would not make sense. Its hard to justify sitting either Thome or Konerko, or Anderson just to get ABs for Manny. With Anderson out, the defense suffers. Podsednik does not have a CF's arm, and Manny couldn't cover the field well enough to play there.
    I think the Red Sox are stuck with him for a while longer if this is their best trading partner.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It's hard to justify sitting Anderson? Ozzie Guillen has sat Anderson tons this year.

LF - Manny
    CF - Podsednik
    RF - Dye

MLB ERA
    Podsednik does not have the arm to be a CF on a regular basis. Their defense would suffer badly. When Anderson sat this season, he was replaced in CF by Mackoviak, leaving Podsednik in left.
    Again, I reiterate if this is the best trading partner the Red Sox can come up with, they will likely keep Manny for another year.

MLB ERA
    With Juan Pierre being available, and interested in playing for the White Sox, they are not likely going to show a lot of interest in trading 2 major league starters for Manny.
    Here is the potential lineup for the Sox:
    CF -- Pierre
    LF -- Podsednik
    RF -- Dye
    DH -- Thome
    1B -- Konerko
    C -- Pierzynski
    3B -- Crede
    SS -- Uribe (?)
    2B -- Iguchi

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Juan Pierre's arm strength in CF likens to Podsednik's, which you implied is a big enough liability to not bench the offensively inept Anderson.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catman
    Podsednik does not have the arm to be a CF on a regular basis. Their defense would suffer badly.
    Podsednik's arm in CF would be of no concern given that they would have Manny in LF. The team would be built around power-hitting. BTW, Podsednik can handle CF just as well as Johnny Damon can. He's played there for two full years in Milwaukee.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    If Manny was traded to the White Sox, I am sure the Red Sox would ask for Anderson as part of the trade since they are wanting to get rid of Crisp. Pierre and Pods in CF does make for two weak ass arms so why wouldn't they simply trade Garcia and Anderson to the Braves for Jones?

MLB ERA
    Pierre and Podsednik involved in a power-hitting offense? In any offense at all?

MLB ERA
    Take a look at the potential line-up:
    CF -- Pierre
    LF -- Podsednik
    RF -- Dye
    DH -- Thome
    1B -- Konerko
    C -- Pierzynski
    3B -- Crede
    SS -- Uribe (?)
    2B -- Iguchi.
    The power comes from the middle 5 in the line-up. The first 2 and last 2 offer speed and ability to get on base for the big bats to drive them in.
    This said, if the White Sox wish to improve their arm-strength in the outfield, they should trade for, or sign a CF that can throw well. Pierre does a good job of throwing to the proper base and takes good routes to balls in the gaps to make up for his poor throwing arm. He may not have the best arm in the business, but he has done OK, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast