Thread: Aubrey Huff and the Tigers

AA ERA

Tigers Aubrey Huff and the Tigers

The Detroit press seems to think Aubrey Huff is the perfect left-handed bat to add via trade. I'm assuming Huff would move to the DH spot, as the outfield of Marcus Thames, Curtis Granderson, and Magglio Ordonez seems pretty well set.

Would the Tigers really gain anything by adding Huff? Let's assume Dmitri Young doesn't play anymore this year. That still leaves Detroit with 29 year-old outfielder Craig Monroe on the roster. Monroe is pretty much back to game shape after missing some time with a sprained right ankle.

Monroe has hit .228/.271/.405 so far in 215 ABs this year. Among American League left fielders, only Nick Markakis has been worse. However, Monroe should ultimately come closer to his .273/.320/.451 projection. He makes less than $3MM.

Aubrey Huff has been even worse, hitting .200/.294/.303 in 155 ABs after missing about a month with a knee sprain. The lack of power is disturbing. Most people think getting Huff out of Tampa Bay would help him hit closer to his projection of .283/.340/.468.

Certainly, replacing Monroe with Huff would mean simply banking that Huff will play up to his projection and Monroe won't. The difference between the players is less than one win based on preseason projections. Huff's got the name value and the $6.75MM salary. Still, it wouldn't be a terrible gamble if the price is right.

But if the Tigers actually want to pick up a couple of wins by improving their DH spot, they should think bigger than Huff or Jeromy Burnitz. Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Lee, or Pat Burrell would make a measurable difference, handedness be damned. This is a legitimate World Series contender, right? Replacing Monroe with some other second tier player would be much ado about nothing.

To tell you the truth, I've said this before. I don't even see the need to add another bat to the Tigers lineup. If we can get a really good LH batter (Not Huff), then why not. As long as we don't have to trade away our young pitching, I'm all for it.

Our offense has been great lately, a LH bat is more of want, not really a need. If we could get a Pat Burrel, Carlos Lee, I'd be estatic. Nice post man.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    D Rays should have traded Huff when he had value. Huff sucks ass this year!

If he is traded, I would say it would be a Beltran style deal, acquire him and use him to make it to the playoffs, then give him up for the free agency at the end of the season.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxRock
    If he is traded, I would say it would be a Beltran style deal, acquire him and use him to make it to the playoffs, then give him up for the free agency at the end of the season.
    but he won't help, Huff has been a bust the past couple of seasons. The only way is the D-Rays would have to pick up his contract.

and not expect much in return.

Rookie ERA
    the key for Huff isnt so much his stats to this point of the year, his stats over the last 10 weeks till the deadline (so after May 16 or thereabouts) will be key. I suspect his recent resurgence may foster some interest in him, but my reckoning is that if any of the TB outfielders go, it'll be Crawford.

Brought up this thread again. Huff and Tigers, aren't a good fit. Hopefully it never happens.